Harmon Kardon HK330B Receiver - Spitting Noises on Phono! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by imarcq, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

Just a quick question for those in the know.

My trusty Harmon Kardon HK330B Receiver is now spitting VERY loudly through the phono stage only, even with no turntable attached. No noises at all on the other FM/AM/TAPE/AUX outputs - so that would eliminate any dodgy external or speaker wires. So the CD and radio play perfectly with no interference.

I'm wondering if it's the capacitor? But if so how would that only effect the Phono and not everything? Def not the volume pot as thats as quiet as a mouse, and even when on the phono stage doesn't correspond to the spitting noise which does it independently.

Any ideas or simple fixes folks?

2. imarcq

3. imarcq

Anyone?

4. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

5. imarcq

Thanks, thats a good idea :)

6. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I haven't the foggiest idea what your problem might be, but there is a service agent for HK products in Marrickville. They did a really good job on my receiver when some brat kid (not mine) blew it up a couple of years ago.
    http://www.jvpservicecentre.com.au/brands/harmonkardon/

Not sure whether they can service older models like yours, but if it can't hurt to ask.

7. imarcq

Thats an idea. Thanks. I'll check them out - but I somehow doubt they will touch my 1970's job with a ten foot barge pole. I did have a good idea though. I should still be able to use my turntable if I put it through an aux line input instead - if I can get hold of one of those phono/line converters. That might be a cheap fix? :)

8. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

It might be, but speaking as an owner of an HK330C, I'd be devastated knowing you were using a "cheap" alternative to its already wonderful phono preamp. To me, it makes sweet music and is surprisingly quiet for its vintage. I'd look into getting an estimate if possible, and then weigh that against an external preamp in the neighborhood of the Cambridge Audio 540p.

I'm not suggesting you pay whatever it takes to fix it, but I've not heard any truly cheap (sub-$100) standalone units worthy of replacing it. But as always, everyone's ears are different and your mileage may vary.

9. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

The phono section of your receiver most likely needs to be recapped. I would have it gone over by a competent technician.

An alternative would be to get an external phono preamp, however that will use up one of your already limited AUX inputs. The Hagerman Bugle is what I use when pairing with my HK 930 receiver.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Likely what needs to be done. It's actually not that hard to do yourself if you:

1) Know how to use the internet and get the list of required replacements from Audiokarma.org
    2) If you don't know what to do and how to do it, you have the patience to work that out (again by visiting Audiokarma.org)
    3) Are ok with soldering.
    4) Are not an idiot like me and didn't bother to read everything that he should have read. :)

Actually I'd be surprised if Audiokarma.org doesn't already have several threads about this very problem on this very model.

But you can always get a qualified tech to do it.

Eddie

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I would try contact cleaner on your input selector switch (called "Function" on your model) before anything. Every Harmon Kardon I've ever had needed that switch cleaned. With it dirty, the noises you hear can and do happen.

12. imarcq

That could be an easy thing to try, thanks. :righton:

13. imarcq

Yes thats a very valid point. I would be devastated if it sounded inferior, which seems likely doesn't it? Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

14. imarcq

I already have a 3:1 converter going into the aux - so I guess a 4:1 would be needed anyway. I reckon I'll have to try a tech as another member has suggested that the sound might not be as good as it is now. I didn't consider that aspect.

15. imarcq

Thanks Eddie. I'd probably solder my finger to the chassis! I think a tech is going to be my best bet, and until then I'll maybe just try a phono/line converter, unless it sounds so noticeably crappy that I can't stand it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.