Harry Nilsson's The Point.... Any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Remurmur, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ Thread Starter

Back in 1971, the singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson rather cleverly persuaded the ABC Network to green light an idea he had for an animated feature about a young rounded headed boy who lived in a land where everyone had pointed heads and everything that existed there had points.

It was a whimsical story with a serious message, addressing the need the need to overcome intolerance and bigotry.

The animation, which was simply but effectively drawn, suited the story well and Nilsson's music, which was written specifically for the project, was quite wonderful IMO.

I recently bought a DVD of The Point and watched it recently for the first time for many years and was quite charmed by it. It really is a fascinating piece of work whose message still resonates today.

Is anyone else here a fan of The Point? Have you watched it recently or if not, do you remember the original airing on ABC back in 1971?

I did a search and nothing came up so I am hoping this is new ground for some discussion.

drasil likes this.
  2. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I vaguely remember watching it in the early 70s, and I used to own the soundtrack LP. My favorite song was "Me and My Arrow".

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, it was OK but it was kind of a long shaggy-dog story dragged out to 90 minutes. Some stories are better off as a short, maybe 20 minutes (tops). But I really loved Nilsson's hit song. "Doo-do-do-do do-doo do-doo doo doo..."

anthontherun likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Then there is the Ringo version Vs the Dustin Hoffman version Vs Allan Thicke version

5. Remurmur

Yes. Dustin Hoffman did the narration on the original broadcast version which due to contractual reasons, could not be reused. I have never heard the Alan Thicke version and the DVD version I have is Ringo doing the narration. I think he does a good job but I would love to have the original Hoffman version which is available on YouTube.

6. Remurmur

It does meander a bit in the Pointless Forest and perhaps could have been better served as a one hour special, but there is just something about it that I find both quirky and charming.

I agree that the song you mention, Me and My Arrow is quite excellent.

As a dog lover, listening to that song always reminds of some of the dogs that I've owned and it has gotten me misty eyed on occasion.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Scooterpiety and Vidiot like this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Yes, I enjoy it a lot, and own the DVD.

Remurmur likes this.
  8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I first saw it in the early 80's either on HBO, Cinemax or the newer Disney Channel. It was interesting. I got the soundtrack lp like 10 years ago.

9. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I've enjoyed both the album and the animated show for many years now. It's another side to Nilsson that isn't discussed very often. He was so talented and could have gone in so many directions with his talent. I'm sure he could have just written stories for more of this type of program and had a successful string of hit programs. Imagine him doing a Bullwinkle type show. The music for the Point always struck me as being the most gentle music he ever released and again shows another direction he could have taken. The demon booze and his seeming lack of direction about following up on his successes took many possible creations out before they ever got a chance. The Point is worth seeing if you've not seen it. If you like Nilsson and want to explore more, try it.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hope there is more discussion.

Remurmur likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Love the album but I could do without the narration.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I too would love to hear the songs standing alone. Great tunes.

D-rock and aoxomoxoa like this.
  12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I love the DVD and so did my kids. Today, kids think it is boring as I tried to show it to some middle schoolers. And yet this is the generation that is so worried about diversity. Go figure. I guess if they could have watched it on their phones it would have been better. The music is still great as is the story. I have the LP as well.

AndyNicks, Grand_Ennui and aoxomoxoa like this.
  13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Listening to the lp now. What a great concept album.

Remurmur and Reader like this.
  14. Remurmur

Just listened to it yesterday.

Wonderful stuff..: )

15. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Do you have the comic that came with the 1st pressings way back when? It's fun to look and is another example of extras that LPs used to have.

O Don Piano and JamieC like this.
  16. Remurmur

The CD version that I own has a comic book with it that is 7 pages of comics + a cover page. Sadly, it is also CD sized so a bit hard to read without magnification.

But I am thinking that it may be the same one that came with the original LP.

How many pages is yours?

17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Can't get to it right now, I'm not at home, and I don't remember. I've listened to the vinyl recently but didn't do more than glance at the comic. I'm sure someone else here has a copy handy. In fact is there a copy anywhere on the internet that can be downloaded? The comic, not the music.

Can't get "Me and My Arrow" out of my head. A wonderful song.

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Rememember Plymouth using Me And My Arrow as the music in commercials for the Arrow? Perfect use of it.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  19. Remurmur

That's OK and yes...it is ....:)

20. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

My favorite Nilsson album. When I was a child, my Uncle used to put the record on and read out the story with me as we looked at the drawings.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My son, when he was ten, loved the album. All he wanted to listen to. So, Harry, it worked.

My favorite song after "Arrow" is "Think About Your Troubles." I remember "Me and My Arrow" being on the radio a lot.

D-rock likes this.
  22. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I saw it when it originally aired and haven't seen the complete show since, but I liked it and remember a lot of it.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I have it and watched it for the first time in about 10 years last month.
    Still enjoyed it! Good tunes, and Oblio sort of reminds me of Charlie Brown (it must the round head..)

24. Remurmur

That and Oblio's voice has a bit of a "Linus" quality to it, I think...:)

25. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Great thread. I've always tried to explain The Point to people, but few recall it.

I was five or six when it came out, and my mother made as big of a deal out of watching it as a family. She'd make treats for all the kids and her and her friends would smoke a little mother nature and watch it with us. I recall that ABC played The Point annually for a few years after it originally aired, and we always watched it with the same ritual reserved for Yellow Submarine.

I've always taken my cartoons seriously, and from an art perspective, I was kind of unimpressed with the look of The Point. Even as a kid, I thought it was a little dark. For me, it was all about the music. My mother bought the vinyl album immediately, and it was in very regular rotation for many years after. I still have that original vinyl with the original comic book insert. We used to put the album on Dad's quadrophonic system and read along with it. I bought a CD version of the album, but the vinyl is the best way to listen to it.

I think the whole album is great. It's got an old sound to it that reminds me distinctly of the way the world felt when I was a little kid in 1971. It's one of those albums that allows me to go back in time to when it was new.

O Don Piano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.