Harry Shearer Fired from THE SIMPSONS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

And Paul Lynde

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And Charles Nelson Reilly's...

Huh-huh-HUUUUUUH!

guy incognito and JamieC like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

One of the best 'running gags' on The Simpsons; pulling the collar of your shirt, and going, "NUuuuuuh-uhh!"

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That was really a musical phrase he sang. Just writing it out loses the tone and inflection that made it funny.
    It stands along with Dishonest John's Nyah Ah Ah as non verbal catchphrases.

5. Fox has demonstrated they don't care about the talented cast that brings the show to life. Greedy, greedy studio.

guy incognito, Vidiot and George P like this.
  6. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I hope they work this out and Harry is back. I have not watched the show on a regular basis in over a decade. I have watched an occasional episode now and then. It is not bad. I think they should wrap the show up if they start getting rid of the original voice actors. Nearly 600 episodes seems like enough to me.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Speaking of details, the voice of Homer is Dan Castellaneta, not Shearer.:)

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This. Harry Shearer is certainly NOT a lazy prima donna. Individuals with a combination of talent and work ethic at that level are few and far between.

guy incognito likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

It's a good question as to why FOX keeps pushing it on. I would've canned it after 500 episodes, just on the basis of, "anything past this, we're not really going to make any money since it's not going to sell the show in any more markets or get it seen on more TV stations or do more downloads." At some point, it's nice to just pull the plug and say, "if we try to keep the plates spinning longer, we're just going to drop more and more of them over time."

Head producer/creator James L. Brooks is 75, so he's even older than Shearer (71). I would think at some point, you'd kick back and relax and enjoy your life.

guy incognito, dlokazip and wayne66 like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Jack Benny Podcast 1955-05-15 (923) A friend at Union Station (Transcribed 1955-02-16) (Buck, Harry Shearer, and Rogerchester)

Penultimate episode of Jack Benny's radio show, featuring a clip from a recent interview with Harry Shearer and Harry is in the episode making his last appearance on Jack's radio show. A fun episode well worth listening to. Great send offs of Mel Blanc's train station announcer, Frank Nelson's ticket seller, and Sheldon Leonard's racetrack tout!
    [​IMG]

Harry's face hasn't changed at all!

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wonder if they can digitally alter someone's voice to sound like who they want it to be.

12. vince

Has anyone mentioned how much the 'talent' got on the newly syndicated showing of old episodes on the FXX channel?
    They sure show a lot of 'em!

13. Yes, you are correct. Now for the "reasons"
    Truth: I made a mistake and simply named the first character that came to mind as an example to my point...Sorry.
    I am getting old and my mind wandered to other things. After all it is a long time between a thought and actually typing said thought.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They get him back yet ?

15. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Maybe they want to pass "Gunsmoke" in most episodes ever. The Simpson's need 29 seasons for that.

I suppose there is the danger that if FOX drops it, another network will pick it up and beat you in the time slot and you get bad publicity for it.

16. vince

dunno... (said in an english accent)
    :shrug:

17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

When all is said and done, can you imagine the box set of ALL episodes? WHEW!!

Classicolin likes this.
  18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

So I'm watching Jake and The Never Land Pirates (waiting for Sofia the First with granddaughter) and the Capt. Hook character does a ringer of Hans Conried's vox from Disney's Peter Pan.
    Are there royalties? Revised credits?
    [​IMG]

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When's the cut off for voice session for the opening show of the upcoming season? Or could Harry overdub his parts last minute over the temporary summer replacement voice actor.

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Al Jean: "It's a little vague because we have seven holdover [episodes already completed]. The new episodes featuring his characters that haven't been recorded by him don't air until November. So I would say we have the summer to figure it out."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/simpsons-harry-shearer-al-jean-795715

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think Maurice La Marche and Billy West could pull off most of the characters.
    The ones they can't should be killed off.

22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Ok, this kind of blows my mind that Harry has been a performer at this level for over 60 years! I mean, a voice actor with Jack Benny??? That's being a real actor in a big position to me.

23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Between the 38 seasons that the Jack Benny Show ran in prime time on Radio and television and the 26 years that the Simpsons have been in prime time, means that Harry Shearer has been a part of shows that have been in prime time for an amazing 64 seasons!

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

That guy does do any amazing job on the Captain Hook vocals!

25. I've always said Harry is show business royalty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.