Has Anyone Had Both AT-150MLX and AT-150ANV?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

First off I'll say the AT-150MLX is my favorite cartridge. I've kicked around the idea of springing for the AT-150ANV from LPGear, but it's more than twice the cost of the MLX.

I'd like to hear what anyone who has had both think.

This is straight from an Audio Technica staff member when asked about the carts:

Question
    AT150ANV LIMITED EDITION
    How does the sound of the AT150ANV compare to the regular AT150MLX? What changes will I hear or what areas of the sound have been improved?
    User Type: Other
    Experience: Novice

asked 3 years, 8 months ago
    [​IMG]
    Anonymous
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    on AT150ANV LIMITED EDITION Premium VM Cartridge

1 answer
    Thank you for your inquiry. You will hear no sound difference between the two.
    Experience: Pro
    Staff

2. It seems that the folks at AT just saved you some money lol! I can't speak for the AT-150ANV but I just swapped out my AT-150 MLX for an AT-33PTG/II and noticed a significant improvement in my system. The treble seems less tipped up which gives a better balance to my ears and the bass seems to be more powerful. Overall, I'm very pleased with my latest AT cartridge as I thought the AT-150mlx was great and was a bit apprehensive about making a change.

3. Lymbo

Yeh, I can't believe the difference in price if there is no improvement. Is it just a collector's item?? I've also looked at the AT-33PTG/II and the AT-OC9 MKII. I guess I'll go with one of those. Just don't know which one yet.

4. Steve64

Steve64 Forum Resident

Lymbo, don't you already have an ortofon Quintet black?

5. Lymbo

I had to sell it when I lost a job last year. :(

6. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

The 150ANV has a solid sapphire cantilever vs the MLX's gold sputtered boron cantilever. The sapphire cantilever has a higher natural resonance and should minimize high frequency distortion as a result. Whether or not you will be able to hear a difference will depend on your system and your ears, but it's worth noting that many of Audio-Technica and Signet's top cartridges over the years have had gemstone (either diamond or sapphire) cantilevers.

7. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have an AT150ANV and am currently running the ATN150MLX stylus on it.

AT150ANV: - slightly uplifted top end with a 'shimmer' to percussion instruments etc, smooth midrange and deep punchy bass. Bass has greater transient attack than the Ortofon 2M Black I used previously.
    Using the ATN150MLX stylus: - If there is a difference to the ANV stylus then it must be very subtle because I cannot detect it but the MLX is easier to align and seems to have lower surface noise. I must also say that both stylii track just about anything without distortion apart from a few well-played albums from my student days in the '70s.

One thing that Audio Technica also advised me, which I am a bit sceptical about is the tracking force using the MLX stylus. The ANV body is heavier & recommended tracking force is around 1.5gms. For the MLX it should be nearer 1.25gms but they said that the MLX on the ANV body should also be around 1,5gms. I found that midrange seemed a bit congested at between 1.5-1.55 but it sounds best at the 1.38gms I am currently running at.

If I was purchasing again, I would stay with the MLX (but I am going to try either a Nagaoka MP500 or Audio Note IQ3 sometime next year)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. Lymbo

Thank you for that detail. Much appreciated. I've found it hard to beat the MLX (in my system and with my ears) and I've tried the 2M Black and even the Ortofon Quintet Black. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the AT-33EV.

9. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Hey, just doing some cartridge research and was wondering if you ever tried / auditioned the MP500 or IQ3?

10. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Yes, I auditioned both - the MP500 was very 'nice' but a bit too polite & laid back for my tastes.

I have been using the IQ3 for more than a year and it is hard to fault. It's detailed, lively, very musical and tracks well.

(I was offered an IQ2 for £50 with a supposedly damaged stylus (fixed in about 10 minutes) & bought an IQ3 stylus for it. I also run it with a Goldring 1042 stylus which is excellent for every day listening and pretty similar sounding to the IQ versions).

Shiver likes this.
  11. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Drewan - are the Audio Note and Goldring styli dimensions/geometries exactly the same in terms of alignment and VTA? ... As in if you align the cart with the IQ stylus in then swap to the Goldring it will be right? Thanks

12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Yes they are, same VTF, VTA, alignment etc - it's just a stylus swap for the Goldring 1000 series into an IQ body because the alignment 'pin' on the Goldrings fit the AN hole (but not vice-versa).

13. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

14. jmowbray

jmowbray Forum Resident

This is a couple of years old but the last statement about gemstone cantilevers is not correct. Very few AT and Signet carts had gemstone cantilevers - only the limited edition AT's and the Signet TK100LC, IIRC.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.