Has anyone heard the new Clapton live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

There is a Eric Clapton album that was just released two days ago it also has a limited edition dvd with it. Has anyone heard it whats on the dvd?

2. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Haven't listened or viewed yet, but the DVD with the CDs is the same one that is being sold separately (Tower has the DVD alone on sale $14.99). It is 128 minutes long and contains the August 18, 2001 concert at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

the dvd is quite good btw[as are the cd's]

4. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I really like the new Clapton live set. Great tracklist - right balance of old of new, blues and pop. A choice cover in "Over The Rainbow" - if that doesn't bring a smile to your face, nothing will. Nice stretch of Pilgrim material, adding some real live muscle to stuff like "My Father's Eyes". Layla sounds fiery and totally alive after years of saturated play of the unplugged shufffle version. A big, wide open sound throughout.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

It is a nice collection but I do miss the fiery Clapton of old. This is the safe, adult contemporary version of Eric--I'm not complaining--I'm used to this version of Eric by now but I had to put on Crossroads 2 to remind me that the guy used to play with an element of danger. The new set is a bit too "perfect" and "clinical" for me in terms of repeated listening. It's a nice recording--although I wish it weren't so "bright" sounding. Bob Ludwig did a nice job with the mastering. Someone will likely respond to this post with a reference to Eric's alcohol and drug intake in the 70's being responsible for the element of danger that I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure if I believe that but there is something about this version of Eric that makes me wish he would get back to playing what he really wants to play instead of what he thinks we want to hear. I love him and will continue to listen but I do miss the Eric who played not only to please us but to please himself.

BTW, I picked up the 2 discs with the DVD at a small independent store for $22.99. --a great deal.

6. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Is the DVDin widescreen? Hope so.

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It not as if I was debating on getting the set or not Clapton is one of those who I will get anything. I didnt catch the last tour but I did see the one Pilgrim tour in Berlin (Jimmy Vaughan opening that leg and Bonnie Rait opening the shows earlier in the tour.) Clapton was great and did a great set. I love his Crossroads 2 boxset and think the Budakan album is fantastic.
    Weekend is here it means a trip into the city I know one thing I'll be getting.

Dose anyone know is any of Steves SACD's are available at any retail stores??????????????

8. I am a HUGE Eric fan. The first time I saw him play live was in 1968 when he was w/ Cream.

One of his best concerts was just after he released the Unplugged CD. This was his first concert tour after his son died. Talk about a fiery Eric. He was tremendous!!! He was off drugs and off booze and it showed. The guy was bristling with electric energy. It was obvious that he loved what he was doing because he smiled through the concert. I do agree that he has become very mellow lately. Of course, we have to realize thst he is almost 60!!!!

9. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Clapton sux

Clapton hasn't played a soulful note since the Bluesbreakers and not a single rockin' note since Cream. Pure unadulterated placebo-breaking wish-I-was-Barry-Manilow guitar and voice processing since Layla. All hail Phil Collins and the anglo-auto stairway to mediocrity.

10. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

EC still the man

Uh, time for your oat bran, grumpy old man.

Yeah, the Layla album wasn't soulful at all.....

11. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

OK. Overstated my case. Eric had a gift that he traded in for whatever reason. How can a man so empowered with talent as Eric Clapton never strive to furthur his art and take some chances, like he once did? I realize, as someone put it on this list, EC is in his 60's; I determined from that conotation, that we should be happy with the level at which EC has been playing for the past few decades because of his age. Nope, I want to hear a musician going to the wall each and everytime that musician goes to the plate. My ears tell me that EC has chosen the lazy route. I was wrong by far. EC does NOT suck. I give you that much.

12. Sky,

Are you suggesting that Eric hang it up? But consider this, The Beatles "Abbey Road" album was very much different than their earlier albums. In fact, one could argue that the songs on it were more mellow than "Twist and Shout" and "I saw her standing there". Abbey Road is no less intense than The Beatles earlier albums, it is just more refined. But hey, As one ages, things change, the roughness gets smoothed out. Maybe Eric has just become more refined.

However, I did not like Eric's Pilgrim and Reptile CD's. Just not my cup of tea.

John

13. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Clapton, at his peak, was when he was in John Mayall's band.

His music ventures with and after the Yardbirds, soured whatever fire was in him, and he just didn't seem happy with what he was doing. Cream did him in, as far as any interest in what he was doing, musically.

Sad, because he is a talented musician...but now, a soulless robot.

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have to disagree with the accusations of "soul-less robot" and comparisons to Barry Manilow. OK--the guy doesn't have to prove anything anymore--he knows that but, come on. He is still capable of moments of brilliance--listen to "Riding With The King", B.B. really brought some nice playing out of Eric. Going back a bit further, 1994's "From The Cradle" was a risk that paid off--one of the only times an all blues album has gone to number one on the top 200 album charts AND it was a damn good album. The comment that Eric hasn't played anything with soul since The Bluesbreakers is ludicrous--have you listened to the following?

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (1968)
    Layla and other assorted love songs (1970)
    Derek & The Dominoes-Fillmore album (recorded 1970)
    461 Ocean Boulevard "Better Make It Through Today"(1974)
    Crossroads 2 (all live in the 70's and smokin')
    Just One Night (recorded 1979) "Double Trouble" (whoa)
    BobFest appearance (Oct. 1992) "Don't Think Twice" (again--whoa)
    From The Cradle (1994)
    and check out the scorching version of "Sunshine Of Your Love" on the new live album "One More Car, One More Rider"--it is really amazing.

The Bluesbreakers album was great but I think you are more in love with his tone than anything else. The amp was on 10, the tubes were glowing hot and he was playing a Les Paul--it sounded great but it was not his last recorded evidence of soulful playing--that is just an irresponsible statement.

Mike

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There has been far too much thread-crapping going on today.

To our newest members, please read the "Forum Rules" down at the bottom of the page. To write "Clapton Sux" is unacceptable.

This is quoted from our rule book:

"Additionally, many different types of music are discussed in the forums. Statements about a members' personal taste or negative comments about whole genres of music are not allowed (Example: "All rap sucks!"). Note that this is particularly frowned upon if the thread is an appreciation thread for that type of music (Example: Do not post "Michael Jackson is a nut-case" in a thread titled "What do you think Michael Jackson's best album is?").

I have no problem in someone saying that they like or dislike Eric's new album, but please no blatant generalizations.

Thanks one and all.

16. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Sorry, all.

17. No big deal.

So, since you do not like Eric Clapton's music any more, who do you like?

18. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I am guessing that Sky is a huge fan of the Seeds.

mud-

19. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

20. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

So, since you do not like Eric Clapton's music any more, who do you like?

Beau Brummels, Ted Templeman productions, Peter Green's FM, Sir Douglas, Los Lobos, The Savage Rose, Bob Dylan's last two albums, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, The Seeds first two albums, and of course Steve Hoffman's remasterings!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.