Has anyone heard VPI's new integrated tube amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGruder, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

So I've had my demo in use for about a week now. I can firmly say that this is an impressive integrated. Incredible build quality and very easy to use (love the remote and bias meter). Huge soundstage, and extremely good detail. I've only run 34's in it, so need to swap in some KT88's at some point to see what differences I can find.

So far, I have tried it with DeVore 0/96's, Alta Audio Rheas, and in the last few days, a pair of DeVore Gibbon The Nines that I just traded for. Does a fantastic job with all of these speakers.

2. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

bluemooze, GoldprintAudio and james like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I saw one of these in a system at Music Direct yesterday. It looks really nice- seems like a value.

4. Beautiful amp. Too bad it's limited to 100 units--I bet they will sell out incredibly quickly.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

I still cannot believe ElusiveDisc has an open-box model for sale at $600 off retail and no one has bit. If I didn't already have one I would be all over that.

*I am in no way affiliated with them

bajaed likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

These are really impressive units! Loving my demo even more as I listen to it.

As an FYI, I have 2 new left if anyone is looking for one!! :righton:

7. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Hi Avanti - Sooo.. does MusicDirect have a customer showroom now? I know when I've talked to them in the past, they didn't. If so, I'll have to stop by and check it out!

8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Same Guttenberg that says that "VPI could be the worlds best turntables come from NJ?", or recommending the new defunct VPI Traveler, or whatever else is out there. Wonder if he has an VPI gear of his own? Free? Greatly discounted? There's very little I would take as recommendations from CNET. As a matter of fact I would not be so inclined to buy anything recommended by CNET without research on my own (as should anyone else making any kind of purchase). I was looking briefly for any poor to midling rating of his for any product and can't seem to find one - granted I didn't look too hard, 30 or 40 reviews haha.

Disclaimer: I have not heard nor seen any of the new amps in person so can not say either way that this would smoke a Primaluna or such.

9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I enjoy reading Steve's post and include his thoughts, along with other reviewers as helpful.

He bought a VPI Classic in 2012 and I think it's part of his reference gear.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Who would buy an instant orphan from a company that has stated explicitly they have no interest in building amps?

It's a very expensive Cayin. And I like Cayin gear a lot but they're not known for their product support in this country. Which is a real shame. I wish VPI would actually become the Cayin importer instead of having them make one run of one amp for them.

McLover likes this.
  11. I don't think it's a Cayin. Cayin might have made some parts for the amp, but it was engineered and assembled in the USA--actually, VPI said that the US parts content is high enough for it to be labeled Made in the USA.

12. GoldprintAudio

Why not? It's a superbly built unit that sounds quite incredible. VPI is fully backing this unit themselves for any warranty if it's needed. And it pretty much falls in line price wise with the rest of the Cayin gear (their KT88 amp retails at $3495).

Some people, myself included, like things that are a little different, or limited production items.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

And although Cayin did help with some of the design and build aspects of the amp, it really is a "one off" unit from VPI, built/assembled by VPI in New Jersey.

McLover likes this.
  14. jeff133

jeff133 New Member

Hi all. New member here. I recently purchased one out of curiosity as I've never owned a good tube amplifier before and I wanted to dip my toes in the water. I've been using a Rowland Continuum S2 prior to the VPI, and I have enjoyed it immensely. After about two weeks of listening, I have to say that I'm amazed by this VPI amplifier. There is no doubt that the Rowland is more detailed and truer to the source, but I'm not sure that's really the most important thing in the long run. The VPI is very easy to listen to and I like some recordings better through the VPI than I do through the Rowland. It's just FUN to listen to, and that's really what it's all about. As a purely analytical tool, the Roland is better, but I have to say that I enjoy them both equally. Not bad for an amplifier that costs 40% as much as the Rowland!

My only nits about the amp are the remote, which is kind of cheap (...but then again, so is the Rowland), and I also wish it did not have the tone controls because I would rather have a more streamlined circuit. I don't have any experience with other tube amplifiers so I can't say how it compares to say Primaluna, but overall I think this is a really great amplifier and I'm glad I bought it.

15. GoldprintAudio

Great to hear that you are loving yours! I've sold 5 of them so far, and all the customers that purchased them are enjoying them like you are. It really is a nice integrated.

jlc76 likes this.
  16. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

My co-worker has one of these and I have extensively listened to it. He uses it to drive a large pair of Usher speakers. Briefly, it sounds fantastic. Very natural and liquid sound. The different power settings change up the sound if you want a different flavor. I would definitely consider buying one if you want the SET tube sound but have a pair of speakers that are a little harder to drive.

I have a Line Magnetic 518IA but it's difficult to make a comparison because the rest of our systems are so different. I will say that I really appreciated the VPI's five inputs (including phono) against the three of the Line Magnetic. I have also heard the Primaluna integrated but I didnt like it too much when I heard it driving a pair of B&W 805D.

GoldprintAudio and bluemooze like this.
  17. jeff133

jeff133 New Member

Also, I spoke with the designer of the amplifier at VPI and he said the amplifier has the ability to run KT150 (!!) output tubes, although that would require removing the tube cage for clearance. He's been running his that way and he highly recommended it. Mine is still breaking in the stock EL34s, but I might experiment with the other tubes down the road if I'm feeling spendy.

McGruder and Billy Budapest like this.
  18. jeff133

jeff133 New Member

Here's an update to my update. I have been using KT120s in my VPI 299d for about a week now. Wow, what a difference over the EL34s! There is so much more clarity, dynamics, and realism. Simply put, it's a more balanced overall presentation. As good as this amp is with EL34s, it's worlds better with KT120s. There's no turning back for me now. I'm really glad I bought this amplifier!

McGruder likes this.
  19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

My experience, as a Cayin US dealer for eight years now, is quite the opposite.

Real Cayin US gear gets real Cayin customer support, which has been fantastic in my experience.

There are not many companies around where you can get the designer on the line to troubleshoot any issues or questions...

Unfortunately there is also a lot of grey market gear out there which, for obvious reasons, would fall outside this support system.

20. jeff133

jeff133 New Member

It's official. I like my VPI 299d so much that I sold my Rowland Continuum S2 integrated amplifier (which sells for almost $10k new)! This amplifier has exceeded my expectations by a mile. I bought it on a whim just to try out a tube amplifier, not expecting to be so captivated by its sound. It is not as "detailed" or analytical as the Rowland, but I find it to be more fun to listen to overall. On truly great recordings, the Rowland is amazing. But it's also difficult to listen to with poor recordings. That's the price to be paid with a high resolution solid state amplifier. The VPI just seems to sound good with everything, and that's why I'm keeping it. Yes, you can say that what I'm reacting to is the inherent distortion of the amplifier, but I really don't care. It's all about the fun of listening to music in my home, and the VPI just does it better (for me). Others may rightfully disagree, but that's the fun of this hobby!

21. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile Thread Starter

Jeff, thanks for sharing impressions. I'm curious, do you tend to use the triode or ultra-linear mode of operation for the majority of listening? I wonder what the peak amplification is with the KT-120's. I'm sure you're wondering how KT-150's might sound. I love them in my Quicksilver V4 monos.

22. Eulypion

Eulypion New Member

So it's been a little over a year since the last post on "Has anyone heard VPI's new integrated tube amp?" and I am wondering how are the people that bought the 299D enjoying it?

1) Are you glad you bought it? 2) Do you still have it? 3) How has it held up? Any issues - has anything gone wrong ? 4) How would you describe the sound now that you have had plenty of time to play around with it? 5) What other equipment have you found that mates well with the VPI 229D amp? 6) What do you like best about it? 7) What bugs you the most? 8) Would you buy it again if you had to do again? 9)What would you say if your best friend ask you if he or she should buy it?

OK the truth comes out. I am thinking about buying one and I want some feedback from those that have one. Guilty as charged. I am thinking about putting it in a system with Klipsch La Scala speakers. It is such a beautiful amp and I am hoping it sounds as good as it looks.

Cheers...Eulypion

23. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

1.)Totally glad I bought it. 2.)Still have it! 3.)No issues at all. 4.)very rich sound, especially with my Klipsch Chorus IIs, my old Peachtree Nova sounded very thin compared to this. 5.)mates well with horns, with my chorus IIs I can turn it past 12 o'clock without it being too loud (like 90+ db), most of the time 1/4 volume is plenty for serious listening. 6.)the efficiency 7.)I wish the phono section was tube as well but it still sounds good. 8.)I would buy again every time. I went through a lot of gear before I decided this was the end for me. If I could do separates then I might choose a different setup but my house situation prevents that. 9.)I would ask if they had really efficient speakers.

I think they'll make those La Scalas sing.

Dino and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Late to join this gathering (04/2018). Thanks to everyone who provided their reviews. I found them to pretty much match the published reviews. Just sold my Cayin A-50T (in 30 minutes - YES!) to lower the blow on the price. I'll be sure to add to the conversation when she arrives. Feels like 2 days before Christmas and I'm 8 years old.

Jerry James likes this.
  25. Congrats! You just bought a new one? I would have thought for sure that all 100 units would have sold out quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.