Has anyone here ever met Bernard Sumner of New Order and anyone a fan?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mooncrap, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooncrap

Mooncrap Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If so, whats he like?

Also, curious how many here are fans...and if any fun concert stories.

And opinions on the new album "Music Complete"?

2. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

Never met him. Probably a miserable sod, just like me.
    Love New Order.
    Music Complete is an excellent album, well worth a listen. Can’t believe that after all these years they’re still coming out with great music.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agree with all but miserable sod part. He seems happy these days.

Renz likes this.
  4. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

never met him. agree that Music Complete was a nice surprise, I prefer it to any full album since Republic (although I also finally gave Lost Sirens another full listen recently and didn't think that was nearly as bad as I did when it came out) .

RAZORMADE and Pancat like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I've never met any of them. Never seen them in concert.
    I love Lowlife and Power Corruption and Lies

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I met "The other three" at a J&MC gig.

7. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I like them, i have the cd's up to and including substance, kinda lost interest but they are not the only band i lost interest in, I've seen them live, Suagr-Cubes, New Order and P.I.L triple play at the meadowlands NJ

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Met Hooky and he was a twat. It didn't help that I met a very young Bjork at the same gig and she was absolutely delightful and gorgeous.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Not surprising. He certainly comes off that way in the Joy Division documentary, whereas Bernie seems a lot more sympathetic by comparison.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Going by Hooky's New Order biography Bernie's a twat. And Hooky's probably a twat too. What do you get with spoiled British rock stars on unimaginable amounts of liquor and cocaine? Twats.

11. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I met Bernard backstage after a New Order show in Brooklyn, not much of a story to it but he was nice.

12. Mooncrap

Music Complete has gotta be up there with Technique. I know that probably sounds like pushing it a bit..but it really is that good and feels like a continuation in some songs. Or more like what would've been a 4th Electronic (Bernard and Johnny Marr's side project from the 80s and 90s) album. Very pleased with it.

Hope they get another album out and not wait 10 more years again! Lol

Leugi, jamesc, DTK and 3 others like this.
  13. Mooncrap

Also, regarding Hookys book, I take a lot of it with a grain of salt.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Bernard has a book too, and he was more gracious toward Hook actually.

The truth is somewhere in between the two.

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

99's Twisted Tenderness was a very guitar orientated album. Sounds nothing like Music Complete. Maybe parts of 96's Raise The Pressure, but it also was probably heavily influenced by Karl Bartos.

Maurice likes this.
  16. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

This. We have to get past the assumed degree of assumed twatiness.

I have all three Hook books, essential reading, and I bet Bernard's is a must-read as well.
    The more documentation we get on JD/NO, the better.

NunoBento and c-eling like this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Hooky is a better writer.

Bernard is more even handed at times, but less inclined to admit his fails than Hooky.

So, you pays yr money etc

NunoBento, Beamish13 and DTK like this.
  18. Mooncrap

Yes. Raise the Pressure era.

Twisted Tenderness is my favorite of the 3 Electronic albums.

Music Complete just made me think of how a 4th would have been progression wise. Or parts of it.

Tutti Frutti lol

Or! Bernards Bad Lieutenant side project... ie Academic, Superheated-esque, etc.

D.B. and c-eling like this.
  19. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

'A better writer" - ?!!! You do know that these guys are ghost written?!!!

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Do you have any proof that Hooky's books are ghost-written?

NunoBento and Technocentral like this.
  21. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Concrete proof - like asking him myself? Nope.

Do I possess common sense? Yes. So, he just happens to be a superb bass player AND a great writer too??? Mmm... Oh, and ghost writers work prolifically with famous people.

Oh yeah... and I have a First Class Honours degree in English but it doesn't make me a great writer. Or any kind of one. And I doubt Hooky has one of those.

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I had a hunt around, didn't find any solid evidence either way. Found a reference to Andrew Holmes who is a gw, but it only says he helped him with the book, and you would expect anybody who wrote a book to have some assistance at some point. Have neither found Peter saying "I wrote that book without a ghost" or something like that.

DTK likes this.
  23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Never met any of them but Barney always comes across like an unremarkable middle-aged bloke from Salford in interviews. It was a bit disappointing, at first, when I wanted him to behave more like a popstar but it became quite reassuring in the end. Hooky, OTOH, comes across much cooler.

DTK, TheKevster and beccabear67 like this.
  24. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

I had dinner with Bernard and Peter Hook about sixteen years ago. I was incredibly poor and ordered a starter as a main. I got teased by someone for that - not Bernard, who was a bit worse for wear, but polite and generally welcoming. I think I spoke to him once but I don't remember what about. I saw him at another event (working in PR) and it was my job to make sure he had his drinks for the night - copious amounts of Cointreau.

hi_watt, willy, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Have you read Hook’s books? However they’re put together, they don’t read like the typical conventionally constructed, functional, bland “autobiographies” put together by ghostwriters for people who can’t actually write (like Bernard). I don’t know whether he actually sits at a computer or if they’re transcribed from hours of him talking or what, but they very much seem like his own thoughts spewed onto the page (at great length).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.