Has anyone here owned one or more Benz Ebony cartridges?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC Thread Starter

Has anyone here owned a Benz-Micro Ebony LP, LP-S, TR, H, M or L? How did you like the ones you owned, and were you able to own more than one, and compare? Did you use step-up transformers with a tube phono-stage, or a MC capable solid-state phono-stage?

2. Salectric

Salectric Forum Resident

I have used a Benz LP for going on 7 years now. It has been to SoundSmith for a "retip only" twice and I plan to continue sending it back every 3 years or so for the indefinite future. The LP has always satisfied me with a warm, detailed and dynamic sound. It tracks everything and it never sounds thin or harsh or edgy. Unfortunately I have never compared it directly to other cartridges except for my backup Denon 103R which I use when the Benz is at SoundSmith. That's an unfair comparison given the price difference but suffice it to say I am very happy each time I replace the Denon with the Benz.

Prior to the LP, I had two other Benz MCs---a Glider M2 followed by a Wood L2. The LP was, no surprise, leaps and bounds over its siblings. I used the L2 and LP exclusively in a Triplanar VII and almost exclusively into a 1:10 Jensen SUT. I did try a couple of high-gain solid state phono preamps (Emotive Audio Circa and Lehman) but they were no match for the sound quality of the SUT into my DIY tube phono preamp.

I realize this isn't the comparative experience you are looking for, but all I can say is I have been very pleased with the Benz LP over a long period of time. Of course Benz replaced the LP with the LP-S which many people say is an improvement. I haven't compared them so can't say anything about that. There are at least a few folks who have compared them and prefer the original LP, but they seem to be in the minority.

quicksilverbudie likes this.