Has anyone named a PET after a favourite musician/singer/album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

We named our cat Tricky, after the Trip-Hop artist (or the Run DMC song, take your pick).

My brother's cat was named Monk (after Thelonious). My other brother's cat is Dizzy (after Gillespie).

I wanted to name our cat Bird (after Charlie Parker). I thought that would be nice and confusing. ;)

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No, but a friend of my sister's once had a cat named Elvis. Meaner than a dozen snakes. Was seizure-prone, almost epileptic. The cat would only let its mistress handle her: anyone else, and that little lunatic would writhe and growl and scratch the hell out of anyone who went near it. I thought it might have been a cat bred from a mating between an alley cat and one of those small bobcats known to prowl these New England woods.

Lived for sixteen years, then did everyone a favor and died. I didn't attend the funeral. If ever a cat deserved a burlap sack and a toss into the nearest brook, that was the one. Only cat I ever met that didn't like me.

ED:cool:

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My last cat was named Frank. After a certain legendary rat pack type singer.

4. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

A friend of mine named his dog Evelyn, after Frank Zappa's "Evelyn, A Modified Dog". :)

5. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Don't have a giant poodle dog, but we do have cats, one of which we named Frunobulax. (Hint: know your Zappa)

6. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

As a kid, I had a dog named George, who was one of a litter of puppies named John, Paul, George & Ringo. They were all mutts, and all looked very different. Ringo, of course, had a big nose. George had a severe underbite, and looked like he was smiling all the time.

7. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

I call the spider on my porch Boris (from the Who song).

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Had a cat I named Layla.

9. A record rep for one of major labels here in Calgary, in the late 1980s named his cat, "Klaus Nomi". It was amusing for him, I guess. :rolleyes:

A little off topic, but in the 1999 film "Mumford", Alfre Woodard's character Lily had a dog. His name was "Danny Ainge ". :laugh: If you haven't seen this movie rent the DVD some time. Good story, great performaces by Woodard, Hope Davis :love: , Lorne Dean (should have made him a star), and Jason Lee as Skip Skipperton. :laugh:

10. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I had a cat named Zappa years ago.
    My nephews each have a dog, one named Pink and the other Floyd. I have two friends each having a dog from the same litter, one named Sonny and one Bono.

11. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Dog: Josie (Steely Dan song)

Cat #1: China (Tori Amos song)

Cat #2: Miles (for Miles Davis)

Our third cat is named Murray, and ... I can't recall why. :)

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

On the short-lived "The George Carlin Show," George named his dog Miles, after the then recently-departed Miles Davis.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard that actress Reese Witherspoon and actor Ryan Phillipe(sic?) have a bulldog named Frank Sinatra (not just Frank). Sort of related - Reese's daughter is named Ava.

Years ago, I remember sometimes seeing this guy who'd walk his Rottweiler named Roxanne, sort of after hours on the beach - IIRC he named her that because of the song.

14. We are all Klaus Nomi fans in my house, I think that's really GREAT! I am not kidding, either.

We used to have a blue grey cat named Tangle, as in "Tangled Up In Blue". This 'coincidence' made both my kids Dylan fans. Hey, whatever it takes.

15. That's cool. For what it's worth, "Tanngled Up In Blue" is one of favourite Bob tunes. My favourite from the 70s for sure. :thumbsup:

16. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

My wife had three cats when we got married. One was named Brandy after the song by Looking Glass. He was a fine boy. One of the other cats was already named Whiskey when my wife got her from her sister. It was kind of odd because for a stretch of several years we had the two cats (Whiskey and Brandy) even though neither of us drank alcohol.:cheers:

A few years later we adopted a neighborhood stray after determining he obviously was homeless. He had all white fur so the cuts he had from his fights really showed up. He also had one eye swollen shut (see picture). We named him Rocky.

Attached Files:

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's pretty much what we did when the current cat(whose name is really 'Cat'--my idea:) )turned up one morning on the sun deck, and kept hanging around. We knew someone(never found out who)had a litter of kittens, because months later there were half a dozen black cats lurking the area. This one was one of them. Since nobody ever placed an ad in the paper, or leaflets, and the local word didn't go out about a missing feline, we assumed it wasn't wanted, and my mother made the mistake of feeding it one morning. It's been here ever since, goes in and out as it pleases(if anyone's around or cares to let her in or out--no trapdoors in this pad), parades around the dogs with careful insolence, and--kitty myths be damned--will let almost anyone it likes play with it to her(and their)content.

Must say, though, she came young and full of pep(no longer so young, but still amazingly quick and agile!). Yours, Craig, looks like he met up with a bulldog--and lost. Is Rocky still around and, if so, does he look a little bit improved over that photo?

ED:cool:

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

We had a cat named Floyd too! Also a cat I named Randy after Randy of the Redwoods (Closet Classics) from MTV. He's still alive and kickin'. Must be at least 18 years old now!

19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

One of our cats is named Rhiannon.

20. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

No he's not around anymore. We adopted him around the time of Rocky II (late 70's) and he died a few years later. He did clean up real well and became very affectionate and appreciative of his new home.

The current line-up is three black cats: Kelsey (named after an L.A.Law character) who we've had 14 years, and Emme and Nicky (named after Nicholas Cage) who we adopted two years ago from a feral kitten rescue center. The two young ones are known collectively as "Chill Town" by myself, my wife and Kelsey. Viewers of "Big Brother" will get the reference.

The one cat who spent a lot of time (15 years) listening to music with me was Izzie. He got his name when he was a kitten when we noticed we kept asking "where is he?". Anyone who's had a kitten knows what that's like. Here's the picture I posted in the Jukebox Thread...

[​IMG]

21. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Named a cat Slam after the lead singer of a forgotten NoCal hardcore band from the early 1980s.

22. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have a cat named "Suzy Greenberg" She was ten years old when I adopted her from the humane society. Most cats that age don't get adopted since many folks like to adopt "kitties". When I went to check her out, I noticed her name was already "Suzy" so I added the "Greenberg" and named her after the early song by Phish. She is much smarter than the Suzy Greenberg in the Phish tune and she became best friends with my dog. I think she believes she is a dog since she only drinks water from the dog dish--(anyone else have this anomaly in their household?)

Attached Files:

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Does a famous Dinosaur/Dragon count? I had an Iguana named Spot...after The Munsters pet! No fire though...He loved Pizza! and as a rare treat Homemade Macaroni and Cheese.

24. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Sammy D. Needless to say he only has one eye.

[​IMG]

25. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

My cute little Boston Terrier is named Django.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.