Has redbook and higher downloads made it less critical to seek out expensive oop cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

I have been trying to go after some more rare cds which don't have brickwall or sharp tonal issues.

Many of the toted cd pressings are old original oop or japanese, german, mofi, etc
    Obviously many on Hoffman have descerned these sonic issues and shared their insightful comments.
    To add insult to injury many of these I "upgraded" to remasters

I recalll some of the early releases sounding muddy actually

Have new downloads - redbook quality or higher
    made seeking these old expensive and elusive cds down
    obsolete or have the download remasters
    held the same flaw as thier physical media cd counterparts?

What is your experence?

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I wouldn't download if my life depended on it:o:cheers:

3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I've used Qobuz to download a few long OOP cd singles or EPs where I just couldn't justify spending $80 for two tracks because it was a promo-only release or had a unique edit. Digitally, they are identical, so at least I have the content. That said, who knows, maybe one day it'll bother me enough to just buy the spendy disc. I haven't done that for any full-length albums though. I want the original disc where I *know* what I'm getting. With downloads, there are all kinds of things (watermarking, remastering, upscaling, etc) that can go wrong.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For now, I'm sticking with Redbook CDs, and most of them are OOP. It's still worth it to me to track them down.

bluemooze, richierichie, Dave and 4 others like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Not among us physical-philes. Unless a disc absolutely cannot be found I'll download, but that doesn't mean I won't keep looking for the CD.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Dave, psubliminal, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Often, currently available downloads, even hires ones, are different from the original early CDs. Maybe they are better, maybe just different or maybe worse sounding. It takes case by case research.

I personally still need the OOP CD most of the time. But you have to choose for yourself.

aphexj and c-eling like this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No. Different masters. And it depends on that, not the download-ablity or the resolution or lossless-ness of files.

Also, downloads have no re-sale value. They are worthless once you pay for them.

fra_pe, audiotom and mahanusafa02 like this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

My thoughts were that the new high rez in many cases would suffer from poor mastering, wanted to hear your experiences

Again case by case basis

And shelling out stupid inflated money is tough some times

My primary source is vinyl but I have been building up digital files from downloading and a few choice 24/192 files.
    Some of those high rez downloads associated with special box sets were quite disappointing.

I have a high rez portable player I hook up to an NAD 3020 in my office at work.

I love having physical media even if my house is expanding under the weight

9. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

It really depends on the release. For some titles, the latest hi res sounds the best. For others (too many), the hi res is brickwalled, so it's the old original CD's for those and I'll track down whatever US, Japan, German or UK pressings until I'm happy with one. I haven't downloaded any 44.1/16, I've stuck with CD's for those. I'm guessing those are usually sourced from a production CD so I haven't bothered.

mmars982, Dave and Gardo like this.
  10. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I rip all CD:s to hard drive anyway so don't mind downloading redbook stuff. Found some stuff on Qobuz that are extremely hard to find in physical form, such as Nucleus' In Flagrante Delicto and Betty Davis' Is it Love or Desire. Most downloaded redbook stuff is verified ok through accurip so must be CD rips.

11. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

The best Mastering could be in print, out of print, domestic, import, original, remaster or on any format. If you want the best sound you have to work for it!

Dave, gss, mr.datsun and 2 others like this.
  12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The point of seeking out the older Redbook (standard CD) releases is the masterings. In many cases these masterings are considered superior to the remastered versions (but certainly not always) especially those remasters that have suffered from over compression and pushed peaks in the "loudness" wars. From a technical standpoint beyond considerations of the masterings you may or may not be interested in there is no reason not to download based on your preferences. My preferences when I downloaded albums (which I no longer do) was at a minimum a download of 16/44.1. I would recommend and for myself I would never download lossy compressed files like mp3 or AAC to be part of your master library. As for higher resolution downloads in my opinion first, just like before, it is the mastering that is of importance, and then the technology advantage of 24 bit downloads or DSD.

If the mastering is not of primary interest to you then do what is best for your needs and interests.

Dave, Baroque and aphexj like this.
  13. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

It's a hobby to me. I like the hunt of tracking down rare and OOP CDs on my wishlist. I'm not going to go super crazy, or completely overboard paying insane amounts for the physical media. And I'm not going to quit my day job selling/buying full time.

However, if push comes to shove, and I have to have the track, CD or particular mastering, I am sure I can procure a copy at very minimal cost.

(Although there is one disc that I really want, and have not been able to track it down.)

davers and Baroque like this.
  14. mwheelerk

Two other notes on downloads. I had discovered if an album had not been released remastered before and was available as a 16/44.1 download that more than likely it is the same mastering as the original CD release. I have compared quite a few and always found this to the true. Secondly for 24/48-88.1-96-176.2-192 downloads of newly released albums that the download mastering is probably no better or worse than the original CD release.

audiotom and George P like this.
  15. mwheelerk

At one point I believe I may have had over 200 downloaded albums in my digital library with about 80%+ of those being higher resolution 24 bit downloads. Now I'm down to under 70 downloads with the majority being earlier 16/44.1 downloads and the rest being the 24 bit that seemed a toss up between those and the CD mastering. I must say though that my system has changed such and the way I listen now has made the 24bit less important and not really used but that is no to say that I don't believe some high resolution downloads are not exceptional because they are.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Downloads are for losers...my bits and bytes must be contained within a little round thing.

Rolltide and dalem5467 like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No downloads for me either. I do not own a computer or smartphone anyways.

dalem5467 likes this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I like both. Standard resolution rips and downloads are great. I'll buy hi-res downloads where they offer some notable upgrade from other versions, or else just CD and vinyl where they don't. Have also collected the occasional high-res digital disc formats, but they are comparatively rare and pricey.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I understand where you are coming from, but I do download certain titles and artists. Recently, I downloaded Uriah Heep in 24/96 resolution. I made a DVD from the file and play it on my universal player. The Uriah Heep mastering is great and these new downloads are much much better than anything digital out there including the old cds.

Now I have both the file and a little round thing. Really this is a no brainer.

audiotom, GerryO and AlanDistro like this.
  20. mwheelerk

No computer or smartphone? I guess that leaves a tablet for posting here?

Glen Leat, dalem5467 and Tullman like this.
  21. mwheelerk

I'm hoping that was sarcasm only

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Really, when I burn a DVD of a hi-res file and play it on my universal player, I am thinking, this is what all cds SHOULD be...hi-resolution pcm. I feel like I have finally arrived.

23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes. Kindle...

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If all I cared about was the music, then downloads would perhaps suffice. However, my relationship to music isn't as simple as that. There are so many reasons to track something down, to get the physical product, but the music itself may not be the sole reason. Buying music for me has always been a complex mix of music and form - that is the physical nature of the thing.

It may sound a little mad, but I can stand before my collection and scan the spines, and have all kinds of emotions of joy - all without playing a note of music. Memories of discovering the recordings, of the adventure of finding it, that moment in my life when it happened, and the weight of nostalgia each play brings to mind.

Of course, "tracking down" music has lost much of its fun. What used to long drives with the wife across the country, throughout Europe, across parts of the US - is now a google search and/or a search of the usual web sites. The sense of adventure has gone somewhat. Still, I persist in wanting physical product. Some things are packaged wonderfully, some not - but owning something is part of the commitment to the music for me. I'm increasingly sounding like an old f*rt who has no touch with reality. :D

psubliminal likes this.
  25. Yes.

Though those that want "Physical Media" will take the extra time & absorb the additional expense, if necessary, to capture properly mastered ceedees.
    Or, enjoy the hunt for a great deal on a supposed collectable title.

That's good for all!!
    Downloaders get the great mastering they desire now; w/a cost that appeals to them.
    While ceedee collectors don't have 'everyone' to compete w/.

Win/Win

Enjoy.

Quincy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.