Has TCM gone top 40?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mrwolk, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting! Thread Starter

I am noticing that certain classic films on TCM appear on a more regular basis....use to be weeks before a film was put in rotation...now it’s days.
    Is it just me that has been noticing the current trend?

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yep, this does happen and surprised me the first time I noticed.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Yes. I scroll ahead to the wee hours where the less frequent films appear, DVR and watch them in prime time.

MikaelaArsenault and jupiter8 like this.
  4. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I haven't noticed much fortunately.. After midnight, there are some far out movies, low-budget, foreign, etc etc.

MikaelaArsenault and jupiter8 like this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

They always have some they repeat a lot-but their monthly spotlights and TCM Underground still show a lot of unusual and hard to see films. The Watch TCM app is excellent if you have a Roku or Apple TV or Firestick.

6. MortSahlFan

Anyone else miss Robert Osborne?

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I still haven't gotten used to TCM Underground being moved from Saturday to Friday nights. Yeah, I know, we live in the age of perpetual time-shifting via DVR now, but I miss channel-surfing in the wee hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning and knowing that there would probably be something offbeat and worth watching more often than not when I landed on TCM.

8. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

What channel isn't throwing bones to the popular taste? Today on IFC you'll find Die Hard With A Vengeance or you could switch over to the Sundance Channel and see In The Line of Fire. Who can blame TCM for sticking the reliable crowdpleasers?

TCM at least still takes the curatorial approach - presenting the films with an introduction or bringing in special guests to talk about their favorites. Plus, the documentaries - which they don't make enough of, honestly - are terrific.

9. MortSahlFan

I just hope TCM doesn't play movies made after the 70s

Raunchnroll likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Ugh! That would ruin it for us.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

We have noticed that certain films seem to be in heavy rotation, and I wish they had a heavier foreign film presence. On the upside, Noir Alley has dug up some real gems, some of which might not even be thought of as noir until you put them in context. Eddie Muller does a great job on research and background, really giving these films their proper place in film history.
    And yeah, we miss Robert Osborne a lot.

GMfan87' likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....but, I've seen quite a few 'post-'70's' movies on TCM.

13. MortSahlFan

Me too, and I can't remember any good ones besides a few by Mike Leigh, and "La Promesse"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.