Has the vinyl revival jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Here is my take on the whole nostalgia aspect. When someone says that they personally like vinyl for nostalgic reasons I take them at their word. When someone says others like vinyl for nostalgic reasons I take it as speculation and in many cases painting others with an overly broad brush. I for one do not base my preferences in sound quality on nostalgia. It simply does not come into play. Nor do I enjoy the "ritual" (not sure what aspect of vinyl playback is "ritualistic") I prefer convenience. But I take quality over convenience every time.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nostalgia is not always part of the attraction. There audiophiles who came later to the scene, brought up on digital, who started exploring vinyl more recently. These audiophiles have not adopted LPs for reasons of nostalgia, but because they value the sonic values analogue brings.

Shiver and Billy Infinity like this.
  3. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Probably true.

My point is that nostalgia is probably often a part of the equation, though not always, especially among audiophiles. Also it's interesting that nostalgia is often seen as a problem rather than a gift.

4. Scott Wheeler

I don't see it as a problem. I see it as a separate aspect. As a record collector I can tell you that some of my rarest and most valued records sound like crap. I also have cheap easily found CDs that sound terrific. I can't speak for all audiophiles/vinyl enthusiasts but speaking for myself, I have no trouble separating my evaluations of sound quality from all the other aspects of vinyl.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Nostalgia is not part of my equation...it's all about what media sounds best.

Admittedly, sometimes it is CD, or SACD, or LP.

6. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Ok, but then how do you pick materials? Do you only buy unfamilar (to you) new or old works of music reproduced on media of excellent sound quality? I've never such a a pure audiophile, but I guess they must exist.

I was thinking of folks who buy multiple copies of preferred music (including new formatting of music from their teenage years, when music is so crucially intertwined in identity-formation, at least for many in the North American cultural context). The questions is why are they so attached to that recording in the first place, that they already have in other, arguably inferior, media formats? My guess is that's an emotional bond to the music, and part of that bond is nostalgic pleasure. No shame there. It's part of loving recorded music.

7. Scott Wheeler

For me, first and foremost, it's about the music. So I buy music I like. In some cases I will buy multiple versions of a favorite title just so I can decide for myself which version I like best. With many titles I can narrow the choices with the help of fellow audiophiles and forums like this one which has a strong emphasis on mastering.

For me that does not play into it. As a collector there are many factors that go into buying multiple copies of a given title. As an audiophile it is strictly about sound. With certain artists. as a completest collector the choices are obvious, if it exists I want it. But always, as an audiophile, my choice for best sound is not based in any nostalgia.

8. Erik Tracy

I don't get the constant effort to make a 'nostalgic' connection to a preference for vinyl?

If someone likes a musical release - what does 'nostalgia' have to do with wanting it on the best media possible?

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  9. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

No, I sell common records at $1. The problem with Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and more is that every ten year old with a record player knows who they are and mom and dad buy up all the available stock. Therefore, they are not common.

No kid wants to listen to country or classical so they sit in the dusty corner for $1.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. Scott Wheeler

You have classical LPs sitting around for $1.00?

11. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Every single classical LP is $1, and they don't sell well at all.

12. Scott Wheeler

I wish I could go to your store! dang!!!

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I listen to vinyl but I don't buy much of it these days because I have most of the classics anyway. The new stuff, I don't know, it's expensive. Remastering seems to go on forever like nobody knows what they are doing.

It's nice to see the albums out again but it really is quite an investment. CD, LP or tape, if it's done well I'm very happy.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Because, for the most part, we are talking about catalog reissues, or catalog titles found etc.

I think nostalgia is a good thing though. When I look at the dozens of records I still have, I feel a lot of nostalgia. Remembering buying many of them originally, first time playing them, what system I had at the time, having friends over to hear them. All kinda feelings.

Nostalgia is not bad.

One can have valid "Real Reasons" such as sound quality or mastering, AND at the same time feel nostalgia for an old record.

Feeling nostalgic, does not automatically mean something bad.

Example: Supertramp "Breakfast in America"

I love the sound of it, but also remember hearing it for the first time at Radio Shack, turned up really loud, and playing on those huge Mach One speakers. I remember, boosting the bass and having the store manager yell for me to quit messing with the equipment!

15. Erik Tracy

Believe me - my preference of vinyl over digital media for certain releases (not all) has nothing to do with nostalgia - as they are for copies I did not previously own.

As Dr. McCoy would say..."It(the nostalgia connection) is dead, Jim."

16. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

The vinyl revival has definitely jumped the shark, a while ago in my opinion. I view the vinyl revival the same way I looked at "alt rock" after I was walking through the local mega-mall and saw a Macy's display window filled with a "Grunge Fashion" display. :hurl:It's become a cliché, the mass media, general public and corporate America have embraced it. It's no longer a hobby exclusively for enthusiasts and people who are passionate about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see them hawking turntables on the shop-at-home networks as the "perfect holiday gift for all your loved ones".

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I don't understand equating vinyl's return to ubiquity with "jumping the shark." If I saw The Gambler in a store on CD, I wouldn't think twice about it because CD's are the dominant physical medium (for now, at least). If vinyl is popular enough again that record companies can press these common titles and make money off them, that's just an indication that vinyl too is becoming mainstream again. I highly doubt young people are buying The Gambler ironically, so I would assume it was reissued for people who sincerely want to listen to the music. Not my taste, but I'm sure those people are out there (my mom loves Kenny Rogers, so if she still had a turntable, she'd probably buy it). Vinyl as a music medium isn't exclusive to hobbyists/audiophiles, and just because its appeal has grown beyond our sad little world doesn't mean it's jumped the shark.

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Seriously, I have nothing against vinyl. But I don't feel like paying money for something that I have no clue what I'm getting for my money (warps, non-fill, off-sided pressings, etc.). It's not worth it to me. I'd much rather just have someone else do the work for me and needle drop the thing using THEIR money and (higher grade) equipment. I'll buy the digital copy because at least it's uniform.

19. Metralla

Where do you buy these digital transfers of LPs?

20. nbakid2000

Technically, you can't. That's why you buy the official digital versions.

21. Metralla

I hear you.

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Yeah, it's definitely a risk and I've had some duds. But when it sounds good then it was worth doing.

The problem with someone else doing it, outside of the legality concerns of course, is that those near-professional needledroppers will only do what they want to do, not necessarily what I want them to do. So, for me, it's much easier to just do it myself. My equipment isn't high-end but I find it to be good enough for my needs.

23. nbakid2000

True. Either way, we're being screwed by the labels. Shoddy product on both ends.

24. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Used vinyl is pretty cheap for me. Considering that I sold my albums for cheap back in my college days (like currency for eating), I'm able to buy these back in pretty decent condition for less than I sold them for.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Time to switch to cassettes:

nbakid2000, Aftermath and Robert Hood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.