Has your music taste changed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

USA ' bands. Old favourites The Beach Boys or The Velvet Underground have now been replaced with The Byrds.

UK ' bands. Previous favourites The Beatles or The Rolling Stones have now been replaced with The Kinks.

2. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

All the time, wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Cypressgreek, Wondering, ARK and 6 others like this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I wouldn't say my musical tastes have changed, but they have definitely grown.

4. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

A lot. If my three years ago self could see my shelf right now, with a shiny copy of a Justin Timberlake record, he would shot himself

5. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Gotta agree -- when I first came to this forum I would've said the three most important '60's US bands were the Velvets, the Stooges, and the MC5. Now I would make it four, and that includes The Byrds.

zphage and alexpop like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My music tastes have expanded. I still like what I used to like, but now I like even more types of music.

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Very much so. I listen to almost nothing that I played from the time I was a a kid through the time I was in my 20s.

Seederman likes this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The music changes. I do too, but more slowly :)

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Since yesterday? Most definitely.

10. It's changed a bit. I used to listen to a fair amount of metal, but now it's rare when I cue one up. Other than that I would say it has expanded through the decades. I'm even starting to enjoy some country, which I couldn't listen to before.

e.s. likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mine changed. Used to listen to a lot of rock. . . . About forty-three years ago the jazz and blues I had started listening to took over, and I became slowly almost listening to nothing else but jazz. Then Brazilian music and classical music entered into the mix. . . . Now it's a lot of jazz with a lot of other music mixed in.

Mychkine likes this.
  12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Mine have just diversified.

bluesky and starduster like this.
  13. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I used to only like Rock, now I like both kinds of music ... Rock AND Roll.

Robert C, wrighty47, ARK and 2 others like this.
  14. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I used to love grunge and heavy metal. But now I listen to '70s blues rock bands like allman bros, derek and the dominos, etc.

15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Yes

16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Changed? Grown? Diversified? All the same to me. It would appear my life's purpose is simply to discover as much music as I enjoy, that means searching out new thrills and growing my tastes!

Alan2, ARK, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Used to be all Rock, but now I'm into anything that sounds good, as long as it's not too loud. :magoo:

bleachershane and Umbari like this.
  18. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

It's been changing only for the past 40 years or so...got into jazz when I was about 19/20 and probably listened to equal amounts of jazz and rock for the next decade. Bought a CD player in 1990 and started listening to classical. Rock buying went right down although I was still listening to what I had already. In the past few years my jazz/improv buying has really increased (and I'm going to far more gigs than I ever used to), have got back into listening to 70s reggae, and started listening to classical again (mainly Handel opera/oratorio)

You can see what happened to 90s rock in what I've bought over the last 5-6 years.

60s.......17
    70s.......31
    80s.......28
    90s.........7
    00s......22
    10s......44

There you go - wasn't listening much to new rock music at the time, and I'm still not.

Alan2 likes this.
  19. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Looks like I'm not going to be the only one here to say that they've expanded.
    I can't really think of bands that I once liked that I don't any more. MIght be less open to some of the support bands that i once liked if I know more about sources. But I don't know, youthful exuberance and other elements of approach may still be things that I enjoy. The hope taht this band might just develop interestingly etc will probably stick with me.

I always had broad tastes and they remain about as broad, have probably deepened as my knowledge of various areas and what I like about what have deepened. I'm still looking for new music I'm into which is different to other people I've known.
    About time I sat down and learnt to play something though.

20. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I've certainly learned over the years that my tastes did expand to pretty much cover the whole musical spectrum ! This doesn't mean that I have bits & pieces of "everything", but I do have a lot of different stuff, & should I take a liking to a band or artist, as far as buying their stuff goes, it's usually always where possible followed up with their entire discography.

Anyhow, to answer the threads question, after 20+ years of happy expanding, I've found myself having gone full-circle, & I'm listening again to all of the bands from my youth, & have found a new appreciation for them !

If there's been any constants through that time, certainly RUSH, DEEP PURPLE, & especially LITTLE FEAT have always been played along side the "new" material.

Cheers,

Gregster

21. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Of course. Music tastes obviously change with age. But also due to the simple and basic desire to hear something new, after having fully enjoyed whatever it was that you liked til then.

ARK likes this.
  22. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

A little, but what I like has mostly stayed the same. Most of what I enjoy today is the same kind of rock music I enjoyed as a teenager in the early '90s, the kind that was called "alternative" then and is called "indie" now. I also listen to a lot of jazz and blues, which is something I hadn't done as a teenager, but that's not really due to any shift in my sensibilities. My teenaged/early-twenties self would have loved knowing that I'd eventually start to listen to jazz and blues as I got older.

I do think that I listen to music for different reasons than I did when I was in my teens and twenties. Back then, I listened to music for release. Often, that'd be something that was loud and exciting, something that could be overwhelming and briefly take me out of myself. I still look for that sometimes today. But I also listen to music to feel serene in a way that I didn't often in the past. I suppose that's just a different kind of release.

I also hope that my attitudes toward popular music outside of rock music have changed. I was an insistent rockist when I was a teenager, who believed that rock music was the best music. I could meet hip-hop halfway (maybe even three-quarters of the way), but was completely dismissive of pop. (Blues and jazz were totally A-OK, because blues was an antecedent to rock, jazz was music for adults, and both had a "serious" history.) I still listen to more rock music than I do anything else, but I try not to be so tied up in some sort of identity as a rock fan and I hope that I am more willing to sample and enjoy other kinds of music out there in the present.

23. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I don't think I've ever stopped liking anything in my entire life.

If I like something, I pretty much like it forever.

Starwanderer and starduster like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I listen to a majority of the same stuff I liked since I was a teen - garage, punk, Grateful Dead, 60s.
    I'm open to lots of things, but my core favorites haven't drastically changed.

25. Let me be the first pedant to point out that your taste in music hasn't changed, only your taste relating to fairly minor variations of that music and the favoured acts who play it. In terms of music overall, this is like a shift from orange to dark orange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.