Has your music taste changed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Definitely not. I've always enjoyed virtuosity. Genres are irrelevant.

c-eling likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

There were plenty of bands I said weren't for me, that I didn't like, or that I thought were outright bad. If you'd told me two years ago I would be buying anything by Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, or the Police, I would have laughed. Ah, but I was so much older then - I'm broke now. :sigh:

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Changed? More like grown.

Bowland and starduster like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Never been into The Four Seasons as much as now.

5. junk

junk Hellion

Same here. I have noticed I've been listening to more jazz lately than I used to.

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Somewhat. I'd say the biggest change was switching from Barry Manilow to punk.

7. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

Predictably. Though I still play in a Skronk group, I don't listen to Heavy Metal like I did as an adolescent. I do listen to loud Punk records and the ugliest Impulse! Jazz I can find.

Mainly, and more often than not, if it's got a color-tinted black-and-white photo on the cover, and it came out of an optometrist's living room in Hackensack, I'm buying it. I'll never wear Fonzie's jacket, I'm afraid.

8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Can't think of anything that I used to like that I don't know - but plenty that I DO like now that I'd previously not give houseroom to. Like... jazz.

I could say that I'm listening to less rock these days (especially fairly heavy stuff... for example, Iron Maiden... never was into anything heavier than them) but then, this might be because I try to listen to as much as I can that comes from a bigger variety of genres, than I ever did.

So I always say expanded. :)

9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

what he said>

sean

10. mds

mds Forum Resident

Grown. I am more open to more kinds of music now and lean Less towards hard rock than as a youngster. Need to be in the mood to play a lot of my old tastes but when that mood hits it brings a smile and a warm glow from within. For that reason I will not sell my older CDs that I hardly listen to now because I never know when the mood will hit.

11. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. My musical tastes have expanded, not changed.

ARK and 500Homeruns like this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes...much more classical.

John B Good likes this.
  13. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Ya - I used to like side three of Metal Machine Music best. Now I like side four best.

Scooter59 likes this.
  14. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Yep. Mostly listened to early 80's synth pop and new wave as a teenager. Then moved on to progressive rock in my early 20's. Later found both jazz and soul/funk via jazz fusion. Today (27 years old) my taste is pretty broad, but mostly I listen to jazz, soul, krautrock, avant prog and Zappa with a little 60's pop a la The Beach Boys thrown into the mix.

15. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

My tastes in music have definitely evolved, but not necessarily how I thought they would. Well into my 50s I find myself enjoying bands like Mastodon and Opeth, along with Wagner operas and Sondheim revivals. Fortunately my wife is right there with me on the ride.

16. Not changed as much as expanded.

ARK likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That sounds good. The truth is that many of my favorites - most of my favorites? - are the same acts I loved 30 years ago.

But there are plenty of acts who either didn't exist back then or who I didn't know about/care for back then that I've come to embrace.

At the core, I think my taste has stayed pretty much the same, though. As a kid, I most liked rock, and as an adult, I still most like rock.

Actually, I could argue I was more open-minded back then, as I was more willing to give stuff like jazz and classical a go. At the age of 48, though, I've come to accept that I probably won't ever really embrace them, so I don't try...

500Homeruns likes this.
  18. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I'm 57 and grew up on classic rock. Now you might find me listening to Sinatra, or Miles Davis, or Dave Brubeck, or Beethoven.
    Still enjoy the classic rock too!

c-eling likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The only time my tastes changed were while "growing up" - or rather entering puberty, becoming a teenager instead of a"kid".

Prior to that I was only into pop stuff, things like the Beatles, Elton John, stuff where the singer is the focus, no idea what a band or playing instruments was other than something to back up the vocals.

Then I got into playing guitar myself, got turned onto bands where playing/guitars was more or just as impt as the singing, lost my taste for the poppy stuff like the Beatles, really got off on hard rock/metal, and similar music where the guitar is key (eg: southern rock, blues rock) and have remained that way ever since. Can't listen to the stuff I first liked at all anymore but continue to listen to the bands I grew into back then as well as discovering many new bands that make music like that every year including today, but it all still the same formula (R O C K), with a few singer-songwriter exceptions (EG: Al Stewart, Jackson Browne) who I guess ARE rock though.

20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I used to be all concerned with "what the music represented" and all that crap and those oh-so important subcultures and such.

Now, it's just what hits my ears... and if it makes me feel something.

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yup - evolved.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I went heavier, and not just my body weight. :)

wrighty47, 500Homeruns and starduster like this.
  23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I don't know if it changes so much as grows. I may not listen to one artist or band for awhile but it doesn't mean I've stopped liking them.

500Homeruns and c-eling like this.
  24. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I don't know. For me morph is a good term along with expanded. I still prefer the Beach Boys and the Beatles as well as some of the more obscure 60's singles, but if you told me that I would like Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and Duke Ellington I would have given them a funny look. The big difference between then and now is then I was able to listen to radio to hear less frequently played artists. Now I have to read commentaries and look at charts to see what was popular, then roll the dice to see how it fits my likes. Fortunately I like what I hear more often than not.

25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

At 43 and much to the dismay of the Miss, no, I still crank A Split Second and Bob Mould

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.