Has your music taste changed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't think they've changed all that much on the whole. I still like the 1963-67 period best. But there are plenty of good songs up to the end of the '80s, and a bunch in the '90s too. I'm having trouble finding really great songs in the new millennium, although I could sure be looking harder.

There are quite a few songs for which my opinion is different now from what it was originally, and almost always it's that I like them more now.

I don't pay much attention to many styles (heavy metal, rap, for example), but the no. 1 rule is that if I like it, I like it. Someone posted a symphonic metal song the other day, that was pretty good. And I heard some Beastie Boys not that long ago that I kinda liked. So you never know. It may be a matter of having the time more than anything else.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO...I still love my favorites and I am open to new music that grabs me.

steveharris likes this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, my taste in music always changes--sometimes from day to day. And then it changes back.

4. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

Like many have said, my taste has evolved. I pretty much still like the music of my youth, which is rock,blues, R&B and jazz. As I've gotten older I've become more open to listening to things outside my "comfort zone and my taste has expanded.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Yeah. I have been "listening" from about the time I learned to walk. I am just about ready to retire.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Me too. Here is my favorite recording.

[​IMG]

7. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Certainly. In my youth I was primarily about classic rock, but as I've grown older I've gotten a higher appreciation for classical music, jazz and some vocalists like Sinatra as an example. So much excellent music outside of rock, and outside of the dreck that's released these days.

-Richard

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Absolutely! I'm 72 and have been buying/listening to records since around 1954/55. Since retiring 13 years ago I've gotten into bands I'd previously ignored/disliked such as Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Little Feat, Grateful Dead. I listen to and enjoy Led Zeppelin more now than I did in my 20's! I always seem to have to do things differently than most people! LOL

zebop likes this.
  9. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

That's cool. We have pretty similar tastes. I listen mostly to jazz fusion, prog rock, avant-prog, zeuhl, krautrock, canterbury scene, mpb and a little bit of baroque pop and folk from the 60s.

D.H. likes this.
  10. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Great! :) I saw Magma live not long ago.

Here's my latest find:

acemachine26 likes this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

It's expanded, a lot. I listened to a lot of metal when I was a teenager in the 80s, Sabbath are the only heavy band I still regularly listen to these days. If you told me I would have Kate Bush in my top 5 favourite artists back then I wouldn't have believed it.

12. acemachine26

Oh really? Thats awesome. Christian Vander is a monster! Definitely one of my favourite drummers of all time. Yes I've listened to that James Blood Ulmer record, its great. You should check out his other albums like Tales of Captain Black and Free Lancing.

13. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

August was dominated by John Martyn, Roy Harper, and Anne Briggs. September was MF Doom. October went to Gene Clark, and November is a Dan kick. Genre disparities aplenty!

14. acemachine26

If you want to get into jazz, then jazz fusion and jazz rock might be up your alley since they do have elements of rock mixed with jazz. Here are some recommendations of great jazz fusion/jazz rock albums that I think you might enjoy:

Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
    Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears / Child is Father to the Man
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame / Birds of Fire
    Nucleus - Solar Plexus / Elastic Rock / We'll Talk About It Later
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew / In a Silent Way / Live-Evil, Tribute to Jack Johnson / On the Corner / Agartha
    Soft Machine - Third
    Placebo - 1973 / Placebo / Ball of Eyes
    Mwandishi (Herbie Hancock band) - Crossings / Sextant / Mwandishi
    Embryo - Steig Aus / Rocksession / We Keep On
    Julian Priester - Love, Love
    Eddie Henderson - Realization / Inside Out
    Eero Koivistoinen Music Society - Wahoo!
    Arti & Mestieri - Tilt / Giro di Valzer per Domani
    Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour / Moroccan Roll / Livestock / Masques
    Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency! / Turn It Over
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean / Cosmic Messenger / King Kong
    Frank Zappa - Grand Wazoo / Hot Rats

15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

One more 'not changed, but expanded'. :) I still like pretty much everything I liked in the past, and I find more and more different things to like constantly. I probably have more of an appreciation for different types of music today than I ever did, and I think I'm a lot more open-minded than I ever was. There's brilliant stuff to be found anywhere you choose to look, and I think I've learned to truly appreciate and value that.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I listen to more of everything now. The older I've get the more I like music even more, it's crazy.

Thom likes this.
  17. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Worth adding Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior and No Mystery, I think also.

acemachine26 likes this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I guess in a way it has. I went from being young and having little interest in music to being a major Beach Boys fan in the early sixties and starting to listen to pop AM radio. Then on the night of my 14th birthday in 1965 I heard Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" for the first time and a major damn busted loose in my head. Then along came my first Hendrix experience (haha) in '67 and another major jump up and then finally broke through to major jazz appreciation in '72. From there it's been more of everything.

19. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Developing a taste for jazz was the single most significant thing to ever happen to me musically - both as the player of an instrument and as a listener.

acemachine26 and Zach Johnson like this.
  20. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Moved away from some of the hard rock/heavy metal I loved in high school and have gone more towards jazz in recent years.

21. acemachine26

Same here, jazz was always a genre that I liked but only occasionally listened to as opposed to now where I've become obsessed with it. Btw which instrument do you play?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Yeah ' with jazz /acoustic instruments they don't suck like they used to, more blow sweet sounding.

23. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

They've changed insofar as they are broader than ever. I listen to a wider variety of music than say 30 years ago, and my collection is much greater.

24. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

My tastes have both broadened and narrowed. I have a lot less patience for the poorly recorded than I used to, and significantly more appreciation for pop craftsmanship. I also find it easier to get past superficial stylistic differences--it's a lot easier for me to appreciate, for example, 50's rock'n'roll.

Mainly, though, now that I'm no longer 20, I don't have to be a member of a specific tribe with specific, highly enforced boundaries: it's very liberating.

25. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Of course!

What kind of life would it be, to never change?
    As I get older, I would imagine it will change more.
    If it does not change, I would think something was wrong with me..!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.