Have Any Pono Backers Received The Email Their Player Has Shipped?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Was the software made by JRiver?

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

JRiver and PonoMusic World will let you drag and drop files or albums to the player. Just like iTunes. Dragging files or albums to the player would be the quick and dirty way to sync. Making use of playlists and smartlists would take a little bit of up front work, but will be more powerful allowing more options in how you manage what gets synced. Smartlists are even more powerful being able to sync based on rules you define. Like being able to sync all albums with a 4 star or 5 star rating, or all albums imported last month that haven't been played yet, etc.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I wasn't commenting on the DAC's size. It's the well regarded ESS Sabre 9018, with a custom filter designed by Charles Hansen.

4. Ham Sandwich

Yes. The software is a stripped down version of JRiver Media Center along with some special features just for Pono added. They've got both Mac and Windows versions of PonoMusic World.

I haven't been able to play with the software yet. They send out a link to download the software once your player ships. And mine hasn't shipped yet. I'm very curious to find out what features PonoMusic World has compared to JRiver Media Center.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thank you

6. So, it's the price stopping you from an A&K or a Chord Hugo,otherwise you'd skip the unproven and go for the 10k audio sound in a 2.5k body?

Just curious because you seem pretty knowledgable.

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I don't remember seeing a link, but the download on this page unlocks when you log in. I guess they only unlock it when the player ships?

https://ponomusic.force.com/

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Depends on the model I think. Not all iPods have the same DAC and some models with those by Wolfson are well sought and highly rated.

9. Brother_Rael

Optional Dylan finish available Spring '15. :D

10. Ham Sandwich

The download link doesn't show up till you get your shipping notice. I'm in the late December shipping batch. I've got to wait a month.

11. Ham Sandwich

Yeah, the price is keeping me away from those toys. I'm trying to keep my portable player in the under $500 category.
    I'm not trying to get a portable rig that rivals a desktop headphone rig. All I want from a portable is good enough sound to keep me satisfied while listening to it.

12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Who knows, maybe, just maybe the Pono sounds great through head phones as well as when hooked up to a serious hifi system. Perhaps it turns out to perform very well for the money.

13. Brother_Rael

Maybe so, but can you eat a Pono?!

I rest my case!

pablorkcz likes this.
  14. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

So from the Pono site, do I understand that the only color offered to new customers is that "safety" yellow?

15. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

So many off topic posts on here. Some of you need a coke, a smile and some STFU.

Humbuster likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well this thread would be pretty boring with a ton of "No's" and a few "Yes's" :D

17. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Well never know, because you can't hook up the Pono to anything with a digital streaming signal input or output. It's a self contained device. You can only transfer data via usb, not stream.

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

And why would you want to hook it up to a serious Hifi system anyway?

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You can do a line out, even in balanced mode, if you want. Sure, it's an analog current and not a digital data stream, but you can let it be both your digital source and your DAC in a home system if you want. It's not sufficient to say, "We'll never know how it performs in a home system because it doesn't do digital out." Sure, it doesn't do digital out, but you can connect it to a home system.

wolfram and Nielsoe like this.
  20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So, you order a Pono player for four hundred bucks, get your card charged now, "expected" shipping date between Jan and March. This thing is nothing but vapor right now. Sorry, but this thing has had way too much press and hype.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

And thus you can't hook it up to a hifi system? I'm referring to the analog output through the mini jacks. There's one analog output for head phones and one fixed output (bypassing the volume control) for connecting to a hifi amp. So the Pono's abilities as a stand alone DAC (by way of usb, yes) can and will eventually be judged.

22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Sorry, I'm lazy and didn't read your post before posting my own virtually identical post :)

23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Why not? What if it offers great sound? I'm not buying one (or any other digital device, I'm very happy with my turntable), but the Pono could sound fantastic.

24. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

It is reported that Rick Cohen is no longer listed as Chief Operating Officer on the Pono website. This is the 2nd COO departure in less than four months. Can't auger well.

25. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

Link or it didn´t happen...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.