Have Any Pono Backers Received The Email Their Player Has Shipped?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

No one will buy it? Remains to be seen. Can you see the future? They set records on kickstarter, so I suspect there is at least a niche market. It takes a 'dork squad' to drag an drop files? So now it's name calling to the audience that started this very thread and in which this thread is supposed to be about (once again, this is supposed to be about impressions of users who have received Pono players. There are lots of other threads about other topics that perhaps some on this thread can make a positive contribution to.

Jeez, Neil Young is doing what he can to carry the banner for higher quality audio. It seems as if he stole some posters girlfriends or pissed in people's coffee or something.

If you're not interested in the player, move on.

Shiver, pablorkcz, JeffMo and 5 others like this.
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As long as no one comes and takes away my turntable, I couldn't care less about how other people interact with higher quality music. Furthermore, as I said above, in my car or workplace, the supposedly crappy sound quality of my iPhone is more than adequate enough for me. If other people feel the need to haul around a Toblerone bar without gapless playback to listen to 24/192 files of the Basement Tapes at work, more power to them.

elvissinatra likes this.
  3. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I've been around start-up companies and know it's not easy. Do things go perfect all the time in life? Are humans perfect? Do you hold everyone to these standards?

4. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Fair enough. That's who this thread is for. Vinyl is not for me but I don't discount it and don't post on threads specifically about vinyl.

Tuco, scobb, SwintonRed and 1 other person like this.
  5. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

People on this forum spend 400 dollars on cables....not sure why so much negativity towards a similarly priced product that can improve sound quality on a portable system. Yes it does require more effort in transferring files than an iPhone but using a turntable also requires a bit more work than a CD player. Not a deal breaker.

6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Seems the "it'll suck, if it ever comes out" crowd has more invested in this emotionally, than the folks who actually bought the thing, who seem to be enjoying it.
    Kind of makes you wonder how they conduct themselves in real life. I betcha they filter it a lot more than they do on these Forums.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Um, when you're touting your product as massively technically superior to the competition, aren't you basing your entire existence around higher standards? And yet the thing doesn't do gapless playback, so I can't listen to my 24/192 Pink Floyd album without gaps between each part of their prog-rock suite? Hilarious that people here will blow their top if there's a microscopic scratch on a new LP or a ding on their Amazon shipping container, yet make endless apologies for this piece of vaporware.

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

You say this "I couldn't care less about how other people interact with higher quality music."

Why are you on this thread then?

ls35a, JeffMo, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Because I find the entire Pono concept amusing.

10. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Pretty much the definition of a troll/threadcrap. Not respectful to other members, IMO.

ls35a, pablorkcz, JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Congratulations on your new Gort status.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think that having a device that plays hi-res files but does not feature gapless playback is absurd. I can't believe the people from Pono overlooked this, seriously.

13. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Did you see the part where I said IMO?

14. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Is this confirmed to be the case? Perhaps it's a bug that's being/been corrected? Do you know?

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I hope it's a bug! The problem is that we're talking about a basic feature. Buyers simply take as granted something like that nowadays. I didn't buy the Ponoplayer, but I'm thinking about those who did and, like someone mentioned before, wanted to listen to Dark Side of the Moon, or We're Only In It For The Money, of some of the tons of records in which songs segue into another.

16. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Agree that gapless playback should be possible. It was mentioned in this thread that Pono stated gapless playback would be a feature.

If there are actually issues with it, I hope they are addressing/have addressed them.

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm sure they will, I think it's Jriver's software that this thing is using correct?

18. Abbey Road White Album pretty much most classical music

19. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

So many losers speculating on a product that they haven't physically touched,held or heard. The specs don't mean jack , just hear the thing for yourself before deciding it's successful or not. I was once skeptical about Blu Ray but it became a success.

Tuco and Zephead2112 like this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought a HD-DVD player :)

c-eling likes this.
  21. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

That is my understanding.

c-eling likes this.
  22. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I read that, at present, gapless playback is configurable within the Pono Music World app prior to loading the album. But I'm also a dork so what do I know? ;)

23. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I have all my ALAC files tagged for gapless playback already. I suspect I may have to do nothing more.

24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Do you think there'll be a customs charge?

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'll pass that on to my mom: i.e., that all she has to do is tag her Pink Floyd flac files for gapless playback before she drags them to her SAN card so that she can listen to Dark Side in the car on her Pono player. This should be no problem for her and other ordinary consumers.

Murph, Carserguev and Synthfreek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.