Have arm, want turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tiller, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I like the Orbe, you can't go wrong with it. I also would like to try one of these in the near future.
    Sturgus
    avid hifi ltd :: diva II SP

2. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I love love love my Audiomods on my Gyro SE. Recoomended.

3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Personally, just from reading this (below) I would definitely want to hear from owners of the Acoustic Signature WOW XXL (or those with real knowledge of it) before making my decision.

Acoustic Signature – WOW XXL

4. tiller

tiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions folks.

@56GoldTop, I am definitely surprised that nobody's chimed in on the AS table. I am attracted to it for a number of reasons, but mainly because (at least according to their press material) they seem to have put a lot of attention into the bearing and motor designs which is what I feel could be improved on my Rega setup. I also feel a little more at home with a non-suspended table like the AS. However, I have no experience with suspended decks so I have no reason not to include them in the hunt.

The Michell dealer here is also an Avid dealer. I'll keep that in mind. Although based purely on appearances it seems the Michell is in a different league in terms of construction quality.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Since you already have an arm you like, and you want to improve pitch stability, I think you might like a Garrard 301 or 401, or a Thorens TD24. A high end idler wheel design is about as different from a Rega as it gets. And I mean that in a good way.

RONENRAY and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. tiller

I was reading up on the idler stuff today actually since a previous poster mentioned the 401 in the classifieds. I have no experience with one to be honest. However, from what I gather they tend to have a higher noisefloor compared to a belt-drive. The noise floor is something I was hoping to improve in the upgrade. I was also reading they tend to be a little darker sounding (depending on things like plinth, etc). I definitely want to retain as much high end extension as possible. Of course this is all stuff I've read-- not experienced. There's also the issue of space. I'm not sure how I could possibly accommodate a deck of that size. I'd definitely like to hear one one day though, and I appreciate your advice!

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You heard right. I couldn't live with one of those old beasts. You're on the right track with Michell and Oracle.
    -Bill

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

My 401 is quieter than my Rega P3. So I don't think there is any truth to that. I think that misinformation is still circulating based on those old cheap plinths that were used in the 50s and 60s. A decent plinth and there is no noise issue. And I don't think it is dark sounding. But it is much more solid-sounding. Not a light-weight sound like Rega. Much more PRAT than Rega actually, even though Rega's have a reputation for that. I think it is having a stable and accurate speed that makes the idlers so much more enjoyable from a rhythmic standpoint. Anyways, I have never heard a bad thing about Michell either. If I was forced to use a belt-drive table, I would certainly check out a Michell. Although I doubt I would like it better than Well Tempered Labs. For a belt-drive, that is where I would be focusing my attention.

9. tiller

Thanks for your opinion. I would definitely like to hear a top-notch 401 rig one day, and certainly the one in the Classifieds is tempting. There's still the issue of space though. Sadly there's no easy solution for that one.

I was very interested in the Well Tempered stuff at one point. I'm sure they sound great and they do seem to have very dedicated fans/users. I personally cannot justify their prices for what you get. A Versalex is about $6000 up here (Canada) and you get a cheap plinth, cheap feet, cheap platter, cheap connectors. Sure, interesting bearing and very cool arm. But $6k? Can't do it. And besides, it's an entirely moot point since I already have a tonearm and will be holding on to it.

I'm going to try and audition an Orbe. I think I could make one happen if I'm lucky.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. tiller

hey @chili555, could you possible measure the diagonal distance from the front right foot to the back of the motor for me on your deck? Trying to tell if an Orbe/Gyro would fit where my Rega currently is, on my existing platform. Much appreciated.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I assume that you mean the way I measured it in this photo; the measurement is ~18 1/2". If you need other measurements or details, I am very happy to provide them.

[​IMG]

Strat-Mangler and Gavinyl like this.
  12. tiller

Thanks a million! That is indeed the measurement I was curious about. Much appreciated, sir. Nice looking rig you have there too.

13. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Thanks for your kind words. Have you settled on the Orbe or the Gyro SE or something else?

14. tiller

Not settled on anything yet to be honest, but I have a line on an Orbe SE. Waiting to get a little bonus news from work and might pull the trigger. Going to give it a listen at the very least. Been pouring over specs and anecdotal reports, and I feel pretty confident that it would be a significant upgrade to my P3-24 especially in the noise and pitch departments. I'll be sure to update the forum if/when I proceed!

chili555 and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. tiller

Here's another question for you guys.

Some things have changed a little and I'm unsure I will be able to upgrade my cart to an XX-2 like I had originally planned. It looks like I could maybe do one or the other: the cart upgrade or the TT upgrade.

What would you do? Get the XX-2 and stay with the upgraded P3-24, or stick with a 20x2 and get an Orbe?

Woe is me ;)

16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The latter. The 20x2 is a very nice cartridge. I would rather have that on an Orbe than any cartridge on a P3-24.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Get the Orbe, a better cartridge will be held back on the Rega whilst the Orbe will allow you to hear the full potential of your current cart, if you get the cart upgrade you'll just be wondering what you are missing, get the Orbe and you'll be marveling at how much more capable your current cart is, at least that's how it should work, your phono stage will also come into play.

18. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Or get a new SME table and arm, and sell to me your Audiomod arm. Simplify and go!

19. tiller

Thanks for the input gents. That makes sense. Makes my life a little easier as well since I can hold off on the hunt for an appropriate step-up option for my preamp, which is proving difficult.

Hahah sorry friend but the arm stays with me :)

20. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Keep the 20x and get the better turntable.

chili555 likes this.
  21. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Well you can't fault me for trying! Their top arm (Series 5?) is on my shortlist of stuff to gather. Guessing will be the final arm I will need. If you ever get down and out, remember you got a friend down South who can help ya in a pinch!

Nihil Sleighride and tiller like this.
  22. tiller

The move from RB301 to Audiomods Series 5 was definitely a big improvement for me. The biggest thing I noticed was more dynamic range (i.e., less compressed sounding on big passages) and, more importantly for me, less distortion in the 2-4k range, which I attribute to better bearings. The Audiomods is definitely far "cleaner" sounding in that area. Recommended for sure!

23. tiller

Welp, I'm getting much closer to a new turntable. And, as usual, as I am about to pull the trigger on one I begin to start second guessing myself and wonder if I'm making the right choice. This is a massive chunk of change for me so I am proceeding with trepidation.

Another inquiry: has anyone had some experience with both a Michell Orbe and one of the PTP Solid9 Lenco rebuilds? I'd be curious as to how they compare in the real world (i.e., beyond typical generalizations of belt/suspension vs idler).

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is it me or does it look in that pic like a dumbbell viewed from the side? Maybe it's my brain telling me to hit the gym. Haha!

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Naturally I'd recommend the Orbe, I do have experience with standard GL 75s, (I still have one in the loft as a parts donor for my G-99), I've also heard some modded Lencos, but not the PTP, my problem is I remember when mint boxed 75s were £30 and I still see clean ones for sub £100, a nice plinth from slate is £150 at my local fireplace shop, a nice stone one maybe £250 or £300, I'm not sure how much Corian costs, but figure £100 will get enough for several decks and it isn't too difficult to machine so max £200, a full professional service on a GL-75, £250 tops, they are pretty straightforward decks, easier to work on than Garrards, so €2550 does seem rather expensive to me for what you get. If you can hear the PTP and it's for you that's one thing, but otherwise you are spending a lot of money in the belief that it will sound great and for me the intrinsic value isn't there whereas the Orbe absolutely sounds fantastic and you can actually see where your money has gone on solid precision engineering and the NC power supply, it also commands a good secondhand value if ever the need arises. Having said all that someone did post a nice PTP photo in the turntable thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.