Have arm, want turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tiller, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiller

tiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Therein lies the major issue when buying a turntable at these levels and beyond: the possibilities for a proper audition are slim to none. There's no way I could audition a PTP prior to purchasing.

The Orbe at least is local and I can check it out prior to buying. I did have a look at it actually and it is a beautiful machine, I was very impressed with the fit and finish. It's the polar opposite of a mid-level Rega. I haven't bothered requesting an audition since it is still a bit of a moot point considering the completely different systems (home vs store) and the dealer wasn't keen on letting me have it for a home demo since I have absolutely no rapport with this particular shop, which is understandable.

Honestly I don't think anything at this price is going to sound "bad" -- it's just really hard to pull the trigger, haha! Could be worse :)

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To help make your choice perhaps ask the OP in this recent thread how he's finding his newly acquired Orbe: New Turntable Suggestions :righton:

3. tiller

Ah yes, I came across this one recently. He's lucky he got the SME V with his! Beauty table

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, I agree, but then you already have a nice arm.:)

tiller likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I've heard the Sota, the Rega, and the Michell Gyro SE, I like the Michell the best of the three. Sounded much more musical and integrated, the speed was much more stable to my ear. I think it's the best thing out there for that price class.

Cyclone Ranger and tiller like this.
  6. tiller

Thanks for your report, it's much appreciated. I'm very heavily leaning toward a Michell.

There was some reports in another thread about the motor moving (physically) with use. @Dubmart have you had any experience with that? In the thread you linked there was a fellow talking about how he'd always have to move the motor so it wasn't rubbing the subchassis, as if the belt was moving it. Perhaps his setup wasn't level or something...

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not something that I've ever encountered with either my Gyro SE or full Orbe, I suppose it might be possible with the Gyro SE as the motor housing kind of has more play with no perspex, but as you imply if the surface is level then it shouldn't move at all, mine doesn't, if mine started doing that I'd be straight on the phone to Michell, perhaps he's using the wrong belt. My Gyro is from '99 I had the original AC motor swapped out for the DC, but it's the same housing and I believe the same as the current version, I'm trying to picture the earlier Gyrodeks I've seen and used, their housing may be slightly different, but there again I've not heard of any problems so it sounds like user error to me.:confused:

tiller likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and bear in mind J.A. Michell customer service is very excellent, and responsive to inquiries and helpful.

chili555 likes this.
  9. tiller

A point that ought not be overlooked, in my experience.

10. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Did you build your own Audiomods?

11. tiller

Hey! No, I did not. I bought it complete from Jeff. Cheers.

12. tiller

Well, the day has arrived. I have arm, and now I have turntable! Thanks to those of you who helped guide me in the decision. Kinda blew the budget here, but, you only live once right!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only just got it set up last night so I've not had too much of an opportunity to test it out. Will remedy that today! However, I can unequivocally say that the build quality on this thing makes my old Rega look and feel like a toy. Really, really appreciate the craftsmanship.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe you've made a great choice that will bring you many years of listening pleasure, enjoy!:edthumbs:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  14. tiller

I hope you're right considering the cost of entry, haha!! Very pleased with how the shiny Audiomods arm matches up with the Orbe.

So far I can say that the things I wanted to improve with the Rega have been improved. That is, pitch stability and noise floor. Both have been improved without a doubt.

I decided to go for the Hana SH cart inside of replacing my 20x with a 20x2. Currently getting broken in. Sound great so far though.

15. slazechko

slazechko Forum Resident

Hey, that looks just like mine! :)

It's a beautiful table, and from my limited experience thus far, Id have to agree with Dubmart: we're both in for years of listening pleasure.

I'm also eyeing the Hana for a cartridge upgrade, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts once it's been broken in.

Enjoy!

tiller likes this.
  16. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Now that is a NICE looking combo. Looking forward to more detailed reviews of the sound once you get it dialed in.

17. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

@tiller Did your Audiomods arm fit on the standard Rega board?

18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Congrats. And definitely would like to hear a detailed report of how that Orbe/Audiomods/Hana combo sounds.

Could see myself doing the same combo soon, 'cept with a Gyro SE.

Sugar Man likes this.
  19. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

So beautiful! I suspect it sounds awesome! Enjoy!!

20. tiller

Thanks for the kind words folks. I will report back once I've had some more serious listening time. I was without my old turntable for a few weeks prior to getting this new one, so a direct comparison is a bit difficult to do. Since I also replaced the cartridge it is also difficult to say with certainty which improvements can be attributed to the cart vs the table. I can say overall however, not in comparison to my last setup, that this deck sounds really killer. Absolutely loving it so far.

Hey, yes the Audiomods arm fit on the standard Rega board without issues. I confirmed with Jeff at Audiomods that the weight of the Series 5 Micrometer would be compatible with the standard Rega board. I don't seem to be experiencing any issues with it, although this is my first and only Michell deck so I cannot say if my setup is perfect or not. Seems good to me though. Bouncing near piston-like (as much as I care), no issues in leveling, etc.

Before I brought the Orbe home I was kicking myself that I didn't go for one of the matte finished Audiomods since most of the Orbe was also matte silver -- I thought the polished arm would stick out a bit. Much to my delight the feet and spring covers and armboard and motor pod are all shiny so it the arm matches very nicely. Couldn't be happier with the aesthetic.

I'll report back in a couple days after I've put some more hours on the cart.

Dubmart likes this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Sweet Mother of God! That's a nice rig. What are you using as a dust cover? I'd also investigate a better platform for the turntable. It looks great, but also like it might be a little prone to resonance. That is pretty darn thick plywood though! I can't imagine you regretting buying a nice turntable, that seems like a silly thought looking at the rest of the system and Lp collection. If and when you can, it'd be completely stunning all over again with a DV XX2 installed on it!
    -Bill

22. tiller

Thanks Bill, I'm quite pleased with it I have to say. Definitely the highest point my setup has been. Would love to have splurged on the XX-2 but just couldn't find the budget unfortunately. The Hana has been performing really well so far. I imagine in a couple years when i t comes time for a new cart I will try and reach for the XX-2. Agreed on the stand as well. It was just something I knocked out real quick for reasons of space saving, as, well, I've run out of it as you can see. We have a pretty small place here so I have to make do with what I have. Ultimately I would like to dedicate the Ikea shelf entirely to LP storage duty and get a proper hifi rack/stand. But we just don't have the room for it at the moment. Thankfully the Orbe seems to isolate itself exceptionally well. I can pound on that little stand and not a peep comes through the speakers. No dust cover yet unfortunately. I'm thinking I might get one of the Michell Unicovers, or try and commission a local acrylics place to do a dust cover for me. The setup lives behind closed doors so its fine for the time being. Definitely at the top of the priority list though.

Overall the sound of this new setup seems to be exceptional. I'm not 100% sure what the cart is contributing versus the deck itself, but it seems that the overall tonal balance is much more even and well controlled. Bass lines especially have evened out and sound much tighter. Much fewer resonances in not only the low end but the midrange/upper midrange as well. Electric guitars, sibilants, cymbals all seem cleaner but without loss of detail. The high end is a bit brittle at the moment but I imagine that will smooth out when the cart breaks in, and it's not even remotely objectionable as it is right now-- I am nitpicking. Noise floor seems lower which is great, and pitch stability is greatly improved. I'm not entirely sure but I feel like the soundstage has increased in width and depth as well, and is certainly more solid (i.e., instruments are very well placed in well mixed music). This could just be honeymoon phase though. I am also surprised to think how well my old Rega held its own. Sure, this new deck is a clear improvement, but the old P3-24 (with the audiomods arm and groovetracer upgrades) was certainly no slouch.

All in all a fun listening/learning experience thus far!

Cyclone Ranger and IanL like this.
  23. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

That's a beauty of turntable. You made a great choice. Enjoy!

tiller likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a Unicover on my Gyro SE, it protects the platter and arm, but depending on your environment dust builds up on the chassis and spider, unless you have really low dust levels,, love regular cleaning or are a slob:D save the money and put it towards an off the shelf or commissioned acrylic cover that sits over the whole thing, it's been more than a decade, but one day that's the route I'll take and save myself all that cleaning.

25. tiller

Sadly now that I have the thing in place I'm not sure how I'd fit a full dust cover unfortunately. On the upside I do dust the place top to bottom once a week, so build up is not an issue :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.