Have some fun, spend 10 grand for me...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am about to setup a new 2 channel system, intending to keep my Martin Logan SL3's as the speakers, my Clearaudio Solution TT.

What would YOU buy?

I really like the old Conrad Johnson Premier 8A amps and CJ Premier 16 pre, but that takes me over the WAF and has no phono stage....

My listening runs the gamut, jazz, blues, some classical, rock and love acoustic guitar music.

I like warmth, midrange, no tinny trebles, and this will be going in a bright sounding room with no chance to put in any room treatments.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated..

2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

My happiest upgrade was a tube integrated amp... but what I would recommend for you is a separate phono stage, I like/have the Acoustech PH-1P.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agree. Get yourself a nice phono stage down pat.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Personally I like the Audible Illusions latest preamp with the Gold phono stage. I had it .and then foolishly traded it in on a AR LS-25 MII/PH3se combo. It is a glorious sound preamp. In conjuction with a AR VT-100 MK III. It a combo that's hard to beat. You should be able to pick up both new for around $8500

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's on my short term list too.

Tell me more about how much you like it. Convince me to buy one. :)

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

You know, I got my degree in criticism, so I'm quicker at pointing out the negatives.
    It's too wide to fit in my stereo cabinet and I can't turn it off. But I realize the no power switch is suppose to be a good thing.

I can hear an improvement in sound over the phono stage in my old NAD integrated amp. It's not huge, like an upgrade in speakers or amp, just better definition, separation and sense of space. Just a little deeper smoother sound.
    Overall, I listen to a lot more vinyl now with less fatigue. It's that overall effect that would have me recommend it.

7. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Buy second hand Audio Research (LS22, phono stage, power amp) cheap off eBay or Audiogon, send them to Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound and let him work his magic. He will turn them into items you will never better regardless of price. He currently has my LS22. $10k in total (equipment and upgrades) should give you a $100k sound system!

You will find reviews at Audiogon. You will find Steve here: http://www.greatnorthernsound.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.