Have we finally reached rock bottom? (Techmoans - competition for Crosley) *-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

I suppose thats true, would be kind of useless to have if you cant change cartridge anyway really.

I remember asking the guy about this upon watching your video. I found the thread in the comment section from 8 months back and he says he removed the mat and thus was able to get his scale to about the same height as a record would be. I guess his scale must have been one of those with a smaller platform sticking out.
    [​IMG]
    Or he still got it wrong somehow ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But as you would say, under 6 grams should still cause little to no damage right ;^)

2. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Still wrong. Those gauges are nowhere near as thin as a record. Here's what mine measured with one of those scales placed on the platter with the mat removed -- around half a gram higher than its actual tracking force:

[​IMG]

Maggie likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Well unless its like a 200 gram record maybe.
    But I suppose its not perfect still.

I wonder still how he got nearly 1 gram more than in this example though. Even with the mat on it wouldnt be 4.7 grams right?

4. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Nope. Those scales are far thicker than even the thickest LP you'll ever play.

Ortofon makes a tracking force gauge with a measuring platform that's as thin as an LP, but it costs over $100...

Accounting for how he measured it, his turntable is probably tracking at around 4 grams. A bit on the high side, but still well within Audio-Technica's allowable range for the ATN3600L stylus (3.5 grams ±1 g).

If he wanted to, he could adjust the spring to get it down to exactly 3.5 grams. But I doubt his stylus or records would ever notice the difference.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Leonthepro likes this.
  5. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I have a platter on which I play records using no mat. There is nothing to remove from the platter to make the resting plate of the scale even in height with a typical record on the platter. So I must construct a platform (out of cd cases and cds) that fits right next to the edge of the platter as close to the playing surface as possible that will insure the cartridge is roughly even with its level when on the record playing. I then adjust the VTF there and hope it's really close to the same VTF when it swings over about an inch and onto the record. I'm sure it's pretty close.

6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

And as for the actual rock bottom, this is it -- a record player that sells for less than the cost of most new records:

http://a.co/6x7zdoX

[​IMG]

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

It might be superior to the op tt because at least it's cheap!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.