Have You Actually A/B Tested Power Cords?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I know this is a nightmare topic, but just want to hear if you tested and heard different power cords on your system? I'm looking at picking up some used Jena Labs power cords and am curious about my future A/B testing.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

It would surprise me if anybody has.

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I tried quality Belden vs the original power cable and heard no difference on various tube amps. You see, all my rebuilds got a grounding type power cord upgrade for safety.

hi_watt and Garthb like this.
  4. Garthb

Agreed, that's why I posted this!

Scratcha and Soundgarden like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I did, once. My standard (came with my amp) cord and a Kubala-Sosna Emotion power cord. I felt the K-S cord delivered more dynamics, better defined bass, but I could just be full of s***.

Scratcha, JJ Cahill, wwright and 19 others like this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Never heard of anyone doing a study on this specifically. Never even heard of anyone doing a close to scientific manner of testing. Its always just anecdotal claims that there can be a difference. Ill wait until I see some published papers or hear a clear difference myself until I believe any of that.

Garthb likes this.
  7. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have always been cynical about whether the final few ft of cable can make a difference (10s or 100s of miles of transmission line from power generation, substation, numerous connections, cable to domestic consumer unit, house cabling to wall socket etc). For that reason, it makes no logical sense to me to spend money on fancy power cables.

However, I have made my own versions using braid screened 3 core 2.5mm, not because I think it makes any audible difference to the standard IEC cables that came with my equipment but because I want to avoid interference to low signal interconnects/speaker cables behind the equipment rack (it might make a difference to those signals but it certainly can't make things worse).

Others claim expensive power cords make a difference so if that makes them happy good for them. But when I notice well used audiophile words like "slightly, a bit more, a hint, fairly subtle, I think I hear etc", my placebo antenna starts to twitch....

head_unit, Wngnt90, Garthb and 2 others like this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

While I've never used a super expensive power cord, I am using a couple cords in the $100 bracket. I can't say I hear any difference, but I don't know how you could do any serious comparison other than live with them.

Garthb likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Do ABX testing, have someone switch them out one day without you knowing and see if you notice. Its not that hard to test.

The Beave, Chip Z, Shel and 1 other person like this.
  10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Or, the gear sees it as the FIRST few feet and it DOES matter.

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

That's not what I think of as "ABX" testing. Also, the amp, with wall plug , is directly in my line of sight while listening. I'd know for sure which power cable is in use. The PC used on my source is way too difficult to get in and out. An most importantly to me, I don't really care whether or not it makes a difference.

Wngnt90 and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  12. Leonthepro

No I meant, ABX testing, aaaand long term switching.
    And I think the least of our problems is if you spot the cable considering we would have broken into your house ;^)
    This would of course need to be done in a more controlled environment.
    But if you dont care then I suppose you could easily save yourself a lot of money.

timind likes this.
  13. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Miles and miles of electric company distribution cable to your fuse box, and then standard hardware store electrical cables in your wall. Then inside your amp, from the cable socket to the transformer, more basic hardware store grade electrical cable.

And don't forget that the power coming out of that power supply transformer turns into DC, and gets filtered to remove any AC ripple in the current before it hits the signal path in your amp.

I can't see how 2 or three feet of special AC power cable inserted between all that, its gonna affect the sound at all.

warpedwing, wilejoe, qwerty and 13 others like this.
  14. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

So you have not tried a direct comparison?

unclefred, Atmospheric and F1nut like this.
  15. Gretsch6136

Yes I certainly have, with my amp tech. Not that I needed to. The results support the logic laid out in my post above.

wilejoe, sami, etzeppy and 3 others like this.
  16. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Interesting. I had different results. I use Shunyata cables that have noise filtering built into them. Are you using dedicated outlets for your system?
    Tim

F1nut likes this.
  17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Surprise! I have. Many times.

I just replaced a very old Synergistic Research AC Master Coupler with a new Grover Empress power cord, from a PS Audio Power Plant feeding a Parasound Halo JC2. Immediate impressions of the Grover are that it's a bit less sharp, or perhaps smoother in the high end, with a broader soundstage. Put the SR back in and there's more sparkle in the high end, or perhaps it's amplified noise that the Grover deals with. I don't know why, but there is a difference.

I have never tried Jena cords, but they have a very good reputation.

I will put in a plug for Grover's products, particularly since if you mention you're an SHF member he gives a discount.

John K.

Catcher10, F1nut and Garthb like this.
  18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

This is gonna get nasty just as it always does, and so freaking tiring.

Wngnt90, Kristofa, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  19. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Sure. Experimented with a number of cords many years ago before settling on what I have now; have probably had those in use now for at least 10 years, maybe longer.

First of all, I am not a gear flipper. Have owned my table (although I have done manufacturer upgrades on it over the years) for 35 years. Speakers more than 30 years. Have owned 3 integrated amps since the late 80's. Have used the last one for about 6 years now, the previous one for about 9. Have had my phono stage for 10 years now. Ran the same speaker cable once for probably 20 years.

Spend an average of 2 hours a day I would say listening to my system. So I know what it, and my music sounds like over a long period of time.

Many years ago when I was fooling around with power cords, I experimented with a number of them. Those that I can remember:

the "Asylum" DIY power cord, which was Bob Crump's idea and based on Belden 19364, an entry level cord from BMI, LAT International, an XLO cord which retailed around $200-$250 as I recall, a Blue Circle BC 62, a Cardas Golden power cord (the most expensive of the bunch at around $400 retail at the time-sells for $540 now I see through Music Direct), a Virtual Dynamics cord, DIY using JPS in-wall cable and Marinco connectors, and DIY cords utilizing DH Labs Power Plus raw cable and Marinco connectors.

I listened to my system using these cords over a period of years, not months, and they had significantly different sonic signatures in my system. Ultimately, I also cryogenically treated many of them and compared their performance in my system post cryo as well.

In terms of final evaluations, I never placed much, if any emphasis on short term A/B comparisons or switching power cables (or any cable that I've ever evaluated for that matter) quickly in and out of the system. What I did was slot the cable into the system and use it for 3-4 months at a minimum before slotting another cable in. IMO, that is the best way to evaluate any cable, power or otherwise, especially if you are listening to music 2-3 hours a day or more. Sonic differences in cables are much more readily established in my opinion doing this.

There were times when it was very obvious that I preferred one cable to another. In those cases, I may not have gone the full 3-4 months but switched back after 2-4 weeks instead because of the obvious preference. In essence, the best cable(s) kept coming back and remaining in the system until they were no longer the best.

In the end, I've ended up with the Virtual Dyamics cable on my integrated and DIY DH Labs Power Plus with Marinco connectors on my phono stage and line conditioner. All have been cryoed. I also ran with the DH Labs on my integrated for a long time and could be happy with it there as well. The DH Labs is very slightly warmer and perhaps just bit less neutral and possibly very slightly less detailed than the Virtual Dynamics cord in that application but there's not much in it.

The DH Labs cables cost me about $75-$80 each to construct and have cryoed buying the raw cable and connectors (it can also be purchased as a fully assembled/terminated product from DH Labs a little bit more dressed up in techflex for around $225); a far cry from the current price of the Cardas Golden, which I thought was a good cord but simply too warm and colored to live with long term. In a very up front or really bright system, or for someone wanting to warm their system up, though, that cord might be the perfect ticket.

I also had a chance to audition one of Audio Sensibility's power cables a number of years ago (I have a couple of Steve's tonearm cables in use here and they are a huge bang for buck cable); I believe it was a Testament model and it was a very nice step up from what I'm using at $299 Cnd or about $230 U.S. at current exchange rates but in the end I did not purchase. If I was looking to upgrade that's probably what I'd look at.

If you play long enough at this game you realize there is always something better out there. Sometimes you just have to be happy.

But in a decently resolving system, good power cords can make a pretty substantial improvement in my experience. You don't necessarily have to spend huge money either, particularly if you can strip wire, count to three and differentiate between 3 colors. I am not a very handy guy, but even I can do that.

Jena cryos everything, so you are off to a good start on that basis alone.

patrickd, unclefred, mcd4959 and 8 others like this.
  20. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Tried A/B test over years... Never heard a big diff if any even with amps. Too much hassle to flip cables and the time in between makes me doubt my auditory memory.

Here are measurements of Synergistic vs. stock off Oppo BDP 105.

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Power Cable Redux. The Synergistic Research Tesla T2 SE, T3 SE and PowerCell 4.

Might test with amps at some point for devices needing extra current. Currently I just make sure I have larger calibre power cables to the amps (like 14G).

Soundslave, Helom and beowulf like this.
  21. Leonthepro

I think hes pointing more towards scientific testing.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

I bought the cables to see if I noticed any improvement. Nothing spectacular for sure. At this point, if I want to change the sound I will swap in a different amp, or if I want a very noticeable change, I'll swap speakers. Just no thrill in swapping cables for me.
    Many audiophiles get a kick out of "listening" to cables. More power to them I say.:righton:

Brodie McChoad and Garthb like this.
  23. Garthb

[​IMG]

Ok, here are the Jena Labs 916 "Purple Power", notes later after listening...

jfeldt, lonelysea and timztunz like this.
  24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Well it’s pretty anyway. Good luck, and most of all enjoy the journey.

mcd4959 and Garthb like this.
  25. Gretsch6136

No its not a dedicated outlet. For some reason it seems people located in America have lots of issues with hum & interference emanating from their power supply. Here in Australia its not a problem. Everywhere I've lived there's never been a problem with the power supply, so no, never had a reason to have a dedicated line to the hifi.

Oh and one of the high end power cables that had all the fancy screening......my tech had a good look at it and laughed. The screening wasn't even connected to ground!

wilejoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.