Have you crowd funded an album? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Threw in a tenner towards the recording cost of the 'Songs For The Voiceless' - Various Artists. Songs relating to first World War soldiers and their families. Hardly a laugh a minute. In fact, by track three I was welling up. That said, in 2018 they're planning a follow-up dealing with the end of the war. I'll be throwing brass in for that too. It has to be done.

[​IMG]

2. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I have contributed to several projects and it's been fantastic. You get constant updates and exclusive content, an early copy of the finished project and most importantly you feel connected to the artist and the music in a way not previously possible.

botley, c-eling and Who'sTommy like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes I previously contributed to The Chapin Sisters tribute to the Everly Brothers, and Paula Cole's "Raven". I also have several outstanding Pledgemusic projects: Lea DeLaria (jazz covers of Bowie), Macy Gray, Becca Stevens, singer-songwriter Keren Ann, Rickie Lee Jones, and Lalah Hathaways's upcoming "live" album recorded at the Troubadour, where her dad recorded part of his famous live album.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Information Society's latest, was fun, ended up getting some good rarities!
    Best album since Peace and Love, Inc.

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the delay had to do with the death of the guitarist.

6. ServingTheMusic

all excellent projects!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  7. ServingTheMusic

This one looks ultra cool..

8. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I was in on the Marillion Marbles campaign. I also used Pledge for a Grant-Lee Philips album and an album/dvd by the London based prog band 'Archive' (I would strongly recommend seeking out some Archive stuff, a great band).

However, I was also recently involved in the Sparklehorse tribute record which, it appears, has ended in tears. The campaign reached $50,000 and had some great artists involved (Flamping Lips, Mercury Rev, Jason Lytle etc). Whilst all the music has been recorded and mix it now appears that it won't see the light of day due to issues with the Mark Linous estate. All pledgers have now been informed that we won't be getting the product (Vinyl in my case) or our money back. :mad:

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

You know, if I can help contribute to more artists pressing vinyl copies of their projects, I'm all for it. Case in point is the Becca Stevens (which is excellent, BTW). The album was done through PledgeMusic, and then she signed with Universal Classics to help distribute the album. However, Universal Classics is not going to release the project on vinyl, so that Becca is working to still press the vinyl, but it will ONLY be released for the PledgeMusic contributors that selected that option.

10. ServingTheMusic

I have seen that in other cases too..and sometimes they make a very special pressing..colored vinyl etc.

11. ServingTheMusic

That is a train wreck for sure..thankfully, and hopefully, this is a rare occurrence.

12. Wild Frank

I only lost about £20 but some of the Sparklehorse perks were quite substantial if I recall. However, as you mentioned, it was a rare occurance.

13. botley

botley Forum Resident

I had a great experience with crowdfunding that involved Alain Johannes, one of my favourite musicians, during the PledgeMusic campaign for his solo album Fragments and Wholes, Vol. 1 — eventually received a signed CD and lossless download ahead of the official physical release date, as well as a treasure trove of updates and behind-the-scenes videos throughout the recording process.

14. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since Marillion's fan-funded US tour in support of This Strange Engine. I donated $25 towards the tour, and even though I didn't get to see them live I did receive a copy of the resulting Rochester live album. Pretty sure that's the only crowd-funded album I've been a part of. :)

15. ServingTheMusic

Pretty much mirrors my experience.

botley likes this.
  16. Wild Frank

Marillion are such an under-appreciated beast. I don't know what it's like on your side of the pond but in the UK the mainstream music media treat them like lepers. Shame.

17. ServingTheMusic

Yes, it is hard to believe...I was not a super fan but I had friends who were obsessive.

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Actually, thanks for this thread Andre, maybe we could keep it updated for future projects :cheers:

19. ServingTheMusic

Let's hope..:agree:

I'm doing Dawes now and of course I am on the lookout for more projects...

20. botley

botley Forum Resident

The amazing band Failure are currently recording their long-awaited follow up to Fantastic Planet, and it's funded through PledgeMusic, but the swag is not cheap.

21. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I helped with a Kickstarter campaign for The Choir, for their album Shadow Weaver. Got an autographed CD, vinyl double album, and downloads.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yup , a few

23. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

I did the exact same thing. Figured that-if nothing else-I'd get a cool and valuable collectible. And I was right!

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  24. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Treating them as lepers would be an improvement for US media. They don't know they exist.

Retro Hound and Olias of Sunhill like this.
  25. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I participated in the crowdfunding of an of Montreal documentary dvd. The bonus was a very limited lp with early demos and my name in the credits :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.