Have you ever heard a CD player or DAC that just blew away all others?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEAC made some great ones in TEAC machines. However, a lot of manufacturers modify the drives with their own firmware / hardware / software and this is when they become prone to failure! I had a Krell with a top-flight TEAC drive mechanism but it failed after less than 2 years.

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I would think that even if you had a front end that was as perfectly flat as if it had been run over by a steamroller wouldn’t you have to hear it through a perfectly flat headset? That way you’ll be eliminating extraneous influences such as speakers and environment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. missan

missan Forum Resident

There can be slight differences I believe, mostly depending on the power supplies and analog components. How much is rather subjective.

4. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

IMO, all recordings are “colored”, in various ways, to a much higher degree than a decent high end playback system. Think about it; microphones and their placement, cables, mixing consoles, analog or digital, effects and EQ, mastering etc. Some put the same care into choosing this equipment that we do in our systems, but many don't. Producers are all trying to get a particular “sound”, which may, or may not, be “accurate” to the original performance.

Leonel Silva Rocha and beppe like this.
  5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, but why I should another blanket of colorization?

6. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I guess one either likes the euphoric distortion that tube output stage digital players introduce or you don't. I admit that I do like it. However, I can't seem to prioritize an investment into a player that would really do it for me. I keep spending more money on my vinyl rig!

Higlander likes this.
  7. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

Ideally, you shouldn't. For any given recording, whatever colorization your system has may complement it, make it sound better, or it may make it sound worse. It depends on the recording. The best systems will show the most differences between recordings, and not impose their own character on all recordings, for good or ill. Again, ideally, the “sound” you hear should not be that of your system, but of each individual recording.

Leonel Silva Rocha and Dave like this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

On the CD player side, every time I've heard a Rega Isis, I've been extremely impressed. Pretty awesome build quality on those units as well.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

"Have you ever heard a CD player or DAC that just blew away all others?"

Nope.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

11. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Yes, a Rega DAC-R. Loved it so much I purchased it. I have a pretty decent vinyl rig and it keeps up with it just fine. It is awesome.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

CD player I really liked in the 1990s was a Micro something. Was it Micromega or Micro this or that? Micromanager?

At any rate, the sound was fantastic. It was made in France and the tray mechanism constantly broke but the sound was heavenly. Too unreliable.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think it was Micromega

John Buchanan likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, this is it (or close) a Stage One. Micromega. Really, really good sound. Really unreliable. Tom Port and I each had one and then we traded to our other buddies. Nothing we had sounded this good then.

micro_10.jpg

Leonel Silva Rocha likes this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is pretty funny, I had a Micromega transport a long time ago and the tray mechanism made an awful sound when opening. Found a picture of it on my old Photobucket.

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it howled or squeaked or something. Drove me bonkers. We even greased it, nothing worked.

17. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

That particular player used bitstream conversion and a Philips CDM12.4 mechanism driven by in-house software. One of the things I liked most about Rotel's vintage players from this same era is their use of Philips CDMXX mechanisms. Not sure why the Micromega had so much noise.

Leonel Silva Rocha likes this.
  18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I think this information explains the source of the problem...and an interesting summary of what happened to them:

"Micromega was founded by Daniel Schar, who was the real wizard behind the company, and whose great input was first truly acknowledged by the arrival of the modular Stage series CDPs in the early '90s. these were the Stage 1, 2 and 3 players, which differed mostly in the re-fittable main board that contained the most sonics responsible PSU and DAC parts. The sudden fall of the firm began when, after several months' flawless service, almost the full range of CDPs they had sold started to skip CDs - all in the warranty period. apart from clearly realizing there was some problem with the Philips CDM12.4 mechanism or laser, they first believed there was something also wrong with the electronics side of things somehow counteracting with the mechanism, so they re-designed their integrated CDP range, and issued the Stage 4, 5 and 6 players. these new CDPs were based on their predecessors using the same DAC chip (TDA1305T, doubled in the Stage 2 and 3, and in the 5 and 6) but the younger siblings contained less components, and in the case of the 3 vs. 6, minus 2 transformers. also, the sonic presentation was different, as well, in that the newer models were IME more dark-sounding than their older counterparts and, IMHO, some music in the process went ashtray, too.

Since these CDPs also used the Philips CDM12.4 mechanism, these started to go wrong, too, thus making an enormous expenditure for Micromega to repair the thousands of CDPs that arrived monthly to their HQ in France. moreover, as they didn't locate the cause of the real problem soon enough, customers who received back their repaired units started to experience the same problem soon again, thus failing to trust the products, which led to a big financial and market loss of Micromega. this couldn't be cured even after realizing that all the nuisance was caused by the grease in the mechanism that, during normal use, started to stick, resulting in CD skipping and drawer sticking, and in spite of the introduction of the new Premium range of CDPs, they in the end had to close their doors. though the firm was re-started some years ago, as others above correctly stated, the present Micromega is not what that good ol' Micromega was at all."

19. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The latest issue of Stereophile has a featured review of MBL's latest spinner - the $15,000 N31. They say it sounds great. Surprised that so many high end manufacturers are still rolling out equipment for a "dying format".

The sound is typically the most important aspect of an audio component, but when it comes to CD players the question of reliability is almost of equal importance, especially when we are talking about something costing five or even four figures. I say this as I prepare to buy my third CD player in twenty years.

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yes. My current Esoteric SACD player. I am sure your Romulus probably sounds even better.

21. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

I certainly hope it does "sound better", for a rediculous $15,000. For that price, it should be better than home-made lasagna, sex, and Don Perignon. Or maybe, I just think so (because I haven't had any of these for a while). :magoo:

M.R.Collins, klonk, Metralla and 2 others like this.
  22. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

You need to roll some great tubes in it.
    I'm currently using late 50s Holland Amperex tubes for all 4.
    Did you buy silver or black?

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It may be humble compared to some of the products mentioned here, but my home demo of the Bryston BDA3 was better than anything else I’ve heard so far.

JakeM likes this.
  24. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Stereophile sez "tough to beat and definitely one to consider in the $15,000 and under field of players" :)

lonelysea likes this.
  25. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

There is a well known dealer in Florida who carries Luxman/Esoteric and T+A. In his Opinion the Luxman D-08 CD/SACD player is slightly better than the newest T+A player and the Esoteric K-01X (Which unfortunately I have) isn't even in the conversation. Guess I will be buying another 15K+ Spinner...and then getting my head examined.

lonelysea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.