Have you ever preferred the CD to the Vinyl release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gregorya, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message Thread Starter

It seems that there is a strong preference to the vinyl release vs the CD release on the forum.

I've also noticed a number of people expressing negative opinions about one format or the other, apparently without hearing both on their systems.

My question is, have you ever heard both versions and preferred the CD release? If so, what is the reason?

In my case, the main reason I have preferred CD releases is that their vinyl counterpart suffered from pressing issues.

2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

^
    ^
    ^.........in a nutshell

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Almost always :cheers:

GerryO, sennj, mattdm11 and 32 others like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love vinyl but yes there are times I do prefer the cd.

punkmusick, Man at C&A, Alan2 and 9 others like this.
  5. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Never.....except once, when I was camping in the forest and needed a reflective surface to use as a mirror so I could comb my hair.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Ah, the old “LP vs. CD” chestnut. This oughta be good. These threads always go well. Even if it wasn’t the OP’s intention, that’s likely where this thread is headed, only to be locked down because of it.

Ed

7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The Beggar's Banquet SACD is superior to any vinyl version that came before it, IMHO.

Tim 2, Dmdstrhalo, apesfan and 8 others like this.
  8. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The Zombie Heaven CD box set was leaps and bounds ahead of any previous vinyl versions of the tracks that came before, IMHO.

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Veruca Salt's Ghost Notes. The LP as absolutely terrible.
    So, usually new releases on vinyl with bad mastering and pressing.

10. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Absolutely and exclusively! I do not tolerate surface noise or any other distortion inherent in every phonograph record.

11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I hope not. I'd like to think we can all politely share our different preferences and just be happy for one another that we're all fortunate enough to be able to enjoy the music we love.

Buddybud, DaverJ and gregorya like this.
  12. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

No vinyl it dont sound better it LOOKS better

13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Very very rarely. A couple of examples however are Air/Virgin Suicides Sndtk and Elton John/ Don't Shoot Me...

Dmdstrhalo and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message Thread Starter

I hope not Ed... I know it has the potential to go badly, but I wasn't intending this to pit one format against the other... there are inherent pros/cons baked in to both.

Let's see how it goes.

Nostaljack and Crimson Witch like this.
  16. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I always prefer the CD. Frankly, the only time I buy vinyl is when I find something which is (A) very rare which hasn't been released on CD (B) a CD which was recorded from a less than pristine record because the master tapes weren't available or (C) because the CD release was deleted and impossible to find or ridiculously expensive. In all three cases I transfer the record to CD and hard drive and consign the record to a shelf if I really like the artwork or just scan the cover and resell it.

Billchi_11, DiabloG, ispace and 4 others like this.
  17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The Rhino CD of Love's Forever Changes sounded better than other previous LP versions I had heard. My few copies of the LP -- including an original brown label Elektra -- always sounded muddy and noisy compared to the CD. On the LPs, it seemed like the levels were so low and the medium couldn't really handle the dynamic range of the music.

Man at C&A, Dmdstrhalo, Sear and 2 others like this.
  18. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Actually, there's a (D). If I know I'm going to meet an artist I'll pick up a copy of my favorite LP of theirs for them to autograph.

padreken likes this.
  19. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

20. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Usually only in my car. :p

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

There instances where the vinyl does sound better or vice versa.

As long as the vinyl has a low crackle it really is a beautiful thing to listen to. You almost forget its there. It requires a taste not all have, I don't mean that in a bad way. I understand people that don't like any noise during a music listen that's the reason I went to cds in the mid to late 1980's As long as it doesn't snap crackle pop the music I love the vinyl listening experience. One or two pops I could live with but no more.

22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

If the mastering is better

23. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

My only concession too :righton:

tinnox and Otlset like this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i personally don't buy into the vinyl is better than cd debate. to the best of my knowledge cd has the ability to contain a higher dynamic range and also not have the aforementioned pressing flaws. cd's don't deteriorate from my experience, take up less space and are more portable. vinyl does have the bonus of a nice big cover and no microscopic lyric sheets lol
    i love listening to my vinyl, but i feel it's more a nostalgia thing.
    when cd's first came out we all jumped for joy at friction free playback.
    one of the problems with all releases, no matter the format, these days is the overwhelming want for too much limiting and compression. i think this started with a mind to making songs louder on the radio and therefor making them stand out from the crowd. then it morphed into a case of everybody wanting to be as loud as possible, to the point where i have read people's album reviews saying things like "this album is too quiet and i have to turn the volume right up" .... as if hifi's don't have a volume control.
    i personally enjoy sacd's, dvd audio and blu ray audio and although they have the ability to contain more dynamics and frequency range than anything the human ear can actually hear, i get them for the 5.1 mixes lol ...
    anyhow, i am just a layman, not a sound technician, but that is my two cents.

25. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

I prefer cd's but i have a strong preference for vinyl floors though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.