Have you ever waited buying an artists' catalog?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Have you ever waited buying an artists catalog because they were going to get reissued and/or remastered?

I've been waiting to buy Bruce Springsteen's catalog. They were supposed to be remastered a couple years ago and I'm still waiting!!!

I'm still waiting to buy Bob Dylan's classic albums too !

Anyone else wait like I have???

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'm the opposite. When I hear about a remaster, I try to find the old unremastered discs before they go out of print.

Especially if it's from particular record companies.....

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bought all my favs by pre order since the early 80's...
    The longer you wait just turns into wasted time!...and running the risk of a sh***y remaster! We all know what that's about:)

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I've recently bought all of the classic 60s Dylan albums on CD, even though I knew the SACDs were (are?) coming out. They were available cheap (many at $10 - that's around US$6 - each).

I can understand Gary's attitude too - I'm trying to find unmolested versions of many albums, and have recently picked up a couple of Lennon (POB and Mind Games) and McCartney (Band on the Run) CDs, and am still looking for the rest! I recently spent a fortune on a Abba box to get the pre-Astley versions!

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

BOB DYLAN... I have no Dylan CD, except DCC's Highway 61 Revisited. But I have heard rave reviews about the SACDs and I will buy some of them.

6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yeah-I'm waiting to buy the following catalogs remastered:

1)Neil Young - On DVD-A and HDCD everything From Neil Young (st) to Live Rust

2)The Pretenders-1st,Extended Play,2nd,Learing To Crawl- might just buy the boxset which I hear is back on the schedule for August '04

3)The Replacements-Tim,Pleased To Meet Me,Don't Tell A Soul,All Shook Down -actualy broke down and bought Tim already. remastered/not remastered too essential to wait on IMO

4)The Stooges-Funhouse

5)INXS-Shabooh,Shoobah ,The Swing,and Listen Like Thieves latest I hear these are being remastered and will be released sometime '04 along with an INXS DVD-A of the hits!

7. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

ZZ Top.

'Nuff said.

8. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

The Beatles

I'm talking about almost buying the albums for years (only having my mom's blue 67-70 Capitol 2-LP set), but never actually doing it - then the release of the CD's were coming in the mid 80's, so I held off for those.

That's what I finally bought.

Little did I know.

But, now I do have their catalog.

Joel

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I've been holding off on buying Warren Zevon's Elektra stuff, anticipating an eventual Rhino re-do.

Same with The Stooges and the first bunch of Pretenders albums.

10. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I've held off on Blood on the Tracks. But I'm finally gave in on His Band and Street Choir.

- Joe

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I held off on buying several CD's but then tried like hell to find the original versions after I heard the remolestering job. Klaatu anyone? Bon Jovi anyone? ABBA anyone?

There are very few catalogs that have been improved by remasters. Billy Joel is, without debate, much better than the original CD's. Others include Genesis, Yes (either the Rhino or the Gastwirt remasters), Cheap Trick, Harry Nilsson, etc... Not many out there.

I bet well be adding Dylan to this list. Not much competion in his old CD's.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm still waiting for:
    • Brian Eno - Here Comes the Warm Jets is too bright for me, but Before and After Science and Another Green World are OK. I missed out onthe box sets, they're too out of reach for me
    • Pretenders
    • Emmylou Harris - Rhino has started remastering, but only one album so far
    • The Beatles- does anyone agree? :D
    • Bob Dylan
    • Nick Lowe - there's a treasure trove of Non-LP B-Sides to unearth

13. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I did it with CCR. My first listen to most of their music, outside of the hits, was on SACD.

Envy me. :)

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Al Jolson. Also the Beatles.

15. bartels76

I'm waiting on the early WB Van Morrison CD's too.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've always felt it would be best to wait for Dylan, Springsteen, U2, and Kate Bush. I hope I don't wait in vain.

17. bartels76

For the catalogs I've waited for I should've got them back when I worked at a record store and I could get them used for like $ 3 or $ 4 a piece. I could've enjoyed them for the past several years at least.

U2 was supposed to re-release their catalog but has been delayed forever. Very disappointing. They could do Deluxe Editions on practically their whole catalog and would be big sellers!

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Agreed. I bought all the EPs and Imports I could find back in the 80s. They could follow Rhino's lead and issue the album on 1 CD and B-Sides and bonus tracks on a second CD, a la Elvis Costello.

19. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I don't own a single album by the Beatles. I have really wanted to get into them for a long time, but the only CDs I have ever heard of theirs did not sound too hot. So I kept putting them off. Plus, I know if I buy just one, then I'll want to buy them all. So I guess I am still holding out for some Hi-Rez or at least some well-done remasters. Or vinyl if/when I get a turntable.

21. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I waited for Jethro Tull and ELO. I think the most recent Jethro Tull Remasters are actually pretty good, but I picked up the "Discovery" remaster by ELO and was disappointed. I ended up making needle drops of the rest of their stuff like Eldorado and Out Of The Blue and unless I hear someone say something good about the next batch I think I will let it go at that. That of course assumes there will be a next batch.

22. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I have rarely held off, but strangely the CCR SACDs are the first time I've gone after the CCR catalog!

I wouldn't have said this a number of years ago, but now I feel like forthcoming remasters (other than possibly hi-rez) will generally NOT improve on what's come before, thanks to compression techniques in mastering. There will be exceptions, where the original CDs are still tough to digest for other reasons.

23. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Several come to mind...

Peggy Lee - Bewitching Lee and Latin ala Lee (waited for Steve's versions)

The last two CCR albums (again waiting for Steve's remaster)

From Elvis in Memphis and Sunrise... I am hoping Vic Anesini will remaster these. He did a splendid job on Elvis Close Up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.