Have you preorderd the new ELAC speakers from Andrew Jones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

Has anybody pre-ordered any of AJ's new speakers from ELAC?
    The bookshelf models ship this week, the floorstanders ship in a couple more weeks.

I'm on the hunt to upgrade my AJ Pioneers, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a pair of the B6 or F5.

Here's my thinking:
    • Andrew Jones has proven himself in the budget price range
    • The company has a lot riding on this product line
    • It could be one of those first-generation products that turns out to be great, but later gets watered down for various reasons
    • There's a lot of positive buzz about them, based on previews at T.H.E. Show Newport

jamesc likes this.
  2. I did not know that Andrew Jones left Pioneer. I wonder what will happen to TAD?

Anyway, I will certainly watch ELAC from afar. Jones' budget Pioneer designs were very nice, but I still preferred the sound of the NHT SuperZero 2.1 to them. To me, for the past 20+ years, the SuperZeros have been THE budget speaker to beat--primarily because they don't sound budget at all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

I have not, but I gave my AJ Pioneers to a friend and imagine I'll replace them with the new little Elacs. I can't imagine they'll be anything less than pretty good

Laibach likes this.
  4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I heard the B5 monitors at T.H.E. Show Newport Beach back in May. Those little monitors were much more than pretty good. If Andrew Jones (who was conducting the demo) had told me they cost a grand a pair I would have believed him.

james likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

been reading about them. Sound fantastic. I wonder what they'll sell for with a MSRP 0f $229? That tweeter looks to die for.

6. TimL

TimL Forum Resident

Yes. I pre-ordered the B5s and the S10EQ sub. Elac emailed me 3 weeks ago saying the plan was for shipping out end of Sept, so they are a bit behind schedule. That's ok. I'm already an Andrew Jones convert (my main speakers are his Infinity Composition Preludes).

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Why is that?

8. TimL

TimL Forum Resident

Andrew Jones said in an interview that the "street" price will be $200 a pair for the B5s.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That one shot of it -- forgot which page -- shows it lying on a table. It's huge. Must be an inch and half and it looks strangely geodesic with a bee's-eye shape. Oh, is it kevlar? A kevlar tweeter?

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, Bhob and Trapper J like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Damn!!!

Johnny Wong likes this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've got a budget pair of speakers with kevlar drivers, they don't look anything like that.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Now that I look at it, I think that's a metal dome over the tweeter. But what material is the tweeter baffle? Is that Kevlar? Or what is that stuff? Oh, carbon fiber.

13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Thanks for posting this topic.

I may order a pair of B6 just for the helluvit.
    At this price, possibly a no brainer?

bhazen likes this.
  14. Lebowski

So far Amazon is selling them at full MSRP. They are shipping the B5 and B6 this week, supposedly. I'm tempted to buy a pair of the B6 to hear while waiting for the F5 (then return the first pair LOL)

A local dealer (a high-end shop) was trying to get an F5 demo pair, but has not even received a reply from them (or from his buyer, not sure who he contacted). I'm guessing they are very busy with the product roll out.

I think the only thing holding me back at this point is aesthetics. They're not very good looking, though I've only seen them in photographs.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

On the ELAC website says that it's a 1-inch cloth dome with custom deep-spheroid waveguide.

16. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

17. There's a picture of it, too. The tweeter itself looks conventional but it is set back about 1/2" into the enclosure and the waveguide is more like a horn. It's covered with a metal grill. See here, halfway down page:

http://elac.us/peopletechnology

5-String likes this.
  18. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I have never seen not heard of black brushed vinyl finish.

It looks kind of nice in the photo of the A4 Dolby Atmos® Module.

http://elac.us/speakers - bottom of the page.

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm most excited to hear the B6 - all things being equal, a 6.5" mid/woofer will present a more widescreen sound than a 5" ...

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Waiting for the more upscale version.

21. Lebowski

How about the F5? It has three 5.25" woofers; I believe one of them is dedicated to mid-range.

bhazen likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A P3ESR killer...?

Ha ... Hadn't considered it. Widescreen to the max, I bet! :)

23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Out of curiosity, is ELAC pronounced EE-lack, or E-L-A-C? Really excited about hearing these!

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Just looks like a perforated cover to me.

25. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I need some decent budget speakers. These may do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.