Have you re-discovered listening to physical CDs on a physical CD player?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agora Mike, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agora Mike

Agora Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ripped all my CDs to MP3 in 2002, which was a significant investment in time and effort. Not too long ago, I decided to re-rip my collection in lossless FLAC.

In the process, I realized that I have a real connection to my CD collection. Thanks to this forum, I've learned that I have first pressings of some of the most important albums of my youth that I bought as a teenager and luckily still own.

All my music is available "digitally" around the house and on my phone. But. I love scanning my shelves of physical CDs, choosing one of many, and playing it from beginning to end. It's very relaxing and sounds so good.

Just wondering if you put your CDs in storage and decided to pull them back out and why?

kyouki, ispace, spsimmons and 36 others like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Mine never went into storage [well except to move!] The CD's from my first batch from 1982 still sound wonderful. I enjoy having a stereo system as my true listening source. The rest is just for convenience, travel, car etc.

3. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Yes, ever since I bought my Oppo 105!
    I too re-ripped my cd collection to upgrade to FLAC, I feel your pain & pleasure.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Right before I came to this forum I did. I started buying CDs again, and found out that many sounded bad. Now I know why. :)

zebop likes this.
  5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Not really. I rip all my CDs to FLAC, and browse my collection via a smartphone/tablet.

saturdayboy, eric777, ynnek4 and 5 others like this.
  6. I do it when I'm home in front of the receiver. Elsewhere I stream it or listen to my portable player in the car.

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Brought a dedicated CD player into the bedroom in the last 12 months. Of course, non-CD acquisitions continue to happen, and get played in whatever manner they demand, but sometimes I don't want to look for something, I don't want to be second-guesser and build the just-so playlist, I don't want to transfer files to the appropriate system (when necessary)... I just come across a CD that strikes me and I don't even want to put it in my computer system.I don't want to rip or tag anything.

I want to just put the disc in a tray, hit a button on the dedicated appliance, and listen.

kyouki, sound chaser, ccbarr and 6 others like this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

CDs and LPs are still my preferred listening setup on the home system. If I'm traveling or out and about, I might use my phone to sample a song or album either on allmusic or youtube but that's the extent of it.

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have listened to CDs every day since I first got a player in the early 90s. I listen to things off the internet-in fact I'm doing so right now-but CDs are my main music source, followed by LPs. Fortunately, I have room for my very large collection & I love it.

sound chaser, ispace, JDeanB and 10 others like this.
  10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Never left em. CDs are still great and when you can get em for 1 to 3 bucks each, what's not to like?

11. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I too have rediscovered my love for CDs add to the fact I still held on to my collection over the years and have recently started acquiring more since they are so cheap these days people are practically giving them away! However I seriously doubt I would spend more than $5 on a cd though.

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

13. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Me either.

14. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I never went down the MP3 route, but ripped/rip all my CD's with EAC to FLAC. My very expensive CD player has not seen any power for a few years now. I have too many non-CD music files in hi-res formats, so I am resolutely a computer-based listener. To each their own.

15. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Nor me.

Every time I think about how long it would take to rip and tag all of my CDs or SACDs and the extra bits of stuff I would have to buy in order to play those rips I think "Sod it! That is a few cases of wine, lots more CDs/SACDs, money towards our next holiday, new pair of binoculars, whatever..." and stick a disc in the spinner and turn it up to 11...

16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I never stopped loving and playing CDs. Most CDs and all new CDs are ripped to my computer for use on my iPhone that I listen to in my car. But at home I'm mostly listening to CDs in my Arcam player. It is the most expensive piece in my setup. :winkgrin:

ispace, jeff1951, audiomixer and 6 others like this.
  17. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

25 years ago I was still playing LP's, why would I not be playing MY CD's. I think I have 7 downloads,... maybe!

18. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I did the same as you about the same time, ripped all my CDs, but I never packed them away after. I play CDs at home and the rips on the go. I never plays rips at home.

Agora Mike likes this.
  20. Never stopped playing them but then I've always owned a high quality CD player and that for me is the key. I also listen to them in the car but nowhere else.

21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Me? I love a good boxed set!

22. I could build a house out of all my CD box sets!

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I'm old school: let's get physical.

24. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Because I had to emigrate in 2004, I ripped my CDs and mostly they remain boxed up and stored away. Like many I've returned to vinyl and that started 12 years ago and this has reintroduced the notion of sitting down and listening to a whole album. I bought a new vinyl set up 4 years ago and eventually hooked up a CD player. What this has made me realise is that "it's the speakers, stupid". Having a CD player hooked up to decent speakers makes a huge difference compared to how one had gotten used to listening to CDs: In the car, on the kitchen stereo, off a discman... So yes, having bought about 2,500 CDs between 88-04, and less than 100 since then, the vinyl thing has re-thought me how to enjoy physical music, and playing CDs through a good set-up makes you realise that they're still a pretty good way to listen to music. There's a reason CDs have been around for so long...

25. It's not just "the speakers, stupid". The CD player also contributes enormously to the quality of the sound. A cheap CDP certainly does not do the same job as a pricier model.

JeffMo, basie-fan, bhazen and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.