Have you re-discovered listening to physical CDs on a physical CD player?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agora Mike, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member

It's the only way I listen to music ...... a level of playback and technology that I'm perfectly content with.
    As I get older I want less time dicking around with my system and more time listening to music and CD gives me that.

Plus, right now is like the ultimate time to be a CD buyer as everyone hates them. :thumbsup:

Agora Mike, Runicen, mikaal and 5 others like this.
  2. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

I love making my own CDs. First, you spend some time selecting songs and then another to sort them. Often tracks are fused, without spaces without music between songs. It is creative work that goes beyond mere listening.

Paulo Alm and ranasakawa like this.
  3. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Forum Resident

4. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Exactly, a far better way to listen to music.

CDs, unlike records (I refuse to use the term Vinyl), held no tactile or emotional attraction and therefore I prefer the efficiency of Flac stored on a NAS and controlled by phone/ tablet.

5. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Same here except I ripped most of my cd's to ALAC 16bit. There appears to be zero audio difference between playing a cd and streaming the file.

6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

For me there has been no need for rediscovery. I purchased my first CD player 30 years ago (March 1987) and have been spinning discs ever since; I don't intend to ditch CDs or get back to vinyl and anything involving a computer is a complete pain in the posterior compared to the simplicity and convenience offered by a CD player.

7. I never stopped too... sometimes I listen them on my smartphone but stopped after a couple of songs...

8. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

That is more or less true if your CD player and your streaming DAC are of the same quality. Because the bits are the same, it's all about the conversion quality, and if your analogue gear is able to make that difference audible.

I currently have €2000 CD player and a €25 DAC connected to my Apple TV for streaming and I can hear the difference quite easily. On lossless audio files, of course.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This is largely my story. Although I started in April 1985.:)

I do use Spotify on my iPad. It's a great way to find new albums to buy. On CD, of course.:)

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Now ya talking!!:edthumbs:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

For most purposes I can think of a music library on your computer is much more convenient than using physical media, for example when you want to listen to ten songs from ten different discs.

Lost In The Flood and Synthfreek like this.
  12. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

That's as may be, but I'm an old-fashioned one-album-at-a-time-from-the-beginning-to-the-end kind of a listener, so for my needs and purposes nothing beats the CD in conveniency.

Blank Frank, Xabby and jujuhounds like this.
  13. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Never stopped.
    Just found a Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD Player that I bought as a backup.
    Yesterday, I received Richard Barbieri's "Things Burn + Stranger Inside " CD in the mail.
    The search continues...

Squad 701 and Runicen like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never heard a ipod.
    Yet to rediscover "CD player", as mine has been active for 30 years.

Paulo Alm likes this.
  15. I have collected 78 rpms, 33 1/3 rpms, 45 rpms, and CDs, and now also SACDs, DVD-As, and Blu-ray-Audios. My office is full, the living room has a CD case, and upstairs there are further CD shelves. I do not like MP3s and would never dream of converting anything. I mainly buy classical SACDs that are multi-channel at this stage. So, I am surrounded by my collection. I rarely buy CDs anymore, as I consider the sound far, far below the quality offered on an SACD or Blu-ray-Audio. I have one hi-res download that I have put on a USB.

Xabby likes this.
  16. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I wouldn't say "rediscovered", but I still sometimes listen to CDs on a physical CD player. It's a nice time marker, especially if I'm working on stuff. I'm not interrupted every 15 minutes like with an LP, but I also don't look up to see four hours have passed like I can if I just keep a playlist running on my mp3 player/phone/computer/whatever.

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It seems like about 80% of the answers in this thread don't really adress the OP's question:
    So if you never stopped playing CDs in exchange for server based streaming, you might be in the wrong thread. I wonder (and the OP probably too) how many have actually ripped all their CDs to lossless files, set up a quality playback chain for them (streaming to a decent DAC) and still felt the wish to return to playing the actual CDs. I can't imagine very many have.

All my music (CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, Blu-rays) is ripped lossless to my NAS. I can stream it to my receiver or my Oppo 105, using a tablet for access. The only time I ever pull out a CD or other physical disc is when I want to look up something in the booklet. And that's very rarely the case.

18. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Umm I never stopped.

I have been buying more cd's than ever since everywhere I go they are sold for between 1 dollar and 4 dollars.

19. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

I've started buying CDs again since I joined this forum. Still buy vinyl too.

patient_ot and Xabby like this.
  20. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Actually I've repurposed my Technics system with a Chromecast Audio and fallen in love with it again by pairing it with Spotify.

21. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Interestingly, I've recently been downloading Hi-Res and CD quality media. BUT I've started listening to full albums again..from track one to the last track.
    I spent too many years on shuffle! :)

22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Just like my records which I dumped in the 90's and are now rebuying. I'm doing the same with some of my CD's which I dumped in the 2000's

patient_ot likes this.
  23. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

As stated earlier, I never stopped listening to CDs but what I have rediscovered (thanks to this forum) is the glorious sound of non-brickwalled CDs.

patient_ot, shaboo and Xabby like this.
  24. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I collect CD's in the same manner people used to (and might still do) collect stamps.

- Mastering info might be able to determine based on disc age/matrices
    - Rarity of physical media related to pressing plant/world area/decade (Abbey Road Black Triangle as reference for those that it matters)
    - A used CD for an older release cost 0.2-2€ if you find it locally and is "lossless" (everything is relative) whereas the same 320kbps "lossy" download might cost 1€/song depending on the service
    - Spotify (Premium) determines 320kbps as "HQ" audio, for unlimited albums per month, so again, everything is relative. I have that account too.

All music is free nowdays (Spotify free 128kbps?) so IMO the thrill with collecting CD's (and vinyl) is more related to the genuine interest towards the collectibility of the media itself, the possibility to track down preferred mastering, which leads to more music listening (and purchasing) in my case :)

The first iTunes album I purchased was "Metal Church - XI (2016)" so I'm a noob in the download only purchase area, but it felt great to support these guys officially using the iTunes sales channel.

Agora Mike likes this.
  25. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Me either - I have thousands of cds and records and tapes. So that is what I am sticking with.

patient_ot and Paulo Alm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.