Having a problem with my A/V Receiver! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeff H., Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member Thread Starter

I was watching a movie the other night and I noticed that the sound coming out of my left rear surround channel sounded fuzzy and distorted. I tried switching speakers, the speaker wire and the connection in the back. Nothing looked out of place at all. Can anyone here help me troubleshoot this before I might possibly have to take it in for repair?

2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Is this fuzziness noticeable with all inputs? Is it there with a digital input? When you switched speakers, did it change at all? Does the fuziness sound like your tuner bleeding through? Try changing the tuner to another channel and switch back to the input with the fuzz to see if it changes. Lots of stuff to try... hard to catch all of them in one post.

If it's an old receiver, it may simply be a dirty pot(entiometer), like the volume or balance control. If it is an older unit, and the noise changes when you change volume or some other audio-altering knob, like balance, bass or treble, you could open it up and spray the heck out of the offending pot with some contact cleaner. Your local Radio Shack should carry it.

Kevin

3. Jeff H.

No, it's only on the one channel I mentioned. The receiver I have, a Yamaha HTR-5660, does have digital inputs. Since my DVD player doesn't have a fiber optic connection, I'm using a Monster Cable lead to go into the back of the receiver for 5.1 surround sound.

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Is the fuzziness there when you play the radio? Any fuzziness with any of the other inputs? Try them all. If it's only the DVD/CD player using digital, try using the analog inputs to the receiver. Maybe the digital section died? Tough to debug by keyboard. :)

5. Jeff H.

I'll check that and get back to you. Thank you for all of your help Kevin.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

According to his post he is running analog input, but just 2 it sounds like, (not 6).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.