HBO Doc Going Clear and Tom Cruise

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aforchione, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wondering what people thought of the HBO doc on Scientology. I really couldn't care less about what people believe in, just thought all involved, came off as somewhat kooky, and the scenes with Cruise and Miscavige were disturbing. Cruise's career these days seems to be relegated to making science fiction/action movies that no one goes to. Are his days as a dramatic actor over?

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

He has a new Mission Impossible movie coming out- his star has fallen a bit mostly because he's getting up there-

Without violating any forum rules, I would just say that I think this material is shocking but a lot of it has been out there for a long time anyway.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I haven't seen it yet, but am interested in viewing it. I thought a lot of people still consider Cruise a viable star and still go to his movies. Do the box office receipts belie that statement? Whatever, I'm not sure Scientology has impacted his possible declining lack of popularity. Many actors/actresses trail off in popularity and box office appeal simply as they get older, esp. when the American movie industry is dominated by animation, mindless "young" action flicks (fast and furious XIII comin' up!), and worn out formula teenage comedy movies. People sometimes separate directors and movie stars from their actions (e.g., Polanski, Mel Gibson). And sometimes not (think you-know-who here).

4. That Miscavige is a scary cat. He's got that crazy look in his eyes.

Dudley Morris, somnar and audiomixer like this.
  5. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I found it a riveting documentary. One of the many weird and disturbing things is the similarities that the big "church" events have to Hitler's Nazi rallies. Spooky.

Just to be clear, I think that some folk have a longing for spiritual fulfillment, and as long as their pursuit of that fulfillment does no harm, then have at it. However, there's considerable evidence that harm has been done -- and continues to be done -- in this particular cult.

I was going to do a little rant about their tax-exempt status, but that might start to cross the limits of forum no-nos, so I'll keep it to myself.

Hawklord and audiomixer like this.
  6. I've heard a story about that too.......:shh:

7. When Miscavige was shown for the first time in the doc, at the 1986 convention, I said to my wife "In a different time and place, that guy could be Adolf Hitler."

somnar, Jamey K, audiomixer and 5 others like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Most of what they do and how they do it is pretty standard cult stuff. To which I say: Whatever, have fun.

But the thing with the taxes, where the suggestion is that in a closed door meeting between the head of the IRS and someone from Scientology they were suddenly given tax exempt status--that I care about. Sadly, no one has gone back to look reopen that...(The tax story has been around/known for years. I haven't seen the movie).

9. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Very well done documentary (from my non-participant perspective!). In Miscavige, I first saw not Hitler but Goebbels. Then when they showed him and Cruise together I thought geez these guys are trying to clone each other. Same look, same stature and build, same swagger, etc. Creepy.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  10. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I was completely hypnotized by it. I already knew a lot about the Church of Scientology and Hubbard, at least just in terms of doctrine, methodology and how mercilessly they attack anyone considered an "enemy," but the Nuremberg Rallies --- I'm sorry, meetings --- were completely terrifying. It confirmed my suspicion that the whole organization exists solely to make money and for no other reason, and getting declared a "religion" was solely so that they wouldn't have to pay taxes, but I was kind of surprised at my reaction to the main individuals. Mainly, I thought that Hubbard was "better" than Miscavige, simply because Hubbard was just a fraud, where Miscavige seems to actually believe what he's saying. True believers are always 1000 times more dangerous than people who are just liars.

drasil, RolandG, heatherly and 2 others like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm looking forward to the launch of HBO Now so I can see this. What amazed me the most when I last visited Los Angeles has how Scientology was EVERYWHERE.

I read several of Hubbard's SF books (including the entire 10 volume Mission Earth series) when I was young, and he was a terrible writer.

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Now we know who replaced Doug:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/29/scientology-doc-going-clear_n_6939318.html

11. Cruise may have had employees pimp his cars for 40 cents an hour
    Sea Org members make 40 cents an hour, according to Ortega, who says, "I don't think there's any way Tom Cruise is not aware of that." According to the film, they have "tricked out his cars and motorcycles" and hanger in Santa Monica, California, and installed the audiovisual equipment at his home.

13. Well Tom has paid probably millions into the church….I suspect he believes he is entitled to some cheap perks now.:D

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I was looking forward to seeing this, but it turns out to be yet one more thing that won't air in Canada.

15. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Xenu is keeping it from you.

Tuco, Dudley Morris, Complier and 2 others like this.
  16. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Brilliant documentary! I highly recommend watching it.

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think Cruise has been irreperably damaged by his association with Scientology, although it's difficult to quantify whether it's had an adverse effect on his box office appeal. It's probably more to do with age, and a new breed of young actor who have replaced him.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wonder how the filmmakers got a hold of the LA Sports Arena rally footage? Would have thought that would belonged to the church. Do they still have these meetings?
    The doc was disturbing & creepy, but also dated. Hubbard probably did not have dental insurance.

somnar and Tuco like this.
  19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'd like to dose him with a mega dose of LSD and make him look in the mirror.

Mark E. Moon, Dudley Morris and Tuco like this.
  20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

You do know what being clear is, don't you? :)

A couple that I've known since High School got divorced because of the hold Scientology had on them. They also went through a large wad of cash going to "audits".

Tuco likes this.
  21. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing myself. I'm guessing some of the defectors had personal copies on tape or such?

22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I added HBO to my cable plan for just a day so I could catch this, as it sounds like it will be months and months before it can be rented online (and it sounds like Vimeo will have that as an exclusive) or purchased on BD/DVD.

It was undeniably interesting and very pointed; probably by default the best documentary on the topic. I was actually surprised, having read a bunch of reviews in advance, that the documentary was actually a bit more subdued and low-key than the reviews seemed to me to imply.

I was quite surprised that they focused pretty specifically on Travolta and Cruise in terms of celebrities, and didn’t really mention any others. Obviously, a few of the interview subjects are known industry folks. They briefly flashed on Issac Hayes I believe during the big “we don’t have to pay taxes anymore” arena party.

I was also surprised they didn’t mention Leah Remini at all, either her story or the stuff with filing a missing persons report about Miscavige’s wife.

It was the interviews with the top lieutenant-type guys that were the most interesting and telling, as was the vintage footage, including that footage from British TV that included the “off the record” discussion with Hubbard.
    However unlikely, it will also be interesting to see if the IRS gets enough backlash from people finding out about the background of that deal in 1993 that they might reconsider that decision.

I hope the eventual Blu-ray release includes a lot of bonus material. There has to be more interesting stuff.

Tuco likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That "deal" has been pretty widely known since around the time it happened. And yet, nothing has ever happened. Perhaps the same type of "information" that influenced that "deal" is also available for others who might otherwise consider overturning it?

24. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

His jazz wasn't much better
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.