HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I'm usually up for dark dramas; especially when it concerns the very rich.

However, this show, lightly based on the Murdock empire, is a hard & dreary watch; a bunch of spoiled and dysfunctional characters that have no redeeming value as human beings.

I watched 2 episodes of the inner family bickering & just couldn't take it anymore.

Anybody else?

2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Haven't seen it but looks interesting.

3. I watched 2 episodes but not sure if I will stick with it. I dislike every major character and can't see spending any more time with them. Just an awful, dysfunctional family with very little humor to relieve the pain. Good acting and direction all around, but to what purpose?

Chris DeVoe and audiomixer like this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I watched and more or less enjoyed the 1st episode. Haven't checked out #2 yet. FWIW, the show is designed as a satire, at least partially. I'm in for at least a few more.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Not dazzled by first episode. Will give it another chance but not optimistic

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That’s how the preview looked so I’ve stayed away. The review in my local paper said the same as you.

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m out after 2 episodes.

alexpop and audiomixer like this.
  8. audiomixer

These people are so unlikeable.
    All of them!

The Fragile Mollusk and Scowl like this.
  9. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Poorly cast. Poorly directed.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I couldn’t get into Trust on FX either. Similar show, very unlikable people.

vince likes this.
  11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I like it,
    I dont need a white hat character to cheer for, though I believe that is Kendall, a man being pulled in several directions.
    Very interesting end to the 3rd episode with Kendall's buddy and Logan's rival sharing a park bench.

Loved Alan Ruck (Conner) claiming to be a UN peacekeeper when not choosing sides between the siblings.
    When he does take a side and got called on it, retorted: "Well sometimes the peacekeeper needs to go out and shoot a maniac on the perimeter."
    I thought that was funny.

One thing that does bother me is that funky thing they do with the camera, tightening up the shot on whoever is in the frame. I dont quite get why they continuously do that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    arley and smilin ed like this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Same old, same old. Dysfunctional family with nasty patriarch. None of the characters attract any sympathy. Lots of nasty language for the sake of nasty language (which I consider lazy writing). Most of HBO original series are good or very good, but this one is just boring. We have gotten through the first three episodes, and about to give up. The last scene w Jeremy was intriguing enough that we may give it one more try. Interestingly it was already picked up for a second season.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. It's like Arrested Development with no laughs.

Derek Slazenger and 93curr like this.
  14. Culkin's character is just awful in every way. One would hope some nuance eventually appears. Otherwise, you don't care if he lives or dies (and prefer that he dies).

This show was way better when it was called Dirty Sexy Money.

Myke and dmiller458 like this.
  15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

In episode one, I thought they were going to vote Greg CEO as a puppet before he got back from his gofer run.

But more importantly, I keep waiting for those guys' b@!!$ to drop. I was hoping that Kendall was going to smack the chit out of his old man at the end of that last episode. How could they have Logan as a role model and be such wimps?

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"Black hat" characters are more interesting IMO. And Conner's just a manipulative as the rest of them. Maybe more so.

17. audiomixer

Trust, at least, has more of a storyline with better scenery.

18. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

I gave up after two episodes even after re-watching Ep1 to give it another shot. There are zero appealing characters and nothing remotely entertaining about the writing. It doesn't work as a drama, dramedy or a satire.

audiomixer likes this.
  19. audiomixer

:agree:

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

IMHO - terrible, destined for one season only.

21. audiomixer

Sad thing is that it already has been picked up for a second season! :yikes:

22. Seriously? That is just wrong. They punt on a second season of family Tree but green light this crap?:realmad:

23. audiomixer

Yep

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I think HBO is looking for their next Sopranos, and has a lot invested in this show. Don't see how it is going to get much better. Unsympathetic characters, and over done story line.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

unbelievable.

HBO, while still my favorite pay network, has sure put out a few clunkers lately.

audiomixer likes this.