HD "HI-FI Vinyl Will Soon Be A Reality 3D Printing Technology

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It is analogue.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Let the mind close itself in.

sunspot42 and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This technology doesn't represent a format. It's something to be used in the process of creating the final format, which is an LP. An LP will always be analogue no matter what source was used to cut it.

anorak2 and sunspot42 like this.
  4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

(Cutting)Lasers are neither inherently digital nor analog. The technology can be controlled either way.

vwestlife likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

It can only be cut from a digital source though.

6. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Wait a moment and I shall perform the ancient ritual of summoning an engineer.

Ahem, “THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY TO DO THIS!” *Places five Starbucks Doubleshot Espressos within a circle of whiteboard markers* “I’LL JUST CONSULT YOUTUBE. THE FIRST RESULT IS ALWAYS THE BEST ONE”.
    [​IMG]
    Somebody more qualified than I will be here soon to build an analog laser control.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am quite interested to see if this actually works. Someone recently wrote that laser bandwidth was not narrow enough to create the necessary deviations in the vinyl to produce the full response possible from a normal vinyl record.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That could be a problem. I don't know about "bandwidth", but can you get a laser that's capable of etching the minute wiggles needed to create a vinyl record into the steel plate or whatever you're going to be stamping the record from? That's gonna be tricky, especially since melting a material like that is going to cause irregularities. Heck, just getting the laser to pass cleanly thru the little blast cloud it creates is going to create irregularities.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Im sure they have thought of this.

11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Pretty sure about that too !

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

IIRC, they said they've already experimented on smaller pieces of material so they know they can do it at least on those smaller pieces.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm sure they've "thought" of it, but can they successfully cut something as accurate as the traditional wax etching? Haven't seen any indication they've been successful by that measure.

14. Leonthepro

Well just to be clear, you do know that they are not actually cutting grooves, but ridges rather, which makes things much simpler.

But we make digital devices with millions of individual parts, just nanometers in size, so I think its possible given the right technique.

And even though I might not have the answer to how right now, Im not really worried. Its not like I have anything to lose. If it sounds good is the important question for me, and we will find out soon enough.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Those aren't done with lasers, though. That was photo-lithography and kinda two-dimensional. But now I think the parts are so small they use electrons or something - haven't really kept up with chip fabrication for 15 years.

I wonder if they could use a holographic technology and photo-reactive plastics to make a 3-D mold of a record? I could see that potentially working...

16. kestrel452

kestrel452 Active Member

Not only will "HD Vinyl" make records sound far better, it'll make them cheaper to produce... Kind of a win-win if you ask me. Even if vinyl as a whole doesn't skyrocket in popularity, I'd imagine the new pressing process would take over the existing vinyl market.

17. Leonthepro

Someones optimistic ;^)

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow - you really got stuck into that Kool Aid.

Robert C and sunspot42 like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They didn't say that they did a complete record, only that they tried it on a smaller piece of material to see if it could be done at all and that it was successful on that small scale. They said by this autumn they'd have their first full cut record but they're probably being too optimistic, especially as I don't think they had all the financing in place.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They're only changing the cutting process and not the pressing process. These new records will still be pressed in the traditional way. The technology they have doesn't impact the presses only the cutting.

Also, at first they won't be able to cut that many per year either, according to them, and it will actually be more expensive than traditional methods (at first). I believe they said that in the interviews available online.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If they didn't cut an actual record, how can they test how good a job they did?

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Until you and I have some of these records (which aren't available yet) of material available conventionally, don't be so sure of it. For me it is very simple. The proof is in the listening. If it sounds better, it is better. And I have my doubts until I have actual samples in my hands (and not engineering prototypes). Meaning I went and picked out one, plunked down my money, and took it home and lived with listening to one over time.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I imagine, like most people they used a combination of their eyes and a microscope. They haven't pressed a record yet so there's nothing to test in that regard. I imagine, once they get to that point, if ever, they'll test the record too by playing it.

24. Leonthepro

Its the initial building and establishing thsts expensive because it takes time. The method is cheaper because they can cut much harder material and make many more records, I believe 10x as many from one stamper.

25. Leonthepro

Like in any field of testing you take a sample to see how it works. A record is not too advanced to work out with the right equipment and knowledge. Its just a waveform on a disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.