HD "HI-FI Vinyl Will Soon Be A Reality 3D Printing Technology

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes that would be a huge advantage vs current stamper life span if this works if it works and the price can be kept low otherwise, you're saving in one area and spending in the other and you haven't saved much of anything.

IMO though, this will probably, largely be used to make a new product line rather than it becoming standard.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How could you gauge the accuracy of the cut just by looking at it with a microscope? (Answer - you can't. At least not without developing some hideously expensive software to compare it visually to an identical etching made by a traditional lathe for a vinyl master).

Yes, and to properly test it you'd have to create a disc and compare it to both the original input signal as well as a disc cut by a traditional lathe.

Just, "I used a laser to etch some crap into some crap and it worked" doesn't demonstrate anything. We've had laser etching for years.

3. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Update from Twitter:

Take a look at the very first tests with “Molly”, our high precision laser cutting a simple test pattern into a ceramic plate. Recently we started experimenting with actual music content and we are absolutely excited about the quality we were able to achieve right away. HD Vinyl on Twitter

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ve already got a SACD player :cheers:

5. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

You'd have to be on Molly to think that's a viable production method. Looks like it's going to take longer than the music's playing time to cut one record. For one-offs and small batches, maybe this method can replace lathe-cut records. But no way is it going to replace conventional record pressing anytime soon.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Its not cutting the records, its cutting the mother to stamp from.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm less concerned about the time. For all I care it could take hours to make the disc. Production can be increased by adding machines. The fact that a laser is etching a plate of ceramic is of no consequence. They need to 3D scan the plate and overlay the scan over the generated model that is telling the laser what to do. This will tell you how good the controls are. We are two years into the development of this tech. I haven't seen anything in over a year. This is underwhelming information.

sunspot42 and JediJoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.