Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 11**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just noticed that a number of Whitesnake releases (EP through Saints & Sinners, plus the two live releases) are available in 96/24 on quobuz. Not on HD Tracks or Pro Studio Masters or Pono that I could find. Anyone here have any of these and able to comment? The numbers I've seen suggest there is some compression, but I don't know how much and how it affects the sound.

3. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

To the people who said: "You are just hearing what you want to hear" and "Do you have the 2011 CD's of Paul Simon".

Number one, I (and quite a few others I am sure) am tired of the snobbish attitudes of some of you folk. I have been an audiophile and avid music listener for nearly 50 years and I am quite aware of when music sounds better to me, and why - I am not imagining it. All of our ears are different and mine are no better or no worse than your's, but the music sounds greatly improved to me - so stop the snobbish attitude! Go play with your fancy graphs, etc. Many people on this forum will ALWAYS bash a remaster, SACD, DVD-Audio or Hi-Rez file. Have you ever considered that maybe YOU are hearing what you want to hear? Or NOT hearing what you want to hear, possibly.

Number two: I ALWAYS compare CD's when I get a remaster or new Hi-Rez download, if for nothing else than to see what any differences are, but I don't endlessly do each comparison and do wave-form analyzing, etc.. I have the 2011 remasters and the new Hi-Res files sound GREAT to me - not just good - more sound-stage, better and tighter bass and greater detail, compared to any of the other Paul Simon releases I have. Sorry, but I don't have the time to do endless comparisons - I would rather spend my time actually listening, thank you. Out.

J. R.

Lonevej, mindblanking, hurple and 6 others like this.
  4. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Your post in part 10 re: the 192/24 releases. Do you have any of them? I really want to know if these are different masters from what is available elsewhere or are they just upsampled 44/24 versions?

StevenC likes this.
  5. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

All of the ones I purchased are 96/24

6. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Dear Lord. Save it.

Snobbish? Surely you jest.

I am a hi rez afficionado just like you. But I am realistic and HONEST about the differences to the corresponding CD..if there is one.

Many times there is a very easy to discern difference, other times...NOT really. And if there is NOT a difference that is easy to hear that is what I report.

I have over 2000 24 bit and DSD albums, several hundred SACDS, and 6000 CDs accumulated over 25 years, I think have a damn good sampling. That is also a SIGNIFICANT investment in time and money. So don't get huffy.

So I really don't think you understood my post.

7. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Could we get to the part where someone posts a current HDTracks coupon code?

8. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

www.findhdmusic.com

Dino likes this.
  9. David Howard

David Howard Forum Resident

I suspect it has to do with territorial rights. In the US, Whitesnake's back catalog was on Geffen, but overseas I believe it's managed by EMI. EMI did some great expanded reissues around 2007. This is one of the first times I've seen us in the US locked out from getting a hi-res release.

I would pick up all of these if they were available here.

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Guys - BE GOOD. We are certainly going to have difference of opinion, but let's be a bit more civil or take it to PM messages.

Starwanderer, tgdinamo and Jerry like this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

15% off at prostudiomasters.com with code EXCITE exp 3/30

12. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Well, I actually went and grabbed some of the Lou Reeds. I used the 15% off on Transformer and Lou Reed and then at Pono, they had Rock N Roll Animal for $9, and Sally and Coney for $12.99 so I figured why not! I listened to the samples of each and compared these to both the original RCA's and the 2006 Japanese Remasters and yes, the RCA's are a tad quieter...sorry, more dynamic :D but overall I think what I have heard of the new remasters is really nice. My quick analysis is that they do have a much more solid low end which could be the result of a new eq'ing or as it was with the first 3 Zep remaster that Lou and the mastering engineer were allowed to not have to filter those frequencies out since the limitations of vinyl were not an issue anymore. I also think the the new remasters are a touch more dimensional and wider than the originals, and whatever they did to EQ Transformer, the guitar at the beginning of "Viscous" is not as biting and annoying as before.

I guess this is my way of saying that these do not SOUND squashed or heavily limited to me.

Also did you guys know that there are now two HD Tracks News Threads??? Parts 10 and 11 co-exist at the same time...so I posted in both just to be safe. Gorts ??? Gorts?

Lonevej, TeddyB and Stone Turntable like this.
  13. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Whoa. Both are open - it's like some weird planetary alignment thing. Time to buy a lottery ticket!
    Wrong thread, but what Rush album's next on the list?

14. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

A Farewell To Kings, in April!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  15. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

HDMARCH23 for 15% off 'new releases' & 'audiophile picks' through the 29th...

Starwanderer likes this.
  16. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

17. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

They're compressed to a level which means not many here will appreciate them.

18. Patrick Cleasby

They're listed on UK HDTracks as Rhino titles. I got mine from Qobuz which says the same. I guess they're in the bit of EMI which Warner now has...

19. Patrick Cleasby

PS. There's a bunch of 'Rhino' Hawkwind 24/96 just gone up at Qobuz which will be in the same ex-EMI case.

jlc76 likes this.
  20. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Thank you, time to check out a couple of the new Rush remasters!

chrischerm likes this.
  21. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

This is weird that there were parts 10 and 11 running at the same time.

chrischerm likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Oops where were we, qobuz does have the ZZ Top 24/96, listed as 2013

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Yeah, funny thing is I know in my searches I didn't see those pop up until recently. You're right about Pono single tracks. Too bad that's no longer an option. Although Pono does state that if you buy something from them, you can upgrade your files if a better version becomes available. So if someone bought the lower res album, they can go get the 96/24 or 192/24 version. They have also updated the ZZ Top Complete Studio albums collection to include the 192/24 version, whereas it used to be 48/24.

24. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I noticed that too. Actually, I found that to be true throughout that song.

25. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Pono still offers 1 track buy it just isn't available on all titles. It was available on the Lou Reed tracks that were shorter than 10 minutes that I was looking at this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.