Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 11**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Specials HD Tracks and is willing to give an opinion? Thanks.

2. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

This bothers me on a number of levels:
    LEVEL 1 - I was happy enough with the previous HDTracks VH stuff. Now they re-release it.
    LEVEL 2 - If this is a mistake, it's inexcusable. These HD DL's are wayyy to expensive for the customer to be a victim. If it's a marketing test, it's equally it's inexcusable to use the customer as a test subject at those prices.
    LEVEL 3 - If it's intentional, that's disturbing because the info was not revealed. DR's should be posted on these sites. The buyer should know what they're getting.
    LEVEL 4 - If it's intentional, and ultimately revealed...that's the most disturbing scenario of all. I'm a 24/96 guy. For numerous reasons (cost - storage space - file size). As a musician who's done a lot of recording, I'm convinced sampling rates above 96khz are in the dog-hearing league. Anyways... To think we may intentionally be finding ourselves strong-armed into buying the larger (IE: more co$tly) files is beyond unfathomable.
    But we're dealing with the record companies here - so nothing would surprise me. :rolleyes:

Dino and BGLeduc like this.
  3. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Anyone here have a good rapport with HD tracks who can get a an answer from them beyond the usual "this is what the label gave us?"

Do they even watch threads like this and care what THEIR customers think? I often wonder...

4. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

I wonder in the 24/192 are the old files.

5. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

It's not on HD Tracks, only on HRD and Qobuz. Weird because you are correct, HDT usually has a good selection of ECM titles. Not this one, however, at least not yet.

It's a great album.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  6. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

I recently wrote to highresaudio.com, telling them that I would feel more comfortable buying from them if they offered more information on the recording, like for example the name of the mastering engineer or the DR-values. Guess what they answered: DR-values are overrated as an indicator of the quality of an audio file and I should just trust in their excellent quality control.

I declare, sometimes I feel I am not a customer but some beggar who should be greatful that these people are willing to take my shabby money a-tall.

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You could download the audio samples and analyze the waveforms for clipping, if you're ever unsure what the DR is like.

8. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I'm so utterly confused by this thread. So we have new versions of the Van Halen albums that are different from 2013 but there is even a difference between the 96/24 mastering and the 192/24 mastering? Is that what I'm reading? How does the 2015 192/24 compare to the 2013 192/24 Just curious.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Correct, sir!

Mij says the "2015" 192/24 is less harsh in the high end with a bit more bass compared to the "2013" release.

Mij Retrac and mindblanking like this.
  10. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I agree with that as well.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  11. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Agreed. I'm really enjoying the 192/24 version of the 2015 remasters. They are not slammed like the 96/24 version but the EQ is not as anemic as the 2013 HD releases.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  12. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Wow so you guys are telling me I have to buy Van Halen again?

Panama Jack and Chauncey like this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

It boggles the mind the 2015 VH 96 and 192 offerings could be different...this is absurd.

Fritz G23, xj32, rbbert and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

As others have said I think it's a mistake by Chris Bellman or whoever sent the files to HDtracks from Grundman Mastering. I think that they sent over the cd/Mastered For iTunes file over instead of the one identical to the 24/192.

Chauncey and Panama Jack like this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

That is just nuts!!!!!

Can anyone post any waveforms???

16. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Yes!

17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds has Alan Parsons Project - The Turn Of A Friendly Card available as a DSD download. I haven't seen or heard of this before.

They also have a sitewide 10% off downloads proomo code: SITEWIDE

18. ServingTheMusic

10%? Yippee. They better get with the program.

19. ServingTheMusic

Stupid glitch on the HDT site. Can't sign in. No matter how many times I tried I get a screen saying "Incorrect Captcha".

Did Jay Z hack them?

cgoodwin22 likes this.
  20. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Even though I have no interest in Van Halen anything, I applaud the members in this thread who have uncovered this issue.
    This isn't the first and it won't be the last time that we owe you.
    You are doing a great job of keeping things as honest and factual as can be.
    Thank you.

21. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Is this a simply a guess..?

22. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yes, hence the words "I think".

Stallings, xj32 and Panama Jack like this.
  23. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

24. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Wow, this is a first (re: VH 192/24 vs 96/24 SQ debacle). Why didn't HDTracks inform customers?

The stance that HDTracks simply puts out what the label gives them doesn't hold water in this instance. Folks should have received fair warning prior to buying the 96/24 if there was an unbrickwalled version available.

It makes me think HDTracks doesn't give a **** about us hires customers. Just put it out on the racks and let the customers sort it out...

rockclassics likes this.
  25. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

What makes you think HDTracks knew there was anything to warn people about? They, like us, would assume that the 96 and 192 versions were the same mastering. I don't think they have people that sit around doing DR comparisons or even critical listening to make sure there are no differences.

No conspiracy, just putting out what the label gives them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.