HDTracks News (part 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, does that mean they actually found the two-track masters for the first three albums? They were assumed for -- for decades! -- to be lost, which is why the reissues from a decade ago were of new mixes from the original work parts by Vic Anesini.

2. Downloading the S&G (in chronological order) as we speak. Only Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. is done so far.

The new version seems to be slightly compressed compared to the 2001 release, but not critically so:

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Simon & Garfunkel / Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR10      -0.79 dB   -12.76 dB      2:50 01-You Can Tell The World
    DR10      -1.94 dB   -14.14 dB      2:14 02-Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
    DR9       -1.12 dB   -13.01 dB      2:48 03-Bleecker Street
    DR11      -0.13 dB   -14.87 dB      2:51 04-Sparrow
    DR9       -1.80 dB   -14.94 dB      2:42 05-Benedictus
    DR11      -0.58 dB   -15.07 dB      3:09 06-The Sounds of Silence
    DR9       -1.42 dB   -13.16 dB      2:53 07-He Was My Brother
    DR10      -2.09 dB   -13.83 dB      2:29 08-Peggy-O
    DR9       -0.65 dB   -11.97 dB      2:09 09-Go Tell It on the Mountain
    DR10      -1.71 dB   -14.77 dB      2:52 10-The Sun Is Burning
    DR11      -0.29 dB   -13.98 dB      2:55 11-The Times They Are A-Changin'
    DR10      -1.50 dB   -14.00 dB      2:13 12-Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.

Number of tracks:  12
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:        192000 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   24
    Bitrate:           5399 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================

versus

Code:
    Analyzed: Simon & Garfunkel / Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. (2001 Remix)

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR12      -0.10 dB   -12.98 dB      2:49 01-You Can Tell The World
    DR11      -0.13 dB   -13.31 dB      2:13 02-Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -12.62 dB      2:47 03-Bleecker Street
    DR12      -0.10 dB   -15.07 dB      2:51 04-Sparrow
    DR10      -0.10 dB   -14.61 dB      2:42 05-Benedictus
    DR12      -0.10 dB   -15.17 dB      3:09 06-The Sound Of Silence
    DR10      -1.02 dB   -13.93 dB      2:53 07-He Was My Brother
    DR11      -0.86 dB   -15.00 dB      2:29 08-Peggy-O
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -12.83 dB      2:09 09-Go Tell It On The Mountain
    DR11      -0.10 dB   -14.29 dB      2:50 10-The Sun Is Burning
    DR12      -0.10 dB   -15.84 dB      2:55 11-The Times They Are A-Changin'
    DR12      -0.17 dB   -14.52 dB      2:24 12-Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.

Number of tracks:  12
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           691 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================
    How does it sound? Wonderful! Warm (the bass seems more prominent this time around), detailed, and transparent -- maybe too transparent, as, on this early recording, there was more than a bit of vocal overload on some tracks. But the acoustic version of The Sounds of Silence is enough to give me goosebumps...and He Was My Brother, which follows, is every bit as stunning. If the rest of these albums are as good as this, it will have been a $125 (- 15%) well-spent!

Mij Retrac and Starwanderer like this.
  3. Rip van Radio

Rip van Radio Forum Resident

I have bought all 6 of the S&G albums and I can confirm that they are the best I have ever heard these recordings. In my view, they are value for money, despite the fact that I have bought them 3 times already. As for 96/24, well I just couldn't wait!

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Does anyone have 'Sounds of Silence'? :wave:

5. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I agree about Bridge Over Troubled Waters - fantastic! I also bought Live in Central Park (maybe my favorite live album when I was in HS) and it sounds awesome - listened only half way through so far on my way to work this morning but I can say without doubt this is a must buy.

supermd and mindblanking like this.
  6. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Bryan Adams - Reckless is absolutely phenomenal! Listened to it this morning - demo quality SQ and one of the best rock albums ever (used to have this CD but I forgot how many great songs are on it and they sound better then ever).

Mij Retrac and ponkine like this.
  7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

They are claiming first generation "analog sources"...it is possible they are safety copies...but no remixes.

8. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

By chance do you have anything to compare it to? Like the MasterSound Gold CD?

9. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I don't but personally I'll take well remastered hi Rez over non hi Rez audiophile discs almost every time.

10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

If this works, they will drop the 24/192 versions at $25, and only offer 24/384 from now on for $50.

c-eling likes this.
  11. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

What about in this situation? I posted this on the actual box set thread, but

What would you do if presented with these 2 options ?

Option 1: Buy the 5 core albums from HD-Tracks with a 15% discount for a total of $106.25 The Pros = its 24/192 and from all reviews sounds amazing / The cons = the price

Option 2: But the box set from Barnes and Noble with this weekend's 30% off coupon for a total of $55.99 The Pros = its pretty much everything and you get a lot more albums / The cons = its not 24/192...its only 16 bit.

What would you do???

Is the sound quality in 24/192 THAT much better for fewer albums and double the cost?

12. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

My opinion? Absolutely. If I hear more "stuff" and I like how that extra "stuff" sounds and it makes the overall listening experience even more enjoyable for me then yes. Part of why I've moved to a DAC as my main source is that it allows me to rip music to my hard drive or download and then sell off cds I own or come across and use that money to upgrade my collection and my system. My music is all on a separate hard drive and backed up using crashplan. It's really helped me to be able to expand my collection and get the stuff I want without feeling like I'm blowing money that could be used to travel or whatever.

tgdinamo likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Is the discount automatic or is a code required?

14. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

e-mail coupon

15. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Sister Sledge The Studio Album Collection: 1975 - 1985 ???

Had no idea "We are Family" was available in 192/24.

Any good?

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

From HDTracks:

"Notes:Tracks 57-75 are 44k recordings mastered to 192/24"

17. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

We are Family are tracks 22-29.

18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

So you only listen in stereo? That seems a bit extreme. Say on something like Rubber Soul, you really prefer the stereo version?

19. ServingTheMusic

Absolutely. Extreme? That is quite a statement.

Mono is a total fabrication, it does not exist in anywhere in the universe of live music. I have open mindedly compared mono and stereo mixes of every major rock recordings
    from the 60s, and the mono is distant second every time.

20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Almost every live rock performance is presented in mono. The only thing that is stereo is the reverberation through the hall, arena etc and the crowd. If you sit in the sweet spot while listening to your home stereo I can't comprehend liking the early Beatles albums in stereo over the mono. It is almost like you are listening to two separate recordings.

21. ServingTheMusic

Really? I don't think so, on both counts. I know many of the soundmen here who work the clubs and they mix in stereo unless asked not to.

22. ServingTheMusic

Not to mention live acoustic events are not and never will be in mono unless you are deaf in one ear.

23. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Indeed. And in a smaller club, if you are near the stage you would be getting a stereo image from the setup of amps, drums and the different monitors and speakers.

24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

EVERY show in a venue that holds more than say a 1000 people mix in mono. If they didn't one side of the audience would hear one thing well and not the other and vice versa.

25. ServingTheMusic

Yep..I am often amazed when posters make up facts and post them as reality, coming off as pseudo authorities.

As far as mono recordings, that is a matter of taste, but IMO they are an artifact of an era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.