HDTracks News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robertawillisjr, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for the alert. The samples sound very good and the mastering information very promising. I might get the entire set.

2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Use 'eaglescustomer20' for 20% this set.

3. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

They are as dynamic as I have ever heard them digitally. They sound very good from what I have had a chance to listen to so far!!!

4. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I will be buying this and using that code. I received that code as well in an email. Per the email, that code is for customers who have purchased 'Hotel California' previously in order for those customers to be compensated for what they previously have paid. Which is something I certainly appreciate. Plus, it seems the new version of 'Hotel California' is dynamic, which is nice (see post below).

That being said, I **suspect** the code won't work for customers who have not purchase 'Hotel California' from HD Tracks previously.

5. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Great to know!!!

On another forum, someone posted the DR meter on the entire set and it was DR 11. IMO, this is pretty good as far as numbers go. I have some great sounding downloads and MOFI SACDs, (etc.) which are DR 11 or so.

Per these numbers, the new box set version of 'Hotel California' is more dynamic than the previous HD Tracks version (comparison below):

****HD Tracks Previous 24/192 version (downloaded early 2012)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Eagles / Hotel California
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.94 dB 6:31 01-Hotel California
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.30 dB 5:04 02-New Kid In Town
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.85 dB 4:46 03-Life In The Fast Lane
    DR10 0.00 dB -13.67 dB 4:55 04-Wasted Time
    DR11 -0.79 dB -17.14 dB 1:24 05-Wasted Time: Reprise
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.46 dB 4:10 06-Victim Of Love
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.91 dB 3:59 07-Pretty Maids All In A Row
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.06 dB 5:10 08-Try And Love Again
    DR9 0.00 dB -13.35 dB 7:32 09-The Last Resort

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 5022 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

----------------------------------------------------
    **** NEW 2013 HD Tracks Box Set Version (24/192)****

DR12 over -15.26 dB 01-Hotel California.aif
    DR11 over -14.37 dB 02-New Kid In Town.aif
    DR11 over -13.44 dB 03-Life In The Fast Lane.aif
    DR12 over -15.56 dB 04-Wasted Time.aif
    DR11 -2.30 dB -18.35 dB 05-Wasted Time (Reprise).aif
    DR11 over -13.09 dB 06-Victim Of Love.aif
    DR14 over -17.65 dB 07-Pretty Maids All In A Row.aif
    DR10 over -12.71 dB 08-Try And Love Again.aif
    DR11 over -14.70 dB 09-The Last Resort.aif

DR average for these tracks: 11.4

6. Mij Retrac

It will work I used it.

7. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Anyone else have an opinion on the sound quality of The Eagles Boxed Set?

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes. I'm very happy with it so far. It has most of the virtues I'd expect from a hi-res recording, those being fast full bass, good dimensionality with plenty of air around instruments, soft and delicate but detailed high end and its fairly dynamic.

Included is Hotel California, which I already had at 192k, I haven't yet taken the time to compare the two different versions but from memory the eq seems slightly different but the latest version in this set sound very good, most likely better than what I had.

I can't be complety sure where my original HC came from, though I thought it came from HDTracks. That said, it's at a consdierably lower bit rate though both versions are 192k-24b. I'm not sure what that is about, but I will do some comparisions when i get back home.

The bottom line is I'm very happy with each and every one of these albums, specifically the first one. I had forgotten how much I listened to this back in 72, In fact I had copped most of the guitar licks, which is generally something I didn't not do. I usually played along with the records but came up with my own parts. On this record I was able to play along and was so close that I only heard myself when I made a mistake, which was freuently of course. My two guitars even sounded the part, one being a Guild D-25 and the other an old Gibson Melody Maker with humbuckers on it. I played the guitar through my Akai feld recorder which had built in speakers on the side with little doors to cover them, but I'm drifting off point. My point was that I was very very familiar with this record, though I'd forgotten that until I played it the other night. I can safely say that I've never heard it sound as good as it does on this download.

As for the others, I didn't have that intimate attachment, but they also sounded as good as I ever remember hearing them. I realize some are not big Eagle fans and conseuently may pass on this set. I wasn't a huge Eagle fan but did do sound for them in the mid 70s and saw them in 72 , so it's a natural that I'd purchase this set. I have zero regrets and in fact will take a chance the next time they put out a 'set' like this with other artists I like.

SammyU, mindblanking and Mij Retrac like this.
  9. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Thanks Doug for an EXCELLENT review! Really appreciate it.

10. MemoInPR

MemoInPR SeƱor Memo

This week releases:
    1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley
    2. Rod Stewart - Time (Deluxe)
    3. Prince - Controversy
    4. Van Halen - Van Halen II
    5. Van Halen - Women And Children First
    6. Steve Jablonsky - Pain & Gain
    7. James Cotton - Cotton Mouth Man
    8. Yes - Big Generator
    9. Joshua Redman - Walking Shadows
    10. The Monkees - Changes
    11. Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
    12. Emily Bear - Diversity
    13. Patty Griffin - American Kid
    14. Grant Green - Street Of Dreams
    15. Dailey and Vincent - Brothers Of The Highway
    16. XY Unlimited - Omega

HumanMedia likes this.
  11. Mij Retrac

Several things I want on this. I hope controversy is an improvement over the CD. 1999 sure wasn't.

12. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Big Generator! I only have The Yes Album so far...anybody know details about how BG was recorded & mixed? All digital?

13. mark7

mark7 Guest

I bought Hotel California thinking it might be right up there with DCC in terms of sound quality, but I was disappointed and I deleted the files. This new version of HC, while slightly less compressed than the previous version on HDtracks, still sounded too much in-your-face and not very dynamic to me. And the boomy bass is still there. I think it can't hope to touch the DCC, or the original WG Target CD, despite the higher resolution. Was expecting quite a bit more from someone of Bernie Grundman's caliber to be honest.

14. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Just to be clear, HDtracks doesn't say that it was Bernie Grundman that mastered these just that they were transferred from tape and remastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. Mij Retrac

Boomy??? This is far from boomy. It is some of the most accurate bass I have heard in a while and if there was any less bass I would be complaining it needed more! The dynamics on the new version are very, very close to ANY other version available. Any more dynamic and I don't think I could listen to it on anything but my home stereo!! If you go by DR ratings the most dynamic track is within 2 db of the most dynamic one available and the least dynamic is within 1db of the most dynamic version out there. It is almost identical to the DCC version on this scale also. Maybe you just aren't a fan of the EQ on this but I think it sounds awesome and I agree completely with Doug's assessment.

16. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Can someone who has both verify if these are the same digital transfer? Or do an EQ comparison to see if there's a difference?

17. Mij Retrac

If you are referring to the DCC and the new HDtracks I doubt they are unless the DCC was transferred from the original master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

18. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

No I meant the original HDTracks and the new one.

19. Mij Retrac

I'm not sure why they would be different, they are the same box set that came out on the same day. The thing I find weird is why the CD version is so much cheaper than even the iTunes version.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

read post #629

Mij Retrac likes this.
  21. Mij Retrac

Strike that. Realized my mistake after I could delete it.

22. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything about the converter used for the HDTracks Eagles studio set?

23. HumanMedia

HumanMedia Forum Resident

"JCF Audio Latte A/D converter"
    Any good?

BTW How much digital clipping in these files?

24. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I don't know, maybe one of the sound pros can chime in.

25. mark7

mark7 Guest

Yes, I misread it, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.