HDTracks News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robertawillisjr, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

@valvehead is 100% right. They record industry killing themselves with crap like this. I WANT to purchase Prince 1999, but if the "Paypal" trick no longer works then they have just cost themselves a sale. Let me get this straight, I can buy a US CD via Amazon and have it sent here to Aus just fine, but I can't purchase a HDtracks download because I live in Aus (ohh no, you're so evil). I'll join up with valve and get what I want via other pirate-style means.

@Grant, so it's all about control. How is lost sales actually a good thing for the record companies. They are turning legit consumers into pirates with their backwards thinking. Dear record companies, forget borders you clowns, those days are OVER.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I guess you're right. I admit I didn't read his post closely...

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover Thread Starter

Heck, I can't download many files from the UK, Europe or Japan. It has nothing to do with HDTracks.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No, but he's right that it encourages the use of piracy if that's the only way to get the music, certainly not in the music industry's best interests.

Grant likes this.
  5. palazzo

palazzo Member

Except some albums can be bought - I (and a friend in Japan) have recently been allowed to buy some Yes and Joni Mitchell albums but not others, with seemingly no logic involved.

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Same record label issuing all of those albums? Could be different companies have imposed different limitations on the territories HDTracks can sell them.

7. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Hmm, the PayPal trick still works for me, I did manage to pay for Prince 1999. So I partially take back what I wrote. It seems hit n' miss if you can or if you can't.

8. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

That 24/96 "Bitches Brew" continues to impress me. Very nice.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

My theory is that the restrictions are related to copyright only.

If you want to sell music downloads, it's not enough to have a contract with the label and/or artist. You need an agreement with the local royalty collecting society (representing composers) in every country you want to sell. It took iTunes years to be able to open a store in every EU country. And every citizen is only allowed to buy in his "local" iTunes store, not the one from a neighbour country.

That's most likely the reason why HDtracks only sells to US residents. Of course they don't mind making profits from sales to non-US residents, as long as it doesn't lead to problems for them. It's the same for the music rightholders. Where the downloads from abroad are blocked more effectively (IP address check) it is probably because the label requested it, as they granted licenses to other download stores in other countries. They need to make sure those exclusive territorial contracts are reasonably enforced. That's the "control" aspect, which has always existed with movies (region codes) but not so much with music sales, although the legal situation is the same for both.

So even if HDtracks had the OK from the label to sell an album worldwide, it would not be able to do it without complex and costly local agreements abroad.

Engelsstaub likes this.
  11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Does anyone know (read from a reliable source, or heard) which mix it is? It would be huge if it was the original mix, for which there are not many good sounding digital option that are easy to get.

12. DreadPikathulhu

It's the original mix. Members at the Computer Audiophile forum have commented on several key passages that point to the original mix. No official confirmation, but that would be expecting too much from Sony.

User jazzy1 "..Yes. You can tell based on the presence of an echo on Miles' trumpet on Pharaoh's Dance, in a sequence that starts at about the 8:30 mark. There may be other clues but that is the obvious one that I know about.

The remix does not have the echo effect in that sequence. I guess they either missed it or could not replicate to their satisfaction. They didn't have Teo Macero's equipment that was used for some of the effects..."

Claude likes this.
  13. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

Downloading VH at 192/24. I will report back with what I think on SQ.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  14. rodney sherman

Looks like this download will show up as Studio Albums 1978-1984 after it is added to iTunes! Its a pain that its like that. I will have to sort it out and name the albums like it should be after it is done.

15. DreadPikathulhu

That's a pricey download to take a chance on; $109.98 with a 10% coupon. Looking forward to your feedback.

16. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Doesnt iTunes have an option not to auto-screw up your files?

17. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review and analysis.

18. rodney sherman

Hdtracks is calling all six albums "Studio albums 1978-1984" and it is downloading that way into one music folder. I wish it would show up as the 6 individual albums. That is the way HDtracks is selling it!

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The ZZ Top is big news for me. Will we FINALLY get a digital release of the full album with the original LP mix? I can't wait!

The Van Halen and Mad Season is cool too. I love that Mad Season CD.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I can't wait to hear your report. I want to buy them but not if it's the remasters!

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Change the tags before you import them! I use the kid3 tagger and it lets me alter both mp3 and flac tags. Then when you drop the files in, they'll go into their own album sections, all properly tagged.

22. DreadPikathulhu

The Doors set was sold the same way.

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's all about the licensing. It costs more to have a mechanical license that covers the entire world as opposed to one that covers only one country. HDTracks may not have the funds to license these albums for sale everywhere. They are the ones that decide what type of license they can afford. It isn't the record companies.

24. Jody

Jody Active Member

Yes, it's all about the licensing. Although if we're looking to point the finger at someone, I don't see how HDtracks can be at fault. I'm sure they'd love a hassle free way for everyone in the world to buy from them. I don't know how they can be blamed for not being able to afford a license, as opposed to the ones issuing the licenses and setting the prices.
    If they can't sort this out in a way so that sales are gained and not lost, then piracy is inevitable.

Starwanderer and Mij Retrac like this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

I respectfully disagree. Apple spent years and millions on lawyers so they could obtain the rights to sell in the countries they are active in. Record companies are extremely territorial.

In order to do what you suggest, HDTracks would have to negotiate with the rights holders in every country they wanted to sell in.

Spek and Mij Retrac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.