He likes vinyl and he likes tubes . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pinknik, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

That was a funny article. He at least feared for his families saftey at the cost of losing the deapth and air of Yo Yo Ma's Cello.

3. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Pinknik, thanks for the link. Good plain talk about tubes.

4. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Toobes are the Nazz!

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Glad you liked the article. Here's that archive link:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinylanachronist.html

I've enjoyed reading these over the past couple years. As his title suggests, most of the other articles are LP related for the most part. Good stuff.

6. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

You guys rock. I love it when I find out that people are actually reading my articles and talking about them! Besides, in the last two days, two denizens of this forum have e-mailed me to let me know of this forum's existence and that I'm being talked about. (Aw, shucks.)

Anyway, I'm gonna take a look around. I own many DCC titles, and Steve Hoffman is indeed a genius.

Marc

7. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

V-A, welcome to the forum! I read a few of your articles myself, you have a way of explaining things regarding vinyl & perfect sound forever(CD) that makes for entertaining reading, keep up the good work!:)

8. vinyl anachronist

Thanks, Addict! And of course you own a Rega with a Koetsu Black! Excellent taste! (I had a P25 with a Black on it up until a couple of months ago.) You live in California...you have Rega and Koetsu...any chance you know a certain someone named Gene Rubin?

9. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Hello VA,
    I enjoyed the visit to your site and am now looking for a new cartridge like the Dynavector 10x4.
    I am currently using a Micro Acoustics 2002e - It beat out the Shure V15 in our listening tests in the 70's.
    The comment about old cartridges was interesting - I never thought about the rubber drying out before.
    Great site. I have it bookmarked.

10. vinyl anachronist

Thanks, Clay!

As far as rejuvenating old cartridges, there's always A. J. van den Hul, who restores old cartridges by hand himself and brings them up to original specs, and sometimes even surpassing them. He does this all through Stanalog Imports, for anyone who might be interested. The problem is that it usually costs a minimum of $300 to $400 to do it, so while it would make sense for an old Koetsu, Kiseki, or van den Hul, or even an irreplaceable classic like a Fidelity Research or an original Denon 103, it wouldn't be worth it for an old Shure, Ortofon, or Audio-Technica. For that kind of money, after all, you can buy a new Dynavector 10X4 mk.II or a Clearaudio Aurum Beta and be really happy.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Marc,

Welcome!

12. vinyl anachronist

Wow! Thanks, Steve! And this is a very classy audio forum, not to mention the rest of this site!

13. Steve Hoffman

Thanks!

Post often and long!!!!

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

White on black? Please use a color scheme easier on the eyes . . . I decided to give up after a paragraph.

15. vinyl anachronist

Sorry, but I can't change that. The articles appear in Perfect Sound Forever e-zine, not some personal website. You could always let the editor, Jason Gross, know at [email protected].

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I agree in part, but there is an easy way. Are you using IE? Just hit Ctrl+A to select it all, and read away - I use the Page Down key. It should show up as purple text on a white background, or something similar.

Regards,
    Geoff

17. vinyl anachronist

I just tried it, and if anything, it's more difficult to read. Personally, I have no problem with white on black type; it's no different than reading movie credits, for instance.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It is different.

The movie screen (we are talking cinema aren't we?) has terrific resolution, and you are sitting a long way away. Reading characters on a computer monitor is a different animal - you are close and the pixellation is obvious at times. Light colours on a dark background cause bleed through. Furthermore, the eye is less inclined to add the visual dithering to smooth the corners and edges.

Preferences are fine, but it's well accepted that dark text on a light background is easier to read. You can look at some hits on the subject in Google.

Regards,
    Geoff

19. blackwiggle

blackwiggle New Member

OH,I love this thread,reminds me of when I had a set of altec lansing voice of the thearte speakers and dynaco amps.
    As for the reguvination of old favorite cartriges,remember the old GARROTT DECCAS?
    Well,good news,the company has started back up and running here in OZ.
    Apparently they will service just about any cartridge you have worth saving,plus they have a new line of MM and one hell of a MC.
    I mean,if anybody has the patience to fix a decca a koestu would be a breeze.
    The suspension always did giveout on those supex/koestu types after about 18 months.
    Anyway any of you guys in the states you have a REAL advantage with the dollar exchange rate if you want to get an old favorite fixed,lucky bast--s.

20. Steve Hoffman

Didn't those old Decca carts mistrack like crazy? (I'm only repeating what I've heard; I've never actually seen one in action).

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just try cutting and pasting into a word document. It'll turn out black printing on white paper and it becomes a permanent part of your documentation!

That's OK with you, V-A?

BTW, welcome to the forum!

:nauga:

22. vinyl anachronist

Those Deccas did mistrack, and if you didn't have them properly aligned, they'd carve some new grooves into your records! When properly aligned, they're supposed to be world class, but who needs that kind of stress?

23. vinyl anachronist

Thanks, Gary! Of course I approve! I've been doing this for over five years now, and this is the first time I've heard anyone mention this. I have absolutely no problem with reading the site, and I'm nearsighted and have a stigmatism! But, like audio, this is all about preference, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.