He or She never fulfilled their potential in your eyes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Dennis Wilson. He started to grow as a songwriter in the late 60’s and by the time of PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE he was peaking as a writer and producer. His demons kept him from continuing on with the follow up, BAMBU.

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Jellyfish

Lonecat and Aphoristical like this.
  3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Man Lenny Kravitz defines this idea. His first record is awesome. Then less and less quality stuff as he went along. Or just less memorable more formulaic, to me.

Fullbug and Helter Skelter like this.
  4. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

She is an incredible singer and a gifted writer/ musician and arranger too. ‘Scarlover’ Is another tour de force. The whole album with its murky, at times discordant and darkness really works for me.

5. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

What did you do after Seals & Croft?

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Arguably Jim Croce. He made his best album, I Got a Name, before his untimely death and it was released posthumously (after the overdubs were completed). Would this have been the masterwork he would never be able to top or could he have gone on to do even better work?

7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Andrew J and indigo_m like this.
  8. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Lee did sabotage it himself a bit. Telling eager music journos "our album's sh1t, don't buy it" is an eccentric move, you might say...

Echo likes this.
  9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I worked studios in the OC area till the mid 80s and then got my contractors license doing audio installations. I basically walked away from the music industry largely because I started to really dislike the majority of the popular music, the digital drums and synths, and the sounds of the early digital recordings.

Ultimately I have zero regrets as things turned out pretty well for me. Now I'm fully retired, loving life, and trying to enjoy the most out of every day. So far, so good.

Thanks for asking. :)

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I also prefer The Nice to ELP

Mine:

Al Kooper -- did a lot of isolated interesting things, and the 1st BS&T album is a classic. But couldn't sustain a consistent career.

Lou Reed solo

Moby Grape

Gene Clark

Humble Pie

Hell, except for a few years w/The Faces Rod Stewart's entire career has been a disappointment

peachyg72 and Jack like this.
  11. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Not quite sure what you expect , Rod Stewart had a short career with Jeff Beck, then with the Faces before releasing a couple of highly acclaimed solo albums , including Every picture tells a story , which no doubt can be considered a classic album , including a single which was # 1 in the UK and US at the same . He then became hugely successful with his late 70's albums and later started the whole American songbook thing - if you like all of his music or not is irrelevant , you can't expect a 70+ year old man writing a song like Maggie May every year .

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'd say Mary Margaret O'Hara

I came to Miss America late but can imagine at the time listeners waiting for a follow-up that would be as good...and waiting...and waiting...

Chris DeVoe and Minstrel Boy like this.
  13. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

14. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Concrete Blonde

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe it's not that these bands/artists didn't fulfilled their potential but that they did and then continued on. Their potential may have been just one great album and that's it. If anyone posting here has written five or more albums you'll know what that's talking about.

16. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Lauryn Hill

Aphoristical likes this.
  17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Eric Carmen. Huge talent. took the soft pop, chart friendly, career dead end route.

DHamilton, Frosst and Lonecat like this.
  18. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Steve Ellis the singer who fronted the UK hit band Love Affair in the late sixties never capitalized on his bands run of hits .
    When the hits dried up Steve fronted several bands over the ensuing years before leaving the music industry only to suffer an indusrial accident while working as a docks laborer,
    Steve never fulfilled his early promise and seemed to take a number of wrong turns plus some awful bad luck . listen to the later Love Affair sngles and album cuts . these days Steve makes a living on the oldies circuit , mostly at the bottom of the bill !

Petercheck likes this.
  19. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

The wonderful {very young ] Steve Ellis singing his heart out , the guy on keyboards is another lost soul , Philip Goodhand Tait who wrote the song and was not a member of Love Affair!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    thematinggame likes this.
  20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I was talking about this just the other day. I maintain that Hole's Live Through This is THE sleeper album of the 90s.

Tanx likes this.
  21. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Joni Mitchell.

Even though she has done great work, I thought musically she could have done much more
    if she had been inclined.

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Rod Stewart, post 1975

23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The late, great Clifford Brown died young, perhaps he could have been the greatest ever.

Greenalishi and Dan Steele like this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah it all fell apart so fast after that.

25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

What are you referring to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.