He or She never fulfilled their potential in your eyes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Shannon Hoon, Evan Dando, Big Country

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm just agreeing that this thread is exactly for Alex Chilton. Flies was done well before the end of the 70's, and never again would he try to record such personal music. Maybe it was the lack of sales, or the excessive drugs and booze, the breakup with Lesa, or some combo of it all - he just stopped trying to be creative in that introspective vein. Alex should have been so much bigger, with a large catalog of great work.

Chris M likes this.
  3. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Murph and The Magic Tones

Dondy and Terrapin Station like this.
  4. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Jeff Buckley, and not just because he passed away. Had he lived, he may have peaked with Grace (my opinion only, of course).

5. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

One of my favourite albums of all time. She really went out on a limb and did something completely out of character and it worked. Pissed a lot of people off though :agree:.

DTK likes this.
  6. Amanda Marshall - After a brilliant debut album she kind of withered away.

7. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Amy Winehouse - who knows what could have been after "Back To Black" hadn't her life gone downward after that...

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

My first thought. The kid had so much going for him, and a bright future ahead. He had the tools, the talent and respect from his peers. He lacked discipline and self-control, to take care of himself. And that’s a shame!

9. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

SHACK/Michael Head
    CLEARLAKE

10. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The Libertines. They made a perfect debut album (the B-sides weren't shabby either), and then it was all just a mess. A terrible follow-up album, uninspiring solo efforts, a half-baked reunion...

It's a shame that Ice Cube got screwed by Eazy-E and the band's management, because N.W.A. had a few good albums left in them.

The original Buzzcocks lineup. Magazine and Buzzcocks mk. 2 were good, but Spiral Scratch is otherworldly.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  11. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Two female artists who really had strong debut albums but then somehow lost it a bit after that are Diane Birch and Rumer
    They both released cover albums after their first albums, but the next proper albums were ok but not near as good as the debuts.
    However,since they are still young and more or less at the beginning of their careers it might be a bit early to say they didn't fulfill their potential ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The Shangri-Las. They could've been dynamite with the right producer (Lee Hazlewood) in the late 60s.

quakerparrot67 and notesfrom like this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Sinead Oconnor
    I think she had a gift, almost supernatural talent. A shame her life went in a different direction.

14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Los Olvidados

they could have been one of the biggest punk bands ever.

they BLEW IT!

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

o_O

16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Peter Tork. Dude could've done some great stuff in the folk/pop scene but decided to do the blues.
    Micky Dolenz. Great pop voice and didn't do a damn thing with it post Monkees.
    Davy Jones. Great talent. Needed the right producer to keep him on top of his game instead of just kind of meandering.

Randy Meisner's solo work should've been incredible.

17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

One of my favorite unsigned artists, Sean Eldon:

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Jeff Beck's instrumental material better than the vocal material.

moodyxadi likes this.
  19. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Apart from the obvious ones that died too young (Buddy Holly, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley, Amy Winehouse,...), the ones that come to mind are:
    Syd Barrett
    John Lennon (solo)
    Chris Whitely
    Peter Perrett

21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

David Seville & The Chipmunks. Alvin's drug problems hampered the group's success.

BeaTleBob5, Atmospheric and notesfrom like this.
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Can't agree about Jeff Beck, we may never have got the truly fantastic "Blow by Blow" one of the best albums by anyone ever imo.

moodyxadi and Purple Jim like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I agree that Becko was unlucky in not finding a vocalist as good as Rod but I think he revealed his full potential with the two George Martin produced albums "Blow By Blow" and "Wired".
    I haven't liked much of what he has done since those two great albums as his playing seem to lose its fluidity at the expense of splutters and zooms (impressive as they are).

24. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Interesting one. He could've/should've had more success, and certainly had enough material to be a lot more prolific, but I find it hard to imagine he could've had higher artistic peaks than White Light and No Other.

I'd say The Byrds might fit the bill more than he does. Yeah, I know I know; they made some incredible music and had plenty of success despite the turmoil, but a band with that much talent shouldn't have needed throwaway songs to fill out their 30min albums, and I'd love to know where they would have gone after Eight Miles High had Clark stayed.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

After a fab beginning with The Beatles, I expected much better music from Paul McCartney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.