Headphone Amp? $250-$350~

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JKozy88, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beep

beep Senior Member

I got one of these CTH's this week. Ordered it Sunday and it arrived in Virginia Wed. Plugged it in and Blah, sounded like it was under water. Let music play through it for about an hour before listening again and wow, what a difference. I have about 10 hours on it now and it's sounding really good. I can't wait til it's completely broken in. I'm using a HD650 (mass drop version) and Spotify premium from my Dell laptop into an original dragonfly, into the CTH using an Audioquest Forest mini plug into 2 RCA's interconnect. I haven't tried my HIFI Man 400i or Grado 325's yet. It looks like it's going to be a huge upgrade from my HIFI Man amp. I'm going to live with this set up a while before I think about a new DAC.

displayname likes this.
  2. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Been wracking my brain trying to figure out if the CTH is the right decision without having access to it (The solid state Arcam rHead is more expensive at $600 vs. the $250 for the CTH). The integrated amp in my primary system is an Arcam A39 with a Naim CD player and Rega P6 turntable. (I have quality headphones-Beyer B&W, Sony).Trying to choose between an Arcam rHead headphone amp and the CTH headphone amp. Still wondering if the rHead will give me much more than the built in headphone circuit for the A39. Arcam UK's response: "The headphone stage in the A39 is very good but the rHead is better. I can't tell you if you will hear a difference because peoples hearing and ability to discern sounds varies but the rHead is a dedicated class A amplifier so on paper at least it is another sizable step up." Hmmmm....on paper. From the InnerFidelity review of the CTH it seems possible that the CTH will give me a slightly different audio flavor (staging, bass) than either the A39 or the rHead (with the possibility of a bit of graininess) The CTH looks like it MIGHT give me a second option if the A39 headphone circuit is close (as in audible) to the rHead circuit. Little worried about the quality control for the CTH regarding some of the comments stared here. And some seem pleased with the Electroharmonix tube others want to change it right away. Would be interested in any and all opinions.

displayname likes this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Schiit Valhalla 2 - $349;

DarkVoice 336SE - occasionally on Massdrop for $199;

Little Dot Mk II or III - around $130 - $230, also on Massdrop occasionally.

EDIT: Mk III active on Massdrop now for $230.

displayname and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

No solid sates to recommend at this price point, or do you just heavily prefer tubes. Just curious, I've read great things about everything you listed.

5. Benzion

In headphones I use tubes exclusively, hybrids at most.

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  6. displayname

Glad I found this thread, it's the perfect fit since the OP was originally asking for the 400i and I recently added the 4XX to my system.

Does anyone have strong opinions of the Dark Voice vs CTH?

I've also considered holding out, but these two are active right now and they seem well reviewed. I could also hold out for the Liquid Carbon X to come back. I do love the maintenance free nature of solid state, and I'd prefer no dac for my headphone amp.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Lots of nice information in this thread. I went a different direction. When I got my TH900’s I ran across a Teac HA-P90 at Guitar Center for $249 since they were closing them out. It works wonderfully as a really nice HP amp, as well as a Portable DAC, and a fantastic sounding, if quirky Hi-Res portable player. The Pono was good, but was not nearly this flexible, and the TEAC is just phenomenal sounding.

trd and displayname like this.
  8. displayname

That’s good info, but I’m mostly just looking for a home solution rather than a portable. I know that this doesn’t always hold true, but I’d rather have all the resources go directly into the amp, not split between amp, battery and DAC. But if I do ever decide to dive into the portable pool I’ll scope that out.

BayouTiger likes this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

@Ham Sandwich any issue with channel inbalance or scratchy volume on the CTH?

displayname likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

No. I haven't experienced any problems. But I'm also not as sensitive to channel imbalance as other people because my hearing has it's own channel inbalance.

Opeth and displayname like this.
  11. displayname

I'm honestly tempted to just order a CTH, Aune X7s and dark voice, and then return/flip the ones I don't like as much. The rHead is interesting too if I can find it for the right price. I miss stores for this stuff.

Opeth likes this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The rhead looks awesome too, wonder if it's single ended like the CTH where the balanced connector is no different. I love my Valhalla 2 but it definitely wet my appetite for headphone amps.

displayname likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Careful, you'll end up like me. I've got six headphone amps in the audio rack right now.

TimB and Opeth like this.
  14. displayname

That's my fear. And really one barely fits in the budget after getting a new turntable.

15. Benzion

I've got four...

What's CTH, btw?

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
  17. displayname

Cavalli Tube Hybrid on massdrop.
    Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce

General reviews are positive, but there have been a few QC related issues reported. The price and general positive reviews are very tempting though.

Opeth likes this.
  18. Benzion

Ah, Cavalli, I've seen them. Not tempted yet, not enough feedback. The Little Dot, Valhalla 2, and DarkVoice are fairly well-known and well-established ones. This one is a relative unknown so far, so I will wait. Not like I need another HP amp anyway - got a Bottlehead Crack a few weeks back, and just yesterday received my DarkVoice from Massdrop.

EDIT: Bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT990 600 Ohm special for the DarkVoice, will report on the pairing in a while.

displayname likes this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

A word of caution. Don't let the quest to find the best $300ish amp keep you from being able to afford the better amps and gear. If buying and trying and churning and keeping a bunch of $300 amps means that you'll never be able to afford the better amps and gear then I don't think those $300 amps are worth it. The $300ish amps are neat and some sound really good, but there's a whole nother tier in audio sound quality out there that will make even the best $300 amp sound like entry level. Granted, that nother tier tends to be expensive and selective. But it's there and is noticeably better. And some of those amps can be found used for reasonable prices. Don't let a collection of $300 amps keep you from being able to ever consider those better amps.

An example would be my Cavalli Liquid Fire amp. Expensive when new (around $3K, I bought mine used). A great amp, IMHO, with Audeze headphones. Listening to the Liquid Fire next to the Cavalli Tube Hybrid and the Liquid Fire is worth every penny to me. The CTH amp ends up sounding entry level hi-fi. Granted there is a very real diminishing return on the extra dollars spent. But once you hear and own it that diminishing return is very quickly forgotten. It's a similar difference if you compare the good $2K+ tube amps to the $300 tube amps.

What makes this more relevant is that Cavalli has designed a Liquid Platinum amp that is being built and sold by Monoprice for $700. The Liquid Platinum is an evolution of the blended hybrid design that Cavalli developed for the Liquid Fire and Liquid Crimson. The Liquid Platinum is also a balanced amp design. I'm expecting it to have the similar sound of the Liquid Fire and Liquid Crimson but at $700 rather than $3000. The Liquid Platinum could be an absolute audio bargain if it achieves that. But only a bargain if you like the Cavalli blended hybrid style of sound (I do). It's a smoother sound and sound style that won't appeal to everyone. I will be quite happy if the Liquid Platinum ends up being equal or even better than my Liquid Fire. Because that means that level and style of sound quality will be far more accessible and available. And more people will get to have and enjoy it.

If buying a bunch of $300 amps means you won't be able to consider even the $700 Liquid Platinum then you're ultimately missing out on what that nother tier of audio quality is like. You'll have spent enough money to be there but won't be able to get there. So close, yet so far away.

I do have a confession. I do own about a dozen headphone amps. Most being in the $300 and under category. But buying those amps didn't keep me from being able to buy the good amps that I ultimately wanted. Keep your eye on the prize. The prize being exceptional sound quality. Don't get stuck churning through low cost gear with no eye on what's ahead.

signothetimes53 and displayname like this.
  20. displayname

This is a really valid point that I'm well aware of. I'm exploring the $250-350 amp range as a result of recently acquiring a set of HE4XX headphones. It's the lowest end of the headphone hifi pool, I'm aware. I've demoed several higher end headphones, but this is where I was comfortable dipping my toe in at the time. I'm currently looking for an amp that will compliment these cans better than my integrated amp, but by no means an end game. I can vary easily see myself moving up to LCD-2s or Focal Elear/Clear/Elex. That next step won't come in time immediate future, but I'm looking for an amp that can get the most out of what I have now, and a taste of what the future has to offer.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  21. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

What you need is power and I may have a solution for you that is close to your budget.

I recently purchased the Burson Play which is a DAC/Amp which can also be used as a preamp. It comes with the gear to run it straight out of your PC, attached to another DAC or it can even be plugged into your PC tower via a 4 pin Molex connector.

It's power output is a hefty 2W into 16 ohms. To put it into perspective, I needed an amp that would finally make my HD580s sing like they should and the Burson does this admirably.

You get a choice of Opamps inside the Burson. The basic model has NE5532 X 3, NE5543 X 2 Opamps and sounds great. However, there are fours other choices and I seriously suggest that you look at one of these.

There is the the V5i (V5i-Dual X 3, V5i-Single X 2) for $399, and V5 option (V5-Dual X 3, V5-Single X 2) for $475. I've tried the V5i and it sounds wonderful and what I like is that it doesn't sound digital and gets a smooth sound. Detail, soundstage and intrumental separation are exceptional. It goes low with ease and the highs are smooth and clear.

However, Burson recently released their V6 Opamps and they are even better. My V5i had an issue and when they said they would replace it I got the V6 Vivid (there is also a V6 Classic). The upgrade was worth it.

TimB likes this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

My comment wasn't directed at you, or really anyone specific on this site. More of a general warning about behavior that can be found on reddit and head-fi. People looking for the best $300 amp and best low-cost headphones. And in the process end up spending thousands in sunk costs trying lots of gear. Spent thousands yet unable to afford or have any better gear.

displayname likes this.
  23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Rega Ear mk 2 and Arcam rhead would be the UK choices in this price bracket. Maybe Rega will bring out a mk 3 to match the newer TTPSU and Fonos.

displayname likes this.
  24. displayname

Any opinions on the Rega Ear? Most reviews seem somewhat of a letdown

25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.