Headphone Amp for HD650

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shirtandtie, Mar 8, 2018.

1. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there are some threads that discuss this and I have been perusing them as well as other forums via Google BUT, I thought I'd throw out a line and see if anybody has some recommendations for a fairly inexpensive headphone amp for a pair of Sennheiser HD650's.

I'm going to directly connect it to my Oppo 195 either coax or RCA out. I really want to make these sound warm and most fingers point to a Schiit tube amp like the Valhalla or the Lyr. I did read that the stock tubes in those were crap by one persons findings. There's all these pluses and minuses and damnit, I just wanna drive these headphones right!

I figure the DAC in the Oppo itself is probably fine. If you think otherwise please say so. I think they just need a good amp! The headphone out jack on the Oppo 195 itself is just OK and I wanna pull everything out of these things. :)

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
  2. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Charleston, SC
    I'm happy with my Bottlehead Crack if you're handy with a soldering iron or want to learn.
  3. shirtandtie

No not at all. I’m VERY much plug and play unless the price difference is significant.
  4. shirtandtie

OK now I'm pretty much sold on the Bottlehead Crack with speedball upgrade. :uhhuh: I'm not building it though. :tsk:
    scotth likes this.