Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2015 edition.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Thanks! I've seen that, too. Thought about it, but not sure it's worth the $$$ to me. I don't listen thru cans quite as much anymore since I upgraded to earbuds from RHA for $200+. They aren't as good as the M50, but they're more comfortable and they're "good enough".

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  2. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD598? I'm thinking about getting the Special Edition model.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have a few sets:
    Senn HD700 - love these things. Light, clean, full sound, amazing comfort. If they were closed back, tHey would be perfect.
    B&W P5 - beautiful, balanced sound, very lightweight, fit is too tight on my size 8+ head to wear for long time
    Shure SRH840 - nice sound,but a little heavy on the bass, very comfy
    Etymotic ER4P - beautifully clean and neutral

I generally use them straight from the components, but I find an amp helps a lot. If I remember to grab it, my Max Headroom makes the iPad much better on a flight, but using the headphone on my Duet gives the best results for digital.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have a Stax combo-one of the cheaper models-absolutely terrific. For IPod listening I use one of the Audio Technica lower priced-don't recall model number or the elcheapo Koss when I don't want the bulky ones.

5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

To me the sounded better than the open model, which I did not expect at all. They came in 2nd in my comparison:

1. AKG K812
    2. Audeze EL-8C
    3. Oppo PM-2
    4. Audeze EL-8O

My biggest gripe was the cable on the Audezes. It fell out numerous times on both models with normal head movements. Not sure if they've addressed that yet - this was when they were first released.

Bill

6. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I think it's either the best or at least one of the best sub-$200 cans you can buy. I have a bedside rig that consists of a pair of HD598s, an Objective 2 headphone amp, and a Pono player (the Pono can almost drive the HD598s itself). In my experience, the HD598 earcups are more "pillow friendly" than a lot of other cans.

7. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

8. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

You'd wind up in chiropractic intensive care!

9. I prefer the Oppo PM-1 to the Audeze LCD-2. Warmer sound. In fact, I sold my LCD-2's after I got the final production version of the PM-1. Both are exquisite headphones. I have not heard the Audeze EL-8 closed back headphones, but I'd recommend you compare them with the Oppo PM-3's which are closed back orthodynamics too, at a lower price. I have the PM-3's and they are tough to beat if you are looking for a closed back, easy to drive, fun to listen to headphone.

Pancat and johnnypaddock like this.
  10. Big fan of the B&W P5's--I own a pair of the first series--and of the Etymotic ER-6i. I have not heard the ER-4p but if they sound anything like the ER-6i (they probably sound better), then I'm a fan too.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm intrigued. What are AN J headphones? It's a bad term to search so I'm not finding anything.

12. Time Is On My Side

I got my Senn HD 598SE today. Sounds less forward than my ATH-M50 but maybe that's how it's supposed to sound? I can say they weigh less than my ATH-M50 and they feel more comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Sorry the AN J is not a headphone - it is short for Audio Note J loudspeakers.

14. Trea

Trea Member

I tried a pair in store and ended up getting the Oppo Pm-3 instead. I just preferred the sound more and the Oppo were much more comfortable to me.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed on the Oppo PM-3... really great headphones for the money. I strongly preferred them to the B&W P7 and the Master & Dynamic MH-40. Really comfortable, nice tight bass, no real glaring weaknesses. Plus I love that they give you a small portable cable along with a longer one for the house.

Gardo, bru87tr and Pancat like this.
  16. Time Is On My Side

I have to say I feel kind of underwhelmed by my HD598's. They sound really harsh and strange sounding. Do these need a good amp to sound as good as my ATH-M50's did? I just had them plugged into my computer listening to some movies and I feel somewhat underwhelmed.

17. Time Is On My Side

EDIT: Now that I played around a little bit, I think I just had a crappy source (analog out of my PC).

18. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I have tried a lot of headphones in my hi-fi career, but always get back to Beyerdynamic, and today I use the DT770Pro with my Oppo HA-1 headphone amp, a heavy Class A gem. It is fed directly from my Linn Akurate via XLR's. The HA-1 also has a balanced output, which I will probably use in the future.

When on the road, which (unfortunately) include long air travels, I have worn out four Koss Porta Pro, and today I use the AKG K490NC. I chose them because they will work even if the battery is dead; I loose only the active noise cancelling. I like redundancy.

19. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

All my listening is via Headphones. I run a Metrum Acoustics DAC and Amp. LCDX for rock, HD800 for classical. HifiMan Edition X arrives on Wednesday :whistle:

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

At home
    HD 600 - the biggest bargain in audio right now
    Denon AH-D2000
    Audiolab M-Dac or original X-Can

on the move
    Beyer T7op - perfect for detail freaks
    Beyer DT1350 - still the best sounding on ear portable
    V-Moda XS - for when space is tight

Players are Hifiman HM-901 with mini box (incredible sound
    for under £1k) or Ibasso DX90 with Chord Mojo

HM-901 + DT1350 is insanely good for the price.

21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

On the go: Oppo PM3s with either an Astell & Kern Jnr or ipod classic/Oppo HA2 combo.

22. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

A month ago I bought the Shure SRH940 , they has beautiful sound , very open and clear .
    I also love my Shure SRH240 that has natural warm sound , the vocals sounds fantastic!

Other headphones: Superlux HD661 -very light sound with strong treble and the Sennheiser HD600 ( very natural sound

I connected them to my Receiver - Yamaha RX-497
    ( my current compact disc player - Yamaha CD-S300 which replaced my CDX-397MK2 .
    The Yamaha CD-S300 sounds more open and detailed from the CDX-397MK2.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  23. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I have had HD600's for many years now. Headphone Amp is a Creek OBH-21SE. They sound nice, clean and clear. I recently bought a pair of NAD VISO HP50's because I wanted a closed back headphone and I am really digging them, much fuller sounding than my HD600. I kind of don't understand why the HD600 are so popular. Maybe with the right amp... I had Grado's, 125's I think, before the HD600's. They were really uncomfortable for me. The HD600's and NAD HP50's are comfy.

24. I also picked up the HiFiMan HE-400i recently and am enjoying them a lot. I use them with a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC which doubles as a poor man's headphone amp. Planning to get a real headphone amp. What are you using to drive your HE400i's?

I use ORTOFON e-Q5 IEMs for travel, and also have Senn HD 380pros and an Aune B1 portable headphone amp.

25. Augustus McRae

Augustus McRae Forum Resident

Hi, New member but lurked for a year as a padiwan learner.
    At home I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber>custom headphone amp built by Mark Still in Va.>AKG K550 or DT770Pro 250. I would post a picture but I'm a noob.

Work--Bravo Ocean headphone amp>Grado 80 or ATH-50x

Portable--JDS Labs cmoy bb2>UE Triple Fi

Works for me because I am always around others.