Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2016 edition.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr Tone, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

If I buy another pair of headphones it will probably be an RS1 unless I suddenly have enough money for $2000+ headphones. I like my 325i and have enjoyed it for years when paired with warm equipment, but haven't used it lately in favor of other more well rounded headphones. It is still the best headphone to reproduce electric guitar out of any price range I've heard though. I imagine the RS1 or RSIe with replacement pads would go well with a vacuum tube amp.

Most recent purchase was HIFIMAN HE-400i and HE-400s. I haven't finished breaking them in yet and they really do need to break in, so I'm not sure which I like morel. The 400i is supposed to be more expensive and a slight step up as indicated by it's more expensive packaging, but they were on sale for $50 less than the 400s (1/2 normal price) so I figured what the heck. The 400i looks a little nicer in my opinion and maybe more detailed but maybe the 400s so far has a better low end.

I was planning on sending the one I didn't like back because Amazon return is easy but I'll probably end up keeping them. I can keep one pretty much stock and experiment on modifying the other. They are well rounded headphones in general and probably the best value out of any headphone remotely close in price. I prefer them to the HD 650. They are the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I still like my Beyer DT990 600 ohm headphones which have better bass and better soundstage for movies and some types of music.

I keep my Grado 325i around and sometimes use them for vinyl but I need to send them in for maintenance. I have had the headphone for 9 years but not too happy with having to send it in for recabling or replacement drivers at least three times already compared to never with any other headphones I've had.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Ivand and Spsesq like this.
  2. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I am running my Grado RS1e off the Vali 2 connected to my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. Both are tube amplifiers and I auditioned them on a Prima Luna tube amplifier so they were very warm sounding headphones. Just what I wanted!

White_Noise likes this.
  3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

4. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I sold my phone's, save for my travel pair, and my favorite pair :)

I have an Oppo-HA1 headphone amp, and Audeze LCD-XC headphones. I listen to Tidal and FLAC from my iMac. I have a pair of B&W P7's for travel.

5. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Shure SRH1840 with my Yamaha A-S801 - I continue to be astonished, and I'm only maybe 7-8 hours of using them.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have the SR225's and the cups disconnected from the posts the first week I had them. I crazy glued them back on. That to me does not instill confidence in the manufacturing process and overall craftsmanship. Your example and experience is way worse than mine - not good.

7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I have a good many pairs of headphones everything from Sennheiser (HD series) to Audio-Technica, but my favorite pair of headphones is the Philips’ SHP9500s. Super comfortable (mesh ear padding) and great sound quality (Frequency response: 12-35 000Hz, 101 dB, 32 ohms). I have a stereo setup, but when I’m listening at my desk, which is most of the time these days, I use a Sony CD Walkman (model: D-EJ100) and I have zero complaints about it.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  8. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Just picked up a set of Meze 99 Neo phones & a balanced cable from Surf. Very impressed on my Pono. Plenty of volume, closed phone sound. They're keepers!

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

For about the last seven years, I've used Sony MDR-V6 headphones for all of my at-home listening. In fact I bought two pair of them so I always had them at-the-ready on the home stereo and on the computer. The computer pair gets the most work, and I've replaced the pads twice over that seven year period. The humidity in Florida really does a number on the "leatherette" pads. They get flaky and then my wife asks me what those black marks are on my ears, face, and/or neck!

Still, while I wouldn't want anything other than these for my headphone listening, I was curious about the "professional" version, the MDR-7506. So recently I found a decent deal on Amazon and ordered a pair of those too, just for comparison. I don't hear any difference at all, and believe these to be functionally identical, the difference being the "Professional" sticker on the 7506's instead of the "for Digital" on the V6's, and the gold plug on the 7506's. The V6's seem to fold more tightly together than the 7506's. I wonder if it's just the curvature of the headband that's tighter on the V6's. ?

timind likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are some aftermarket velour pads that will fit the V6 and 7506. The Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads will fit the Sony V6 and 7506. Sweetwater has the velour DT250 pads. There are also some off-brand velour pads on Amazon and B&H Photo that will fit the V6 and 7506.

Using different pads can change the sound of the headphone a bit. Especially if the replacement pads have a different depth or ear hole size. How the pads seal around the ear will also affect bass response. I've used the DT250 pads on a V6. They're constructed well and fit well. I haven't tried any of the other off-brand pads that are available on Amazon or B&H Photo.

Since you have the V6 and 7506 you can try the velour pads on one and keep the stock pads on the other. Then compare the sound. You'll find the velour pads to be more comfortable for Florida heat and humidity. And the velour pads will last longer.

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

That is so true. I have a pair of AKG K271 s with the stock ear pads (feels like vinyl) and tried a pair of velour pads on them. They went from a very bright, detailed sound to a very laid back sound with some added bass.

12. Ham Sandwich

Yeah, pad changes can make a very noticeable change in sound. The change could be for the better, or could be for the worse. Which makes getting different pads for a headphone kinda hit or miss. You may have to try several different ear pads to find something that works and has a sound quality you like.

timind likes this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm so happy with the sound of the V6s and the 7506s that I wouldn't want to color them any other way.

14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I was watching some videos of the MHA150. It looks so cool and I bet it delivers!

Voodoo Child likes this.
  15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

It does! Very happy with it.

16. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I was lucky enough to snag a HE400i for £215 last week, brand new and unopened. BARGAIN!!!

17. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Just got the Grado RS1(e)'s and swapped out the L ear pads for the G ear pads. Perfect headphones. They sound as close to my LS50's. In fact they are so close that when I listen to one earphone and the speakers, it is so close you really can't tell. Same warmth....highly recommend the Grado's.

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Nice. If the G cush pads get a bit itchy, there's a lot of advice around the internet on how to make them softer. Really improves the comfort.

Spsesq likes this.
  19. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Then don’t go for aftermarket velour pads! I tried some on my 7506’s and the sound was completely changed - total mud and they didn’t isolate/seal nearly as well. I put the original pads back on, and the signature sound came back!

20. Ham Sandwich

There are a bunch of different velour pads available now that will fit the V6 or 7506. They aren't all the same and could sound different from each other. You'd have to try them all to be able to say that velour pads won't work.

Velour pads are more tricky to get a good seal with than the pleather style pads. Getting a good seal with velour pads requires that the velour fabric be pliable enough and the foam be soft enough yet just stiff enough to get a good seal. Velour pads can seal around the ear if the pads are just right and the headphones have enough clamp.

21. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I tried Auray and Beyer pads - the problems I had, were the pads were too wide - they left a smaller opening for the drivers and partially covered them. Also the netting was thicker and diffused even more sound - I just couldn’t hang with them. Hopefully there are other velour pads that have the same sized opening as the Sony pads, but I just went back to the Sonys...

22. Ham Sandwich

The people who experiment with different pads and other mods that affect the sound tend to also have a headphone measurement rig. That's the only sane way to do it. That way you can measure what the changes are. Relying on just your ears to figure out what sort of sonic changes new pads, or other mods, cause will drive you bonkers and lead to inconsistent results.

If you're lucky you can find someone who has a V6 or 7506 and has already tested and measured different ear pads and determined which (if any) velour pads work well on those Sony headphones.

I don't do modding and don't have a measurement rig. If I do try a mod of some sort I go with mods that have already been tested and proven with known good results. I did try modding a Fostex T50RP. Tried using my ears to tune it and adjust the materials. That didn't work out well. You really need a measurement rig if you're going to do that sort of build and mod.

23. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I am not the modding type...other than changing the L cushion to the G cushion. I will probably get crap for this but..I don't consider myself an "audiophile" because I don't know all the terms; I don't spent $5,000 for interconnects; I didn't acoustically design my listening room.

I do love music and spend most of my unwinding time listening to my system. I spent $695 for headphones designed by a headphone company that ostensibly has 50 years of experience in design, including why they use the particular materials they do for the ear cushions. I auditioned the RS1e's and really liked the warm sound ( very close to my LS50's) with my tube amplifier, turntable, cartridge, they were light, felt comfortable and respected reviewers have said they are amongst the best on the market.

I wear glasses so I tried the G cushion because the glasses fit better with them. I can't find any sonic difference between the L and G cushion and I am not going to try to tweak a hz here or there especially since I couldn't even tell you what I'd be listening for. They are currently plugged into my Schiit Vali 2 and they sound great.....So on with the tunes!

luckyno13 and billnunan like this.
  24. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Exactly...

25. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

I've been listening to my Sony MDR-Z7 headphones the most, lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.