Headphones as a gift - recommendations for under $200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rxcory, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

Looking for recommendations for a nice pair of headphones for my younger sister. I have a set of AKG K 240 Mk II headphones that she loves to use and I'm happy with, but instead of having two pairs of identical cans I would much rather go with another model or brand for the second set. Looking at a price range of $100 - $200-ish. What are some of the better-sounding models at this price range? Thanks for your help.

2. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

You probably can't go wrong with Grado, either the 60 or 80. Maybe Audio Technica ATH-M50s, too.

Is this mainly for mobile listening? The impedance of various phones can be a big factor in the ability of portable players/phones to drive them.

3. rxcory

Yes, these will primarily be used on mobile devices, with some limited use on the home stereo. Probably about a 90% / 10% split.

4. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Comfort is an often overlooked factor with headphones.

If this is a gift FOR HER and she likes the AKG, get her that (you are being a bit selfish looking to get a different set so you can try different types don't you think!).

Anyway, I've never had any problems with Sennheisers throughout their range for both comfort and listening quality.

I have had difficulties with Grados. I tried two of their higher end types about ten years ago and they both gave me earache. That of course may be just my hearing, but that is the difficulty with buying headphones for someone else. The best way of course, if not so exciting, is to offer to spend up to $xxx on headphones of HER choice, ideally after trying them in a shop.

rxcory likes this.
  5. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Yes. True about many phones, inexpensive or expensive. You may want to do a web search for certain models and see if there are easy changes, such as new ear cushions, recommended by others. Some mods are as easy as stretching the headband on some models, for a lighter grip.

6. If you can find them, the Sennheiser PX100 line is a terrific portable. It's pretty good at home as well.

Five Star Edge and Doug Sclar like this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sennheiser 558s sound great and are comfortable and about 160 bucks at Best Buy or probably Amazon.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Get the best pair of Sennheisers your $200 can buy. I can't imagine she'd be unhappy. (Sound quality plus comfort = good.)

BuddhaBob likes this.
  9. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

If it's a gift for her get her what you know she likes. And if you want to play around with other sub $200 headphones go yourself look at AT and Grado. Easy, no?

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm with these fellas.

The HD598s are curently $181.
    [​IMG]

vegafleet likes this.
  11. Is this the new portable headphone style?

12. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Those HD598's would look awesome in my Buick as passenger isolation.

CarterB and rxcory like this.
  13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am a fan of the ATH-M50s - great sound for bit over $100.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

rxcory likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

These are great headphones, I agree.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have three pairs of Sennheisers, one closed-back, two open style. I almost always use the closed ones with my portable, just so I get some rejection of the noise around me, and more volume (or, at least, perceived volume, due the the reduction of background noise). The open/closed debate is certainly one worth having, if portable use is the primary goal.

17. rxcory

Matt, can you tell me which model number those are, especially the closed ones? I have my eye on those HD598's that Donald mentioned, but haven't had time to check to see if they're open or closed-style. Heading to bed after a monster of a night shift....

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Your night shift extended into early morning! oof!

The HD598s are open. I often use them when I work the night shift if it is not too busy. This way I can still hear if the phone rings.

I'd be interested to see the model number of Matt's closed Sennheisers as well.

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 Professional Acoustically Open Headphones for Monitoring and Studio Applications

List price $ 299 but now they can be yours for $199, so says Amazon

http://amzn.com/B0011UB9CQ

20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I sold my Sennheiser HD600 for these , much better AND they have bass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.