Headphones: audio-technica ATX-M40 or ATX-M50?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

In the past I've owned various types and brands of headphones and they all had their pros & cons., but I've never owned any audio-technica ones. I'd like to try them this time. The two models I'm looking at seem to be quite popular and meet my budget.

I'll be using them for a PC Laptop setup (Dell Inspiron 17" 5000 Series i7) with an Audioquest DragonFly Red portable USB DAC/Amp (most likely). My cheap earbuds plugged into the laptop are passable, but not enjoyable from a quality sound perspective. Hence my quest to upgrade. I have many interests and browse YouTube videos a lot on various subjects, so this upgrade won't be for just music. I would say it's usage would be about 50/50 music/other. I just want a good all around set of headphones.

Based on my needs the ATX-M40's would probably suffice, plus I could save about $50 (Canadian pricing)...and who doesn't like saving, eh? However, if I can be convinced that the ATX-M50's are THAT MUCH BETTER for the price I'm prepared to go for those.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences, observations and opinions regarding the above.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

There are plenty of comparison videos on YouTube that go into great detail.

3. Johnny Vinyl

I'm aware of that and have watched several, but I'd also like some thoughts from our member base here.

4. For me, definitely the M40s just because, after listening to LOTS of comparisons, they gave a more "neutral" response to my ears. The M50s have increased bass response, which is great for those who like that sound. I like it too, but my overall preference when listening to music is the most natural and uncolored sound I can get. And between the two, the 40s fit that bill without a doubt. That's what I've been using since a few years ago and have no plans of looking for something else.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. Johnny Vinyl

I've heard it said that the M50's can sound somewhat "shrill" on top. This is something I definitely want to avoid. Would you say the M40's are more balanced?

6. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

IMHO, The ATH-M50x are definitively NOT better than the M40 and I also strongly suggest to try them before committing because I found them to be extremely uncomfortable.

The problem with the M50x (beside the comfort issue, but there YMMV) is that there is absolutely no way to get a decent and pleasing mid because it is swamped by the bloated bass and the really weird treble.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Johnny Vinyl

I'll definitely be trying them out first as comfort is extremely important. If I find neither to be comfortable I'll move on to another brand.

8. Yes. Definitely.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

To be honest if the 50x's don't appeal to you, I'd look to a different lineup vs. go with the 40's. The 50x is a good headphone that isn't for everybody, the 40 and below is squarely in the "nothing special" tier.

Michael Rose likes this.
  10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I've never heard the 50s, but I tend to agree with this assessment of the 40s. I have a set of 40s. Like them. Nothing special. I primarily use them to play guitar through digital amplifiers, and they do that very well. (I'll also not that they are the 'house cans' at Capitol Studios - so there's that). But when I plug into my pre-amp and listen to vinyl or CDs, they're fine but definitely far from what I would consider impressive, but that's in comparison to headphones that are quite a bit more pricey.

11. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of the 40s a few months ago. I've never owned a pair of "high end" headphones and this was my first dip into the water of higher quality headphones so I have little to compare other than what I've heard from my friends (I may upgrade to some Senheiser ones when I actually have money). I'm happy with them though. I mostly use it for music and streaming on my laptop. I am currently re-ripping my CDs at a higher bitrate and they've been great. They sound pretty full and neutral compared to a lot of the bass heavy headphones I've tried in-store like Sony, Beats, etc. They come with a nice little bag and two different cords. I use the shorter, coiled one. The other one is incredibly long but I can see it useful for musicians, DJs, etc. The little swivel parts get a bit annoying though.

When I was looking up the comparisons, I decided to go with them over the 50s because they were more neutral for playing/doing a wider variety of things. I wanted something that sounded good playing hip hop, electronic, as well as rock, folk, etc. Plus, they're cheaper than the 50s.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.