Headphones for $100

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bass, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Monoprice headphones aren't that good. They aren't worth they hype they get. They don't sound that good. Don't buy them in lieu of $100 headphones. Their only use should be as a $20 headphone that you keep by the computer for the kids to use. $20 is cheap enough that if the kids break it or the dog chews it up you don't care. That's all they're good for. They are not a substitute for actual good headphones. They're not even a substitute for $60 headphones in terms of sound quality.

johnny q and DiabloG like this.
  2. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

I’m gonna tag along in this thread, I’m looking for a good pair too for around $100ish but for commuting? Something not open back , Earbuds are fine. I’m taking the el (Chicago’s subway train but above ground). Thanks

3. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

If you are OK with in-ears, for $100 the Shure SE215 is tough to beat. Great passive noise isolation (especially with the foam tips) with a fairly shallow insertion, plus pretty decent sound quality and durability. I've used mine almost daily for four years now without any concern about them breaking. They are designed for the cables to be worn over the ear, some people don't like that but I prefer it.

drobo and Dolemite like this.
  4. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

On second thought, having owned them years ago, I'd take the Grados off my previous list ... they're not very comfortable and the sound doesn't work for all music.

If I was you, I'd stick with the Sennheiser 559, 598 or 599 (going by what's currently available on Amazon) or perhaps a pair of AKG 553s.

5. Bass

Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you compare the nuance's of the three you mentioned?

6. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

• Thanks, those would be perfect for me

7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

A lot of folks think otherwise. I took them to one shop and compared them to every under $100 headphones they had. Left with the Monoprice. Bottom line is for the price it's foolish not to try them.

8. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I have both the 598 in what I call "Chrysler TC" ugly beige with wood trim and the 598SE in all black. No difference that I can tell. Had them both for a couple of years and paid under $100 new on Amazon for each. The SE came with a second cord which makes mini-plug (phone) use far easier than the clunky adapter from 1/4-inch to mini on the originals. I like them both very much. I've used MDRs for monitors and they are good for critical listening but I don't find them as comfortable or pleasant to listen to for pleasure. IMHO, I don't think you can find any headphones more comfortable and easy to drive as the 598s anywhere near the price, or even for twice as much (or far more!).

9. Bass

I caught a set of 598 se's for $93 on Ebay. I hope they are good for acoustic jazz. I may get the monoprice ones the next time a coupon rolls around for work.

10. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

AKG K240 studio headphones.

11. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Let us know what you think!

12. Bass

First impressions. Very flat. All instruments are delivered at the same level. Nice delivery of the music. This is my first pair in 20 years so I will need to evaluate them more and add to this thread.

13. Bass

I have used the 598's quite a bit now. The bass tones down after a while. Now it sounds natural. It is a very even presentation of the music. Nothing added. Great recordings sound great. The bad ones reveal their flaws. All in all I like them.

14. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Surprised you yet to mention the comfort factor! :righton:

15. Bass

You are right. A serious omission. They are very comfortable. Better than any pair I have owned.

16. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

17. Bass

Last night I used a pair of closed cans. This really made the Sennheiser's sound better. The comparison is night and day in terms of a difference. Still some more critical listening but the closed cans were fatiguing in less than half the time. Everyone's ears are different. The closed cans are the Monoprice 8323's that this thread made me spend $20 on. LOL.

18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'll agree with you here. I bought them based on the reviews and ended up being fairly unimpressed with them. The last time I used my pair, I found them to be a bit muffled and lacking in rich midrange. The bass was okay I guess, but it didn't really stand out. I'll have to break out the set again just for curiosity's sake.

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Great for monitoring, very "neutral" for sure. I used to listen to them a lot before I got a house, where I could just listen to my speakers.

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Describing the Monoprice 8323 as a bit muffled is an understatement. The 8323 is long wool sheep level of muffled and woolly. There are headphones that are more muffled. The Monoprice 8323 claim to fame is that they're not as bad as those headphones.

johnny q likes this.
  21. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

Did you end up with the K52s? Are you happy with them?

22. setonfire

setonfire Active Member

Postponed buying a bit. Think I'll grab them next month

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I would second Sennheiser in that price range. I found their earcup design very comfortable. I ended up getting the HD598SE when it was $100, but I think the price has jumped now. I found the Audio Technica ATH-M50 to be too clampy on my head though I did like the sound.

24. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I take this back. Bought a NOS pair a while back and they sound nothing like my old pair. The NOS Zoro HDs sound very muffled and harsh in the upper-mids. The old pair, while not in good shape anymore, sound much more balanced and pleasing.

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.