Headphones only setup?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mogwai3, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mogwai3

mogwai3 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am looking to purchase a second turntable for my den. This will serve as a secondary listening room, but I'm looking for a clean setup with headphones only (maybe down the line will add some klipsch speakers). I'm looking at the Pro-Ject Primary (maybe splurge on the Rega Planar 1).

These have built in pre-amps, my question is can I use them directly with headphones only and which would you recommend?

Grazie

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Pro-Ject Primary has a built-in phono pre-amp. It doesn't have a headphone jack. You'll still need to buy a headphone amp to use with the turntable.

Some headphone amps have the ability to also be used a pre-amp for speakers. Allowing you to use the headphone amp as a volume control for either active speakers or a power amp and passive speaker setup. An example of a headphone amp like that would be the Schiit Magni 2 Uber for $149 (note that the Magni 2 standard version doesn't have the pre-amp feature). Most of the other Schiit headphone amps can also be used as a pre-amp volume control for speakers.

bru87tr likes this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I went headphone only and now it's all I listen to. I rarely have any interest in listening over my speakers anymore.

Look for a used Oppo HA-2. I got one here for a good price and the sound is great.

I eventually want to try a new preamp to see if it can be improved on.

4. My setup is all headphone. I have a Technics player running into an Art DJ Pre II and then to a Schiit Magni 2. My headphones are HD598s. I like it a lot. It was affordable and I think I will keep it even after I finally add a system with speakers.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Should you spring for the Rega table, bear in mind some phono stages double as headphone amps. I know for sure Clearaudio have one but would bet other manufacturers do too.

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I was going to say splurge, but What Hi-Fi sure likes the Pro-Ject. Seems like you could get the USB version of that and an AudioQuest DragonFly...well, maybe no way to control the volume. And converting analog to USB needlessly for what you want to do. But yeah the "preamps" in those aren't like a standalone preamp. What headphones do you have?

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

8. mogwai3

I have Bose Q25 Noise Cancelling, and as much as I love them, would consider other options.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

You might want to cruise around head-fi some. Lots of info there.

rodentdog likes this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I second the Bellari suggestion, it's a phono stage with a built-in headphone amp. You can also find them used for good prices. Just look up the specs and see their headphone impedance range, if you're planning to upgrade the cans. Impedance matching is important with cans, if you want good sound. Beyerdynamics 880, at 250 Ohm, should probably do the trick nicely, and Amazon has them for good prices. If you go that route, then you don't need a built-in phono, which is almost never a good thing, with the exception of Linn, maybe.

11. mogwai3

Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely check out the pre-amp, especially intrigued by the Sennheiser's

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh Dear God, please do so. I love mine for airplanes, but they are NOT hifi whatsoever. I love love love my AKG K240DFs, long out of production, not sure what the current equivalent is.

And my second piece of advice would be to audition headphones and headphone amps together. Yeah, some headphone amps have a low output impedance, but that won't always be a happy match. And you want to be sure the amp will drive the headphones loud enough for you, not always a given if they are like 600 ohm pro stuff.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Turntable without speakers setup. Your a wild and crazy guy!!!!!

14. mogwai3

It's actually you're, not your.

15. mogwai3

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 598s or something along the AKG line as recommended above.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It's a message board, relax grammar police. :(

Do you critique your friend's phone texts ?

recklessczar likes this.
  17. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

mogwai3

MoFi Electronics is introducing a standalone phono stage with volume control and headphone jack.

This may be a perfect solution for your setup.

There are two models to choose from but not sure if it's available yet as I'm considering buying the Ultra version.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Sennheiser HD599 and HD598 are a good headphone. The lower models in the HD5xx series are also good. The Sennheiser HD599/HD598 isn't as punchy or aggressive as some other headphones. They're on the relaxed and musical side of the spectrum. The Best Buy stores with a Magnolia AV section should have the HD599 or HD598 in stock at a listening station to give them a try to see if you like that style of headphone sound. It depends on the styles of music you listen to. For classic rock and similar music they are a good choice. For electronic and club music you'll probably want a headphone with more punch and stronger and more extended bass.

The Senns combined with any of the Schiit headphone amps, or a number of other affordable headphone amps, would work well with a turntable system. If you end up with a turntable that needs an external phono pre-amp the Bellari VP130 (combo phono preamp and headphone amp) would also pair well with the Senns.

Carlox and mogwai3 like this.
  19. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Hi Ram, I have the Sennheiser HD598...
    Do you know (sorry, I believe you are a "fan" of these models and please excuse me if i am wrong...:D) what is the difference about the sound quality between the HD598 the HD599?
    I would like to know if the HD 599 has improved on the bass sound...
    I think the HD 598 concerning the bass, maybe ... "a little light"...
    What is your opinion?:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.